UV beads to hold worms.

Fall prince

Reaction score
I’ve seen a guide use small UV beads slid onto the bait holder hook just below the worms. I’m assuming they are too provide (1) Uv light attraction and (2) to aid holding the lobworms in place. Does anyone have an experience with these; for example who manufactures the UV beads?

Woodsy

Reaction score
I’ve seen a guide use small UV beads slid onto the bait holder hook just below the worms. I’m assuming they are too provide (1) Uv light attraction and (2) to aid holding the lobworms in place. Does anyone have an experience with these; for example who manufactures the UV beads?
I remember fishing the wood pool as a teenager and having a great morning fishing. I had a fish and my dad had two. Doesnt get much better than that... until a German man arrived, without setting his alarm clock, and caught 4 in no more than half an hour!

I joked with him asking what's his secret and as a teenager, he was willing to help. Turns out he was using powerbait salmon eggs at the bend of the hook. He offered some to me but even as a teenager I didn't feel right putting them on.

It was a rubbery soft ball but I doubt it is permitted on an irish fishery.

Back to the beads... if you use a soft rubber bead it may work but you will have to check with fishery before fishing it with worms I'd reckon. A hard bead will slip off as easy as it slips on.

Fall prince

Reaction score
I remember fishing the wood pool as a teenager and having a great morning fishing. I had a fish and my dad had two. Doesnt get much better than that... until a German man arrived, without setting his alarm clock, and caught 4 in no more than half an hour!

I joked with him asking what's his secret and as a teenager, he was willing to help. Turns out he was using powerbait salmon eggs at the bend of the hook. He offered some to me but even as a teenager I didn't feel right putting them on.

It was a rubbery soft ball but I doubt it is permitted on an irish fishery.

Back to the beads... if you use a soft rubber bead it may work but you will have to check with fishery before fishing it with worms I'd reckon. A hard bead will slip off as easy as it slips on.
Thank you Woodsy ! So the powerbait cluster was below worms or on its own ? They are used precipitously in Alaska and the different is unreal however as you have stated are illegal, even over there is some rivers.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Thank you Woodsy ! So the powerbait cluster was below worms or on its own ? They are used precipitously in Alaska and the different is unreal however as you have stated are illegal, even over there is some rivers.
the worms were threaded up the line/hook as usual and he put the egg at the end of the shank which stopped the worms slipping round the bend.

Fall prince

Reaction score
the worms were threaded up the line/hook as usual and he put the egg at the end of the shank which stopped the worms slipping round the bend.
Ahh yes. Seen that in Alaska. I fished the kenai for kings and silvers a few years ago and the powerbait scent increased the chances by like 100% as the scent smell was carried down the pool for fish to pick it up. It was so potent, locals only fished when “bait and scent” we allowed.