Usk 2021

sewinfly

Reaction score
Waiting for my vaccination
Where are you in the tier system Steve.
I'm 9 I think.

Strange season last year and I suppose if you put it into context we have suffered very little except for those that have lost family and close friends.

There's been food there to be bought.So all being well it will start to ease over the next couple of months.

I'll be looking to cast a line just to get some memory retention back into the body.
Will have to start tying a few flies not done any since early last year.
But keep buying tackle 😉

Sewinfly. ............

uplands50

Reaction score
Spencer,
I’m in 5 so should not be too long, may get a cast this spring if the clown in Cardiff allows us to drive, It’s a long walk to Usk from Neath.

sewinfly

Reaction score
It is a long walk Steve 😉
How did you fair last year can't remember who caught what to be honest.

Would be nice to get that early fish on the bank.

Sewinfly. .........

uplands50

Reaction score
Nothing of the Usk, fished mainly the Gwent beats, but hardly saw a salmon. Managed a 14lbr from the Wye, and a three for a week in Scotland on the Beauly.
Turned out ok considering did not fish much, let’s hope for better this year.🙏

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Nothing of the Usk, fished mainly the Gwent beats, but hardly saw a salmon. Managed a 14lbr from the Wye, and a three for a week in Scotland on the Beauly.
Turned out ok considering did not fish much, let’s hope for better this year.🙏
I know that feeling well! It was July before I could get on last year and so missed the best of the fishing and of course the drought hit which really killed it! I fished it around 4 times just to stay acquainted rather than with any real expectation and like you, saved the blank with a trip to a Scotland for a couple of fish .

sewinfly

Reaction score
Just tied this and hopefully if Drakeford lets us out.
My first photo will look something like this 🙄
Sewinfly......

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_152922.jpg
    IMG_20210218_152922.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 128

Aled

Reaction score
Hi guys, looks like i may have access to some fishing on the upper Usk next season, so as i'm in fly tying mode at the moment, could anybody suggest a few trout patterns to add to my trout box specifically for the Usk.
Tight Lines
Aled

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hi guys, looks like i may have access to some fishing on the upper Usk next season, so as i'm in fly tying mode at the moment, could anybody suggest a few trout patterns to add to my trout box specifically for the Usk.
Tight Lines
Aled
Size 14, 16 and 18 parachute dries in olive and black, medium Dunn tail and hackle.

Size 14 and 16 deer hair emergers

Also have a look at the Gwent Angling Society page for some effective patterns

sewinfly

Reaction score
Tight Lines
Aled
Jingler .
Great for when the March Brown hatches.

Sewinfly.........

Last edited:

Aled

Reaction score
Yeah i know i was hoping for a local travel rule, but it's not arrived. Its quite likely though that we will be allowed to travel after the 15th of March.
Cheers
Aled

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Yeah i know i was hoping for a local travel rule, but it's not arrived. Its quite likely though that we will be allowed to travel after the 15th of March.
Cheers
Aled
I hope thats the case! It was well into drought season by the time I could get across the border last year so had about 3 visits in low hot water before fishing was suspended!

Hoddom

Reaction score
I hope thats the case! It was well into drought season by the time I could get across the border last year so had about 3 visits in low hot water before fishing was suspended!
If your from England you need the Welsh and English rules to align . Can’t see that happening for at least 5 weeks yet. Maybe by mid April

sewinfly

Reaction score
Maybe this might grab an Usk springer.

Sewinfly. .....

Attachments

• IMG_20210223_100707_resized_20210223_110759756.jpg
    IMG_20210223_100707_resized_20210223_110759756.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 90

Sewinboy

Reaction score
What size fly would you recommend fishing the Usk in April, assuming your fishing with the river up 2 foot?

sewinfly

Reaction score
Hi

I will probably be fishing a Sean Stanton 14 mm flange signature tube.
This will be yellow/black along the lines of a Posh Tosh with an overall length of about 30-70 mm.
Also gold bodied 1" copper tube Willie Gunns are a good bet to.
Also depends on height of river to but coupled to a sink tip usually covers all except for the really deep holes.
1614107913768.png

Sewinfly......................

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_144009.jpg
    IMG_20200328_144009.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

nickolas

Reaction score
Yes its still there and run by Jean.

Sewinfly......................
Many thanks for that, last time I was there was 50 years ago when I was at the agri colleg, the college had two local vets one had fishing just up stream out of town, once or twice he would say to me that he had a spare rod would I like to fish it, to a guy on an allowance of £1 a week that was out of this world.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Well it's opening day on the Usk and with the town gauge at 0.58 m, I would of been on the beat if Drakey would of opened up to us.

Let's hope on the 12th March there will be a change.

Sewinfly. ..........

Reactions: Gpu

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Totally agree. It would be painful to miss the spring two years in a row!