Usk 2020

sewinfly

Reaction score
All the best to the Usk rods and visiting rods for the new season.

We wait for NRW I suppose in writing to confirm exactly what will be the new recommendations as they will have to make everybody aware.
I know people who are waiting like many others before commencing fly-tying,hooks being changed on lure,spinners etc.
They really do need to pull their fingers out.:confused:

Sewinfly......................

Mepps4me

Reaction score
We have been in this position now for the last three years, maybe four - of not knowing the intentions of the NRW with only a few weeks before the start of the fishing season. No point in whinging as it does not make any difference, but it really is not good enough.
Best of luck this year Sewinfly and keep the reports coming.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Hi Mepps-4me

Do my best to keep the reports coming as of when I fish the river.Hopefully be able to bag an early fish.They are there not in numbers but if you can find a good pool all the better.
Are you fishing lower down this season ?

Cheers

Sewinfly.............

sewinfly

Reaction score
I will be fishing the lower Tywi, Cothi and Gwili - Carmarthen Amateur
Been a few years since I dropped out of CAAA .
Really enjoyed Palace Pool and Cystanog,Barley Mount.Nantgaredig when fishing the beats.

Sewinfly............

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I'll be back on the ISCA waters with the benefit of having some knowledge of the pools and tactics this time around!

uplands50

Reaction score
I'll be back on the ISCA waters with the benefit of having some knowledge of the pools and tactics this time around!
And me may bump into you, I also fish the Gwent Waters. Managed a couple of the Gwent waters which for my effort I was quite pleased with.

sewinfly

Reaction score
What a travesty the new rules from the NRW.
Prawn and shrimp from 1st September to the 15th September. :censored:

No better way of lightly hooking a fish in the lip and releasing it.You miss more than you catch !!

We are being done over like kippers by the NRW.

Sewinfly. ......

iainmortimer

Reaction score
What a travesty the new rules from the NRW.
Prawn and shrimp from 1st September to the 15th September. :censored:

No better way of lightly hooking a fish in the lip and releasing it.You miss more than you catch !!

We are being done over like kippers by the NRW.

Sewinfly. ......
I'll have to read them! I wonder how much of that is to try and increase catch rates up so that at the end of the year they can say that on comparison from 2019 to 2020 an improvement has occurred and so delay the need to take action...not that I'm cynical about such things :noidea:

DaveUsk

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve just been lucky enough to join Isca waters and am really looking forward to giving the the Isca beats a go! Particularly excited, if not a little apprehensive about the tidal waters. Any advice would be gratefully received! I’ve always just used a floating line, Will I need a sink tip, sinking line? Cheers.

sewinfly

Reaction score
I'll have to read them! I wonder how much of that is to try and increase catch rates up so that at the end of the year they can say that on comparison from 2019 to 2020 an improvement has occurred and so delay the need to take action...not that I'm cynical about such things :noidea:
Hi Iain

We could fish bait from June until 16th September, now we lose 3 months and all we have is 2 weeks.When I attended several LTFG meetings over the years even the bods there concluded that prawn and shrimp was the most effective way of catch and release as nearly all fish were lightly hooked in bottom or top jaw.

So how catch rates will increase if that's what your saying I don't know unless I have misread your post.

Everything in those blxxdy meetings fell on deaf ears with hard evidence provided to them.

Cheers
Spencer. .........

Silurian

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve just been lucky enough to join Isca waters and am really looking forward to giving the the Isca beats a go! Particularly excited, if not a little apprehensive about the tidal waters. Any advice would be gratefully received! I’ve always just used a floating line, Will I need a sink tip, sinking line? Cheers.
You will fine with a floating line and small shrimp flies on the tidal stretch of (Isca) the Usk. As it’s tidal it fishes better in low water. You should familiarise yourself with the Tide times also, if you are travelling to fish from a field and you arrive on the River and a big tide is up you won’t be able to fish for a few hours. I believe the best time to fish is when the tides have dropped back, then give it an hour for the fish to settle in the pools.

When I joined Isca A.C several years ago, they held An introductory day when new members were walked by the river by long standing members and showed the pools and good lies, where the fish hold up. I found this very useful. Enquire if there is one this coming season.

Tight lines for the season.

Richardgw

Reaction score
For the Newbridge tidal beat, polyleaders are all that is required as you will be fishing at low tide and lower water levels – heavy water moves the fish further up the river. You have the chance of some lovelly fish down there but below Plas Lecha the environment is not pleasant and the state of the banks thick with tidal mud and glupe can make it very dangerous. If they still run their introduction days for new members run by Brian, I would think it worth your while.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hi Iain

We could fish bait from June until 16th September, now we lose 3 months and all we have is 2 weeks.When I attended several LTFG meetings over the years even the bods there concluded that prawn and shrimp was the most effective way of catch and release as nearly all fish were lightly hooked in bottom or top jaw.

So how catch rates will increase if that's what your saying I don't know unless I have misread your post.

Everything in those blxxdy meetings fell on deaf ears with hard evidence provided to them.

Cheers
Spencer. .........
Sorry you read me correctly Spencer but I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were saying that they’d re-allowed it rather than shortened it. I don’t prawn or worm and so wasn’t aware of the rules last year for that. Now in do understand, I have to agree with you.

DaveUsk

Reaction score
Thanks both, appreciate your comments and will definitely take advantage of the introductory days. I am local so hopefully will get a handle of the tide heights etc with trial and error. Besides Abergavenny town water what are the other beats like? Good trout I would imagine, what about the salmon. Thanks again.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The advice given by the guys above is pretty spot on. 10’ and 5’ slow and medium foot leaders on a floating line will be fine. The tidal stretch is not hard to fish but as mentioned you definitely want the tide times. Moving tides and high water is a waste of time so plan trips to fish at low water. You should get info on the new member tours in the next few weeks. I might repeat one or two so may bump into you. They are definitely worth doing as you’ll gain decades of hard won knowledge in a couple of hours!

sewinfly

Reaction score
Sorry you read me correctly Spencer but I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were saying that they’d re-allowed it rather than shortened it. I don’t prawn or worm and so wasn’t aware of the rules last year for that. Now in do understand, I have to agree with you.
I rarely fish worm at all, I am for the the fly the majority of my fishing.I enjoy it so much.
But floating a prawn or touch ledgering at times is so exciting and can be addictive.
The bites of the salmon can be very inquisitive with the rod tip quivering but not a full take which seems to go on for an eternal time or with a float as it bobs once or twice as it flows with the current or on the other hand it's disappeared completely!

Now for only 2 weeks of the year probably going to miss that excitement .

They have definitely taken it away from us the NRW.

Sewinfly. .........

golantman

Reaction score
For the Newbridge tidal beat, polyleaders are all that is required as you will be fishing at low tide and lower water levels – heavy water moves the fish further up the river. You have the chance of some lovelly fish down there but below Plas Lecha the environment is not pleasant and the state of the banks thick with tidal mud and glupe can make it very dangerous. If they still run their introduction days for new members run by Brian, I would think it worth your while.
Go to the river walk but first get on to the isca Facebook page. It's full of great information and THE the main way for members to communicate place for contact between members, catch details, tactics, the lot! It's very well run, always quick responses and the best way for members to communicate.

Gpu

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am thinking of joining ISCA waters this year and just wanted to know if anyone else fishes it who drives along the m4 to get there & would be interesting is sharing lifts etc.
G

sewinfly

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am thinking of joining ISCA waters this year and just wanted to know if anyone else fishes it who drives along the m4 to get there & would be interesting is sharing lifts etc.
G
There do have a FB page, might be worth a go.

Sewinfly.................

golantman

Reaction score
The Usk at Chainbridge topped out at 5.9 metres this morning. highest ever level recorded. I am sure that many of the pools and lies will have altered considerably once this has gone through.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Indeed. I saw a video this morning from the bridge in Usk town which is pretty scary. It’s not far off breaching the wall along the bank

sewinfly

Reaction score
I should imagine the water has reached our hut on the banking.
Was going to drive down there but I expect the lane towards Llantrisant is flooded from the Newport direction.

Sewinfly. ............