Used 14’1” Sage Graphite IV

John Keane

Reaction score
Is this a good rod for shooting heads and short-head Spey lines (AFS 8/9, Short Head Spey 8/9 & Scandi Versitip 9)

I’ve seen one for sale at £380, which seems a bit steep?

Are these the rods designated “European”?

Also, where does it come in the timeline of Sage models and when was it introduced.

Thanks, in advance, for any info you can offer.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I had one up to about 18 months ago and it was a lovely rod with spey lines and shooting heads. Best with lines around 38g such as Rio AFS or Gaelforce Equalizer 39g shooting head.
Gaelforce 9/10 Spey lines in 54ft and 63ft were great.
The asking price is way too expensive in my opinion and think £250 - £275 for mint condition is about right and £200- £225 for a good used one.
The Hardy Marksman T 14ft 9wt is a similar actioned rod though much lighter in the hand and is probably a better buy for the money.

Cheers Diarmid.

AdeyB

Reaction score
Owned an ex demo one for years, they are superb rods - will handle shooting heads or full spey lines , either Rio or Carron . The old Mach 55 seemed to really suit it.
In my experience favour a 9/10 rated line , used a 650 grain skagit too.
May be worth just checking if John Norris have one for a price comparison.

beardog

Reaction score
I had one about 9 years ago and have very fond memories of it. Used it exclusively with an 8/9 AFS hover, as that was what the guy at GAC recommended as it was a ‘European’ rod. A bit heavy in the hand, but cast a lovely line. I kept the rod for about a year before moving it on in search of something better.
This was before I had a suitcase full of heads in most weights, and I have often thought of getting another one to see if a different weight or length of head would get a little something extra out of it.
What I liked most about the rod was that it only caught bars of silver.

John Keane

Reaction score
Sounds like positive reviews but I don’t think I’m likely to pay £380.

Norris have a 4-piece 14ft Graphite III for around £200.

Is that what people are calling a “brownie”?

langavat

Reaction score
sage rod

Same as everyone else says excellent rod, he"s way out with the price, I only paid £170 for the 16ft! £200 about right me thinks
Langavat

AdeyB

Reaction score
Sounds like positive reviews but I don’t think I’m likely to pay £380.

Norris have a 4-piece 14ft Graphite III for around £200.

Is that what people are calling a “brownie”?

The graphite 3's a nice rod too and think that was the brownie model. I see Norris have reasonably priced 15' europeans but not much use if your after a 14' !