U-40 Cork Sealer

Lurig

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it is a good or bad idea to put U-40 Cork Sealer on a cork Salmon Fly Rod handle ?

Thanks in advance. :confused:

paddymc

Reaction score
Great idea on a new rod.

Keeps the filler in place, prevents soiling and extends life of handle.

Lurig

Reaction score
Does it cause any problems with the breathability of the cork ie. stopping the cork from drying out properly if any water makes it into the cork .

paddymc

Reaction score
Does it cause any problems with the breathability of the cork ie. stopping the cork from drying out properly if any water makes it into the cork .
I have done it on several new rods and never had a single problem.

It's the first thing I do after buying a new rod.

ibm59

Reaction score
Pm rs2ford.
He’s been using it for years , and should know of any pitfalls.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Hi Lurig,
I have been using it for years as Brian said and would highly recommend it. It is also the first thing I do with a new rod, same as Paddy.
The trick is to apply it lightly, and once dried give it a rub over with some ultra fine sand paper. It leaves a great finish that seals the cork for years. I have a 10ft Sage Z Axis that I bought new in 2013 and the cork has zero filler missing and still looks superb. Apply too much and it's slippy feeling which will annoy you.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

Lurig

Reaction score
Hi Diarmid.

Thank you for letting me know this & I will make sure that I put just a very fine coat on.

:):thumb:

Pierre03

Reaction score
I have used U-40 Cork Sealer on all my rods new or used since seven/eight years now and I'm very satisfied and can recommend it.