Upgrade 13' 6" #8/9 - recommendations?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
My current rod in this size is a 3 section Airflo Delta Classic which I really enjoy using but ideally I'd like a 4 piece rod for ease of transport within a budget of £500.

Currently I'm using a Barrio ISS #8/9 floating with polyleaders which achieves all that I want and so something matched to that would be good. I'm far from an expert at casting and have never progressed beyond single or double spey and so I don't want something to fast actioned that will highlight my less than perfect precision timing!

What recommendations do you guys have...and just as importantly, any to avoid!

Thanks,
Iain

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive been doing the same lately as i wanted a softer rod to see if it helped with an old shoulder injury. I was ready to buy a used guideline nt8 or new vision onki as both seemed to fit what i was looking for.
Ended up with a used older greys rod from ebay after a tip off on here as it was cheap and will give me an idea if a slower rod is actualy what im after then i can upgrade if so.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

NEbody

Reaction score
I was impressed with a 13’ Greys GR60 when I tried one a couple of years ago - and it’s only half your budget.

if you can find a 13’ Vision Onki (and live with the colour), that would also fit the bill.

JoeE

Reaction score
I'd look at a LPXe V3. One on ebay the other day at 13ft. I have every size but the 13ft howveer am sure it would fit your bill nicely.

I run Galeforce floating lines and Guideline 3d/4d on the bigger rods

Rrrr

Reaction score
I was impressed with a 13’ Greys GR60 when I tried one a couple of years ago - and it’s only half your budget.

if you can find a 13’ Vision Onki (and live with the colour), that would also fit the bill.
The colour of the onki was the only thing that made me think twice about them. Its abit petty but i like the rod to match the reel
Also i was quite supprised when the greys rod id bought turned up in the post. The reel seat and handle look better quality than my guideline rods.

Neil W

Reaction score
If you can get a sage one 13’ 6” 8wt it’s an excellent rod and they do come up from time to time

MCXFisher

Reaction score
There's little doubt that 13' 6" is a very handy all-rounder, light in the hand but with enough power to cover a great deal of water. What's better, is that there are some marvellous rods at that length:
  • The Hardy Zenith Sintrix, although now 10 years since launch, remains one of the all-time greats. You might find one used at a good price. The drawback is that Hardy don't appear to have kept any spare sections. It's also perhaps more of a #9 than an 8.
  • Sage have made a succession of excellent rods at this length, especially the recent Igniter. Of course they're very expensive new, but there are used examples around. The drawback is that it's not very top-hand forgiving.
  • My personal favourite at 13' 6" is the Vision XO, which is one of the most remarkable fishing rods I've ever owned and used. See review here. The T&S testers agreed in making it their pick of the year in 2019. It has now been superseded by a graphene version, so you might still find one from a dealer at clearance price. I haven't seen a used one advertised but one might crop up as a result of someone upgrading.
If you extend to 13' then there's a huge range to choose from. Of the rods I've tested in recent years my top pick would be the Vision Tool, which again is now being superseded, but there are enough in circulation to offer the prospect of a good used version turning up.

ibm59

Reaction score
If you can get a sage one 13’ 6” 8wt it’s an excellent rod and they do come up from time to time
I have one of those. Test cast only so far.
Looking forward to using it on the river soon.

sewinfly

Reaction score
I have a new Zenith 13'6" that I have yet still to use.Suppose I will have to blow the dust off and use it.

If I need a 13 footer then the Sharpes Aquarex 8/9wt is a great rod and there's some on ebay at a great price.

Sewinfly. ...........

Petekd

Reaction score
For that price you could get a loop cross S1 second hand with change, you might even get a new one from the loop outlet. They are difficult to get S/H as people don't usually part with them
I second that, can’t speak for the rest of the range but the Cross S1 in that size is an absolute peach.

Henke

Reaction score
LTS Explosive 13'6 #9 Very nice rod and user friendly. Reduced price as they are not in the product-line anymore.

Hardy Zephrus 13'6 #8/9 Nice rode which can be found at reduced price (or secondhand) as they are not in the product-line anymore.. :)

Loop Cross S1 13' #8 (more a 8/9) Again a nice rod and it can be found at reduced price again because they are not made anylonger....

Lots of good rods out there...

iainmortimer

Reaction score
LTS Explosive is a cracking rod and very user friendly for beginners right through to experienced casters.

Thanks for those that suggested this rod. Pretty much everything I read about them when researching rods made them a strong choice but sadly beyond the top end of my budget. possibly a bit heaver (grain weight wise) at the 13'6 length than I ideally want too.

Thanks to everyone else that has made suggestions. Lots to consider but it has helped me to narrow down the options. I use a Greys GR80 trout rod but hadn't considered them for the salmon rod and so that's one added to the list! So many of the rods I liked the sound of are 13' but I do like the extra 6" for the reasons summed up by MCXFisher. It also fits perfectly between my switch rod and 15' -er

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
I was watching one of "line speed jedis" videos on youtube the other week and he had good things to say on the reddington dually which comes in a 13ft6 and should be well under budget.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Another I found was the Orvis Clearwater ( I have the switch rod which I quite like). Does anyone have experience of those? I'm sure I remember seeing some less than favourable reviews but can't find them!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
13'6 sage one is a beautiful rod if u can find one , I had the #8 , stunning peice of kit
Yeees, that has been mentioned a few times. I'm guessing that as it is so good finding one will be harder than stumbling across a winning lottery ticket in unicorn poo!

Neil W

Reaction score
Yeees, that has been mentioned a few times. I'm guessing that as it is so good finding one will be harder than stumbling across a winning lottery ticket in unicorn poo!
I had one and sold it. Regretted selling it since as its a very good rod. They do come up occasionally