Usk 2021

sewinfly

Reaction score
Same as the previous earlier picture had me and JJ thinking again, there seems to be more Sewin about it than brownie.
I don't think it's fully reconditioned after winter.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Fished yesterday went through several pools and not a touch.Nothing seen to.
Great water and the fly was fishing nice to.

Hell of a Grannmon hatch lasted best part of the day.River full of shucks but no trout rising for them?

First of the Sandmartins arrived in the sky over the river taking the flies that were hatching.

Looking in the river seen a shoal of mullet make their way way up river on the inside and big to they were.

Sewinfly.............

sewinfly

Reaction score
Fished early this morning in a few pools.
Watched a lovely big brown swim by to.

Sandmartins not nesting in their usual banking but a lot further up the river.

The curlews were loud this morning to.
Kingfishers, sandmartins,tree creeper were all out and the sound of a woodpecker to.

Found 2 birds nests on the path one was a thrush with an egg shell close by,the other not sure.

Must of been a good bird to take them out and drop them hardly untouched.

Big shoal of mullet to were about.

Sewinfly......

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_151217.jpg
    IMG_20210421_151217.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 211

sewinfly

Reaction score
Seen this the other day.

Three nasty individuals were caught yesterday evening illegally fishing at Lower Llangibby Fishery by Ian Jones NRW plus I believe two colleagues and P.C. Mark Powell Gwent Police.

Vehicle unknown to me at present but appears to be the same ones that have been fishing there for the last few weeks.

I have sent our thanks to NRW for recognition of good work.

A witness statement will be provided for prosecution

Richardgw

Reaction score
A disastrous season for me fish covered and not a fish touched.
So dark arts used today.

Cock was 15Ib and the hen 11Ib.
Two fish lost as well.

Sewinfly.......
Well done. Glad to see someone cocking a snoot to and taking full advantage of NRW’s ridiculously short 15 day Usk shrimp fishing season.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Well done. Glad to see someone cocking a snoot to and taking full advantage of NRW’s ridiculously short 15 day Usk shrimp fishing season.
Your bloody right there Richard.
Absolutely ridiculous NRW when most of welsh rivers have a month :mad:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
So dark arts used today.

Two fish lost as well.

Sewinfly.......

A couple of nice fish so well worth it. Thats a skill I have never tried but as with most things there is far more to it than putting a bit of bait on a hook and lobbing it into the river!

uplands50

Reaction score
So dark arts used today.

Two fish lost as well.

Sewinfly.......
Well done Spencer, I’ve hardly fished the Usk or Wye this season , thinking of dusting of my Barbel gear, but the Wye is too low and green even for that😢

sewinfly

Reaction score
Fished early yesterday and with the mist overhead and coming off the fields.
On went a Reverend Mole.

About 4 casts into the session and this 11 pounder took the fly.
Later had a 10 and a 5 to the whiskers,not got a picture of me holding the 10 pounder my mate took a picture but didn't come out as such.
Lost one to.

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_071201.jpg
    IMG_20210915_071201.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20210915_071905.jpg
    IMG_20210915_071905.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210915_103527.jpg
    IMG_20210915_103527.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210915_073653.jpg
    IMG_20210915_073653.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Richardgw

Reaction score
Well Spencer it is interesting what the NRW rules do for salmon catches which they use for their statistical lies as evidence to impose even more ridiculous and impractical restrictions on us legal salmon fishers. This from their experts, who I doubt even know what a salmon river is even if they are drowning in one. Arr but they have (paper) qualifications!!. But they don’t have PROPER qualification from years ON THE RIVER BANK

Just so I’ve got it right you have caught 7 salmon on shrimp in the 15day shrimping season on the Usk and 1 salmon of fly. Total catch of 8 so far for the year. Brilliant and well deserved. I am seriously jealous.

What do you think your catch your catch might have been if you have been able to use shrimp from 16th June? No, this is not a trick. I personally think you could have had considerably more. More that is for inclusion in the numbers used by the NRW fishery expert for their analysis.

The NRW fishery statistics are totally dependent on anglers’ returns and they always use these to justify further restrictions on the lower catches when they have previously imposed restrictions purely to reduce catches!!! An ever planned decreasing circle( by the antis??)!

I am totally on your side and I am fully in favour of in shrimp from 16th June and (micro barbed) hooks. Wish shrimp was allowed on the Wye and now he Severn. But never mind from 16th June I can of course worm for barbel and whatever fish decides to takes the bait. After all no more famous an angler than Bernard Venables said this is the method for barbel.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Well Spencer it is interesting what the NRW rules do for salmon catches which they use for their statistical lies as evidence to impose even more ridiculous and impractical restrictions on us legal salmon fishers. This from their experts, who I doubt even know what a salmon river is even if they are drowning in one. Arr but they have (paper) qualifications!!. But they don’t have PROPER qualification from years ON THE RIVER BANK

Just so I’ve got it right you have caught 7 salmon on shrimp in the 15day shrimping season on the Usk and 1 salmon of fly. Total catch of 8 so far for the year. Brilliant and well deserved. I am seriously jealous.

What do you think your catch your catch might have been if you have been able to use shrimp from 16th June? No, this is not a trick. I personally think you could have had considerably more. More that is for inclusion in the numbers used by the NRW fishery expert for their analysis.

The NRW fishery statistics are totally dependent on anglers’ returns and they always use these to justify further restrictions on the lower catches when they have previously imposed restrictions purely to reduce catches!!! An ever planned decreasing circle( by the antis??)!

I am totally on your side and I am fully in favour of in shrimp from 16th June and (micro barbed) hooks. Wish shrimp was allowed on the Wye and now he Severn. But never mind from 16th June I can of course worm for barbel and whatever fish decides to takes the bait. After all no more famous an angler than Bernard Venables said this is the method for barbel.

Hi Richard

I have landed 11 salmon so far on prawn and lost I think 5 and landed 1 on fly.So I suppose if there was a formula from the 16th June that could be used to a certain degree.
All fish were lightly hooked in the top lhs of the jaw
Total so far this season 12 fish.

I have been fishing the fly since the 3rd March with not a touch,unbelievable.
When I caught that fish on the fly I fished it no differently since the start of the season.

Spencer...........

Rennie

Reaction score
Hi Richard

I have landed 11 salmon so far on prawn and lost I think 5 and landed 1 on fly.So I suppose if there was a formula from the 16th June that could be used to a certain degree.
All fish were lightly hooked in the top lhs of the jaw
Total so far this season 12 fish.

I have been fishing the fly since the 3rd March with not a touch,unbelievable.
When I caught that fish on the fly I fished it no differently since the start of the season.

Spencer...........
Sewinfly, I had almost exactly the same on Ribble last season.I went all year without a fish, I think a couple of touches at best.Then into Oct. I contacted 6 in a day- landing 3 and a week later landed probably my personal best Salmon.Then back to nothing again.
I did nothing any different, same pools, same line of thought same approach, for so long gave me nowt, then bingo!.
This season is following the same pattern, except for there's no water and less fish!.
Yours worried, Pedro.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Sewinfly, I had almost exactly the same on Ribble last season.I went all year without a fish, I think a couple of touches at best.Then into Oct. I contacted 6 in a day- landing 3 and a week later landed probably my personal best Salmon.Then back to nothing again.
I did nothing any different, same pools, same line of thought same approach, for so long gave me nowt, then bingo!.
This season is following the same pattern, except for there's no water and less fish!.
Yours worried, Pedro.
It is a strange one indeed, when you have covered several in a day throughout the season and not one pull,nip as you start to doubt yourself "I did :rolleyes: "
Think this year has been written off for me.

We were talking on the beat Wednesday about not catching and giving our reasons for our poor inability ;) to catch.
But when the rivers had more fish in them your chances of a taking fish to the fly was even better.Now fewer fish and your chances of a fish wanting the fly are even less.

Andrew B

Reaction score
It is a strange one indeed, when you have covered several in a day throughout the season and not one pull,nip as you start to doubt yourself "I did :rolleyes: "
Think this year has been written off for me.

We were talking on the beat Wednesday about not catching and giving our reasons for our poor inability ;) to catch.
But when the rivers had more fish in them your chances of a taking fish to the fly was even better.Now fewer fish and your chances of a fish wanting the fly are even less.
I’m convinced esp with your namesake Sewin, that on the fly you ideally need the numbers or a shoal to create some form of competition or aggression. Time was if decent shoal suddenly turned up and was showing? Then I only had myself to blame if I couldn’t catch a few. I’ve always struggled to catch salmon on the fly though even when I’ve had them in front of me.
Glad to hear you’ve a least had some fish this season in dire conditions.