Upgrade 13' 6" #8/9 - recommendations?

nickolas

Reaction score
Ian if you can find one the zenith is my go to 13fter, have fished with one since the came out, have just bought a loop 12ft 6 travel rod from there outlet.

Pete V

Reaction score
Hi Ian
I have a 12ft 4 piece 8wt Thomas & Thomas in my rod cupboard. I have had it for a while but have only used it a couple of times. It is in practically perfect condition. I cannot see myself ever using it again.
It would be nice to give it a good home. I am willing to donate it to a worthy cause.
Let me know if you are interested.

Pete

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hi Ian
I have a 12ft 4 piece 8wt Thomas & Thomas in my rod cupboard. I have had it for a while but have only used it a couple of times. It is in practically perfect condition. I cannot see myself ever using it again.
It would be nice to give it a good home. I am willing to donate it to a worthy cause.

Pete

Thanks Pete but it is a 13’6” that I’m after. I’ve got an 11’8” Clearwater switch at that end and so it would be an abuse to buy that from you!

Igaffz

Reaction score
Thanks Pete but it is a 13’6” that I’m after. I’ve got an 11’8” Clearwater switch at that end and so it would be an abuse to buy that from you!
Keep an eye on John Norris, they sometimes reduce the hardy zephrus, I got the 13’6” for £540 instead of £800! It’s a fantastic rod.
It’s back up in price at the moment but they may put it on sale again?

Henke

Reaction score
Thanks for those that suggested this rod. Pretty much everything I read about them when researching rods made them a strong choice but sadly beyond the top end of my budget. possibly a bit heaver (grain weight wise) at the 13'6 length than I ideally want too.

Thanks to everyone else that has made suggestions. Lots to consider but it has helped me to narrow down the options. I use a Greys GR80 trout rod but hadn't considered them for the salmon rod and so that's one added to the list! So many of the rods I liked the sound of are 13' but I do like the extra 6" for the reasons summed up by MCXFisher. It also fits perfectly between my switch rod and 15' -er

Price approx. 350 GBP - brand new directly from LTS ! Not near 500 GBP...
But I do understand that you find that it might be a bit heavier (line weight) that you want.. (36-38 gram approx.).

iainmortimer

Reaction score

Price approx. 350 GBP - brand new directly from LTS ! Not near 500 GBP...
But I do understand that you find that it might be a bit heavier (line weight) that you want.. (36-38 gram approx.).
Thanks Henke,

My current collections is:

11' #7 switch
13'6 #8/9
15' #10/11

The rod I want is to take over that sweet spot in the middle which covers the majority of my fishing and so moving up to a 9/10 doesn't quite fit the bill. Nice rods though.

I might consider stepping down to 13' but want to maintain the #8/9 rating. The Lpxe v3 at that length looks like a nice bit of kit at that length

Last edited:

HMarquis

Reaction score
LTS Across 13' #7,8,9 - you could possibly get one in the price range you are looking for. Or pick up a 2nd hand 13'6" Zenith

Rrrr

Reaction score
Thanks Henke,

My current collections is:

11' #7 switch
13'6 #8/9
15' #10/11

The rod I want is to take over that sweet spot in the middle which covers the majority of my fishing and so moving up to a 9/10 doesn't quite fit the bill. Nice rods though.

I might consider stepping down to 13' but want to maintain the #8/9 rating. The Lpxe v3 at that length looks like a nice bit of kit at that length
The lpxe series does tend to be on the fast end of things. Not sure if theyve toned it down with the v3.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Pete V

Reaction score
I have an Epic 6 piece 13ft 8wt blank that I will build sometime in the future. Maybe you should consider building your own.

It's a further expansion of the idea of catching a fish on your own made fly.

I draw the line at making my own lines or reels.

Pete

DC

Reaction score
what about a self build option.?

On the forum , The Flying Scotsman (TFS) has a project to import some interesting blanks... I'm thinking of going down that route...

I've ordered
10 x 11ft 7wt Switchs
10 x 12’9 9/10
10 x 13’6 9/10
10 x 10ft 15-40g spinners
10 x 10’6 15-40g spinners
I've also designed 4 more sample blanks and ordered
2 x 10ft #7 single handers for grilse
2 x 12'2 #7
2 x 13ft 8/9

or look at some Bloke options

iainmortimer

Reaction score
what about a self build option.?

On the forum , The Flying Scotsman (TFS) has a project to import some interesting blanks... I'm thinking of going down that route...

I've ordered
10 x 11ft 7wt Switchs
10 x 12’9 9/10
10 x 13’6 9/10
10 x 10ft 15-40g spinners
10 x 10’6 15-40g spinners
I've also designed 4 more sample blanks and ordered
2 x 10ft #7 single handers for grilse
2 x 12'2 #7
2 x 13ft 8/9

or look at some Bloke options

I'm moving in that direction too...

Snakeroll

Reaction score
Hi Ian

Pete
I have a few T&T's but not that one. 2 x 14ft 9wt and 1 x 15ft 10/11wt 5 piece. What model is the one that you have?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Maybe a Loop Cross ST 13'6 #9 MF? 6-piece and £425 at Fly Fishing Centre

I did have a look at that but from what I can see its a pretty fast action which is something that doesn't suit my casting style. Incompetence if you like!! :oops:

Greegs

Reaction score
I did have a look at that but from what I can see its a pretty fast action which is something that doesn't suit my casting style. Incompetence if you like!! :oops:

I’ve got this rod, it’s an RJ custom I got from findhorn cone head on here & it is an absolute joy to use.

I use it with a few different lines & it bends deep into the butt & recovers well.

Try & have a fling with one as you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

razzer

Reaction score
Ive had the 13ft 6 zephrus for 2 seasons now, nice and light and very powerful, as a back up ive the 13ft 9 shakespeare oracle scandi, and in all honesty id be happy using either but the snob in me keeps using the hardy.
Im seriously considering getting a refurbishment job done on the shakey hopefully to my own design, i cant knock those oracle scandis in any size so something to consider at a fraction of the cost.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I'm moving in that direction too...

Bear in mind I’m an average chucker when it comes to casting, so treat this accordingly:

If I were looking for a custom build I would look to buy a Meiser 13,6 7-9 Highlander CX blank. There are no doubt other good blanks out there, but I doubt there are any which are streets ahead of Bob Meiser and I’m pretty sure I know what this one will do. Progressive action, fast recovery.

If I had that money to spend on a new rod I think I’d be calling Norris and seeing what they can offer. LPXe should be an option. You may get something as nice as the Guideline NT8 on ‘ex demo’. For some reason, that’s the one off-the shelf rod that I’m currently tempted by (2 x 13’6” rods, 1 x 13’ and 2 x 12’6” and counting...).

Failing that, I wouldn’t be shy of trying the Airflo Airlite V2 and saving the £150. I had a lesson with one once and it was a bit of a revelation.

Make sure you try first. I’m not sure there’s many bad rods out there, but there are definitely rods that suit us better than others.

Enjoy!

Hoddom

Reaction score
+1 for the Oracle Scandi. It really is a beautiful fishing rod.
if your going a little smaller the oracle scandi 12’9” is a belter. Better than than 12’ 6” Zenith (I have both do do know)
great thing about the shakey is it’s cheap. U you can drop it, roll about in the mud, trip over it etc and not fill your pants. It’s less than 100 quid and a brilliant casting rod

Rrrr

Reaction score
+1 for the Oracle Scandi. It really is a beautiful fishing rod.
if your going a little smaller the oracle scandi 12’9” is a belter. Better than than 12’ 6” Zenith (I have both do do know)
great thing about the shakey is it’s cheap. U you can drop it, roll about in the mud, trip over it etc and not fill your pants. It’s less than 100 quid and a brilliant casting rod
I was suprised the first time i had a cast with one. It had a rio outbound line on and it flew out. Slightly heavier than my rod but not enough to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Isisalar

Reaction score
Would be well worth a chat with John Norris. They've got an exclusive range of Guideline double handers coming out soon. Similar to the Stoked single handers which are nicely soft/slow. Should be well within your budget. Think they'll be called Reacher.