Upper Findhorn, last week of July?

Troutstream

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience fishing the upper Findhorn around Old Clune and Tomatin around end of July/early Aug time?

I have the opportunity for fish up there but have been struggling to find much info of catch reports. I’m not sure if it might be too early in the season for that stretch.

Thanks in advance for any advice to a long time lurker and first time poster ?.

Troutstream

MCXFisher

Reaction score
As HM rightly notes, up there water is the vital ingredient. I haven’t fished the water that early, and usually spend a week at Tomatin in September. Even then the water can be a lottery.
There will be fish present, especially in the deep pools like the Elbow by Clunie Kirk. A small rise will wake them up a bit. But the summer run doesn’t arrive without a sustained spate. Most often it doesn’t get beyond the middle beats.
If there’s low or no water, your best bet might be to go to the Association water at the bottom of the river. Contact Bankwheel on the Forum for information.

clydesider

Reaction score
Check regularly on the 14 day weather forecasts for the Kingussie/Newtonmore areas and that will let you know if there is a chance of some water in the Tomatin area.
Mike

romanbuczynski

Reaction score
Good luck, please let us know how you get on. I am booked on Old Clune second week in September, so watching in interest.

zebraness

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience fishing the upper Findhorn around Old Clune and Tomatin around end of July/early Aug time?

I have the opportunity for fish up there but have been struggling to find much info of catch reports. I’m not sure if it might be too early in the season for that stretch.

Thanks in advance for any advice to a long time lurker and first time poster ?.

Troutstream

zebraness

Reaction score
Here’s a snap of strathnoon pool - the cottage beside which featured in another thread recently- its a small world!
7B6238CB-CF3F-417F-AAFA-5B5E9908B330.jpeg
872FC112-178B-41B3-B205-24BFBD3CC3DE.jpeg
872FC112-178B-41B3-B205-24BFBD3CC3DE.jpeg

zebraness

Reaction score
Had ...
It doesn’t last long this time of year - despite the weather- needs to hit the particular catchment
There will be fish tucked away tho and more coming soon hopefully

Z
F6A30174-3DB0-4E8A-9D18-116540C750AB.png