Up eyed / down eyed Hooks

Pubs

Reaction score
Could someone tell me what the main differences between up eyed and down eyed hooks are from a fishing perspective? And in which instances would you use one type and not the other.
Thanks

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

P!scator

Reaction score
I only use up-eye hooks for my salmon flies, all the weight & profile is under the horizontal line of the leader so they tend to be more stable in the water & an up eye maximises the gape of the hook.

nickolas

Reaction score
They fish down eyed hooks in Europe a lot, so dont really know if up eye’s are a historical. Also they fish with perfection loop knots more than we do here in the uk.

P!scator

Reaction score
They fish down eyed hooks in Europe a lot, so dont really know if up eye’s are a historical. Also they fish with perfection loop knots more than we do here in the uk.
I know a few who fish with rapala knots for small hooks which is very simular, I can't really see any advantage of down eyed hooks, up eyed hooks also tend to pull the points deeper into the fishes mouth rather than turn the points out again.

One of the reasons I never used Salars tbh, look good but never saw any benefit of a hook point being turned in, seemed to counter any benefit of the up eye & made them poor hookers of fish

Elibank

Reaction score
I know a few who fish with rapala knots for small hooks which is very simular, I can't really see any advantage of down eyed hooks, up eyed hooks also tend to pull the points deeper into the fishes mouth rather than turn the points out again.

One of the reasons I never used Salars tbh, look good but never saw any benefit of a hook point being turned in, seemed to counter any benefit of the up eye & made them poor hookers of fish
Yes, I’d agree with most of that - I use Waddingtons quite a lot, and have armed them with Partridge X1BR trebles because of the outpoint setup. When tying the fly, I check the angle of the eye because I am concerned with the “wrench out” possibilities when using anything above 1.5”. If the angle looks a bit iffy, I’ll flatten the eye somewhat with pliers (not quite the Brora Waddington so beloved by Bill Currie, but I feel more comfortable with it).

Woodsy

Reaction score
I did look into this a while back searching on here and on Facebook and the general consensus was price.....

I tie a moy loop knot so whatever the eye type, the fly always swims straight anyway

Pubs

Reaction score
I did look into this a while back searching on here and on Facebook and the general consensus was price.....

I tie a moy loop knot so whatever the eye type, the fly always swims straight anyway
Thanks i must check out the Moy knot. I've never heard of it before

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
I use the rapala knot quite a bit when fishing small flies like a size 14 on 15lb maxima late season. You get quite a bit of extra movement.

Used it for this one a couple of weeks back, spotted them with the bib and couldnt resist giving them a swim. Turns out they dont wiggle much and are a pig to cast with the bib but it was worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

nickolas

Reaction score
I use the rapala knot quite a bit when fishing small flies like a size 14 on 15lb maxima late season. You get quite a bit of extra movement.

Used it for this one a couple of weeks back, spotted them with the bib and couldnt resist giving them a swim. Turns out they dont wiggle much and are a pig to cast with the bib but it was worth a try.

Nice try, more r &d.?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Nice try, more r &d.
I bought them from ebay just to try really. The idea was slower pools with resident fish, what i found was that they took alot of speed to dive. It meant they wouldnt do much untill you set up for a cast and started to drag the fly to the surface, then they would dig in and dive. You have to roll them onto the surface as you would a fast sinking line as it unsettles them and they stay on the surface.
I rekon they may work but in deeper and faster pools.