Usk 2021

sewinfly

Reaction score
For me today was my last day of the season.
I finished a night shift and went straight to the river after work.

Still dark at 6.30 so got the gear out of the car and waders on and walked up the beat.
Started fishing at first light and with river perfect conditions I fished the fly.

Several hours later and not a touch.My friend turned up so we wandered further down the beat.

Fishing a good pool the Snaelda /Francis went on and after several casts the line drawn tight a lift into the fish and with the rod bucking over several times all went slack,so ends the 2021 season for me on the Usk.

With 13 salmon and the biggest at just under 16 pounds and about 6-8 lost.

The most memorable was hooking into a submarine of a fish that did not jump but just kept swimming up river slowly and not being able to stop it.

So there ends 2021 and with more NRW restrictions looming we are on a hiding to nothing.

Sewinfly. ........

golantman

Reaction score
For me today was my last day of the season.
I finished a night shift and went straight to the river after work.

Still dark at 6.30 so got the gear out of the car and waders on and walked up the beat.
Started fishing at first light and with river perfect conditions I fished the fly.

Several hours later and not a touch.My friend turned up so we wandered further down the beat.

Fishing a good pool the Snaelda /Francis went on and after several casts the line drawn tight a lift into the fish and with the rod bucking over several times all went slack,so ends the 2021 season for me on the Usk.

With 13 salmon and the biggest at just under 16 pounds and about 6-8 lost.

The most memorable was hooking into a submarine of a fish that did not jump but just kept swimming up river slowly and not being able to stop it.

So there ends 2021 and with more NRW restrictions looming we are on a hiding to nothing.

Sewinfly. ........
three of us fished in the chainbridge area yesterday and didt even see a fish, the river seems to be bereft of salmon.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I've heard of a couple of very coloured fish coming out last week but I doubt there is any autumn silver about these days

Nash

Reaction score
Well Spencer it is interesting what the NRW rules do for salmon catches which they use for their statistical lies as evidence to impose even more ridiculous and impractical restrictions on us legal salmon fishers. This from their experts, who I doubt even know what a salmon river is even if they are drowning in one. Arr but they have (paper) qualifications!!. But they don’t have PROPER qualification from years ON THE RIVER BANK

Just so I’ve got it right you have caught 7 salmon on shrimp in the 15day shrimping season on the Usk and 1 salmon of fly. Total catch of 8 so far for the year. Brilliant and well deserved. I am seriously jealous.

What do you think your catch your catch might have been if you have been able to use shrimp from 16th June? No, this is not a trick. I personally think you could have had considerably more. More that is for inclusion in the numbers used by the NRW fishery expert for their analysis.

The NRW fishery statistics are totally dependent on anglers’ returns and they always use these to justify further restrictions on the lower catches when they have previously imposed restrictions purely to reduce catches!!! An ever planned decreasing circle( by the antis??)!

I am totally on your side and I am fully in favour of in shrimp from 16th June and (micro barbed) hooks. Wish shrimp was allowed on the Wye and now he Severn. But never mind from 16th June I can of course worm for barbel and whatever fish decides to takes the bait. After all no more famous an angler than Bernard Venables said this is the method for barbel.
Is it me or do we anglers seem to be the ones penalised for the lack of migratory fish in rivers by angling authorities ?
I'm sure we did not cause the steep decline in migratory fish !!!