vacuum / magnetic Rod holders.

Overmiwaders

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend I have a SWB 4WD need something to transport around around beats when fishing , Never used one Which are any good?

O M W

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive got the vaccuum ones and ive never really used them as i have visions of smashed carbon and bent reels if they pop off. Id be much more confortable with magnets as they either stick or they dont.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Woodsy

Reaction score
Ive got the vaccuum ones and ive never really used them as i have visions of smashed carbon and bent reels if they pop off. Id be much more confortable with magnets as they either stick or they dont.

You are thinking of the wrong holders then 🤣 the ones I use are tested to lift 70kg of sheet metal

Woodsy

Reaction score
1631091626206.png

kimbo

Reaction score
I've used magnetic, can't fault them, I've also used suction and you have to make sure the cups are clean and the car where they fit is clean, I have had them lose suction on the off occasion, magnetic ones are either magnetic or not

Rrrr

Reaction score
You are thinking of the wrong holders then the ones I use are tested to lift 70kg of sheet metal
Ive never managed to budge mine while stuck to the car testing them. I alwas just half the rods and put them through the headrests though as ive got quite a long car.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Ive never managed to budge mine while stuck to the car testing them. I alwas just half the rods and put them through the headrests though as ive got quite a long car.

Jezz I could not be arsed with that lol, I could move half a dozen times a day on some fisheries...and I always manage to hook the back seat 🤣

Rennie

Reaction score
I've had Vac Racs all my days. The only probs you'll ever get are when they are incorrectly fitted. Mounted correctly they won't come off and will be safe and secure for your treasured possessions.
You need a clean flat vehicle surface, a clean suction cup, and plenty of saliva.
Mount the cup on the clean vehicle surface after lubricating with saliva with the lever in the neutral position, push the lever to the fully off position for a moment or two, before slowly moving the lever through the neutral position to the fully on position.
Thing is, if you just think you can just whang a magnetic one on with no probs, well without cleaning the surface of the car and rod rac, you'll plough the paintwork with all the crap caught between.
Also, buy one pair of Vac Rac's, you'll never need to change no matter the vehicle or its metallic content!.
Seriously, there are times I struggle to get mine off, so securely are they stuck to the body work.I'm on my 9th vehicle with the same Vac Rac's, never a problem!
Pedro.

Overmiwaders

Reaction score

It’s steel do they Do they make them to match the colour ?

O M W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc andy

Reaction score
I've had Vac Racs all my days. The only probs you'll ever get are when they are incorrectly fitted. Mounted correctly they won't come off and will be safe and secure for your treasured possessions.
You need a clean flat vehicle surface, a clean suction cup, and plenty of saliva.
Mount the cup on the clean vehicle surface after lubricating with saliva with the lever in the neutral position, push the lever to the fully off position for a moment or two, before slowly moving the lever through the neutral position to the fully on position.
Thing is, if you just think you can just whang a magnetic one on with no probs, well without cleaning the surface of the car and rod rac, you'll plough the paintwork with all the crap caught between.
Also, buy one pair of Vac Rac's, you'll never need to change no matter the vehicle or its metallic content!.
Seriously, there are times I struggle to get mine off, so securely are they stuck to the body work.I'm on my 9th vehicle with the same Vac Rac's, never a problem!
Pedro.
Pedro has nailed it with his reply. As per usual (y)

charlieH

Reaction score
I use a pair of DIY ones based on glaziers' suction grips, similar to those in Woodsy's picture above.

There are a number of old threads on the subject, eg:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I use the double vac rac design and it is as solid as a rock. The only downside is that the double foot version doesn’t lock if security from them being stolen off your car is a consideration in which case you need to get the single foot version.

duncan

Reaction score
Having a LR Defender with alloy panels I have to use vacuum racks. As mentioned above, make sure the pad and panel is clean and wet with saliva. Only problem I’ve had is when they were fitted early morning when the panels were cool, then the sun came out and the temperature really rose heating the panels, one clamp came lose. Never had a problem before or since.

Piker20

Reaction score
I have vac rac and as said. Ensure clean and well auctioned and then they don't budge. Even 60mph they are grand.
Only thing I don't like is the foam seems to dent and mark and lose some body. I use a strip of old neoprene between rest and rod now and sorts it for me

reelit1

Reaction score

Open the back widow about a third and pass them in, I use the new Vac Rac, the old Vac racs got hard as hell and stopped losing suction I did have one drop off but nothing was harmed as I saw it straight away and stopped. I stuck mine to the roof and hung off the new ones and every thing was fine.

reelit1

Reaction score
I have vac rac and as said. Ensure clean and well auctioned and then they don't budge. Even 60mph they are grand.
Only thing I don't like is the foam seems to dent and mark and lose some body. I use a strip of old neoprene between rest and rod now and sorts it for me
Do you cross thee straps over before securing the rods, I do it twice if I have two rods on one side.

reelit1

Reaction score
Pedro.
I.m on my second set as the suction cup got hard over time and lost suction, the new ones are far better.