Tyson Fury v Wilder third fight predictions

Andrew B

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see who Fury faces next?

Dillion Whyte is the mandatory WBC challenger and he is fighting Otto Wallin on 30th October, should he come through that unscathed will Tyson honour the mandatory in early 2022 if the WBC forces it as they seem to be saying today.

He wont have anything else to do as AJ v Usyk 2 will also be spring 2022. It will most likely be summer 2022 before a potential undisputed could take place.

I think Tyson would pick apart Whyte, I dont think it would be a great fight as I dont think it would really motivate Tyson and he might just raise his game high enough to win.

There wasn't anything different about Wilder this time around and I don't think Tysons performance in this fight was as good as the second fight, he was much better and sharper and more dominant in the second fight but his preparations weren't as good this time round so it could be expected and forgiven. After round two Wilder was already gassing and he reverted to type, crabbing towards Tyson measuring with his left hand and telegraphing the big right hand which just got slower and slower until it was easy for Tyson to see.

I still think AJ beats Usyk next time around and hopefully we will see the start of the AJ v Fury series.

I dont think Fury is the puncher some are saying in terms of single shot knockout power, Wilder was just a skinny legged 15.75 stoner who had never really been hit before Ortiz. He really doesnt cope well with being hit and until Tyson nobody had every really managed to hang a few on him apart from Ortiz. In last nights fight he proved to be durable but every good punch affected him badly, even a good jab and had Tyson landed a clean right hand after round three it would have been over much sooner. That said Im sure he carries enough power to trouble AJ.

I think AJ will put up a stronger challenge to Tyson than Wilder did, Wilder had nothing but a big right hand and taking that away he was easy to hit and easy to push around the ring, he has a very low boxing IQ and very poor footwork. AJ at least can box and wont be as easy to hit as Wilder but Im not sure he has the right mental attitude for this game now, he has looked shaky since Ruiz 1 whereas Tyson is so confident and also now very experienced in the real high pressure situations.

I really hope we see a couple for Fury v AJ fights in 2022 but sadly they will most likely be in Saudi whereas as I think they should have been held at Wembley in front of the home fans, all 90,000 of them.

There is a part of me who would like to see Tyson retire unbeaten as his story is an great one. The trouble is I struggle when he starts being a dick and I like the more reserved way AJ conducts himself and also his desire to grow and learn. Hopefully we get to see them and they do British boxing proud.
Wilder as I’ve always maintained couldn’t box but his tenacity for pulling out that big punch was to be admired. That said I think I’m right in saying Wilder held a long-standing record for facing opposition out of the top 20 and there were some opponents not even in the 100? Somehow his team managed to get YouTube to scrub the footage of him being floored by some fat guy before he was champion. Even his fight against Malick Scott was highly dubious as to wether Scott took a dive. AJ has never had such luxury of being handed promoted mandatory opponents from nowhere.

Nonetheless he will go down as having one of the most powerful KO punches in history as last night still proved.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see who Fury faces next?

Dillion Whyte is the mandatory WBC challenger and he is fighting Otto Wallin on 30th October, should he come through that unscathed will Tyson honour the mandatory in early 2022 if the WBC forces it as they seem to be saying today.

He wont have anything else to do as AJ v Usyk 2 will also be spring 2022. It will most likely be summer 2022 before a potential undisputed could take place.

I think Tyson would pick apart Whyte, I dont think it would be a great fight as I dont think it would really motivate Tyson and he might just raise his game high enough to win.

There wasn't anything different about Wilder this time around and I don't think Tysons performance in this fight was as good as the second fight, he was much better and sharper and more dominant in the second fight but his preparations weren't as good this time round so it could be expected and forgiven. After round two Wilder was already gassing and he reverted to type, crabbing towards Tyson measuring with his left hand and telegraphing the big right hand which just got slower and slower until it was easy for Tyson to see.

I still think AJ beats Usyk next time around and hopefully we will see the start of the AJ v Fury series.

I dont think Fury is the puncher some are saying in terms of single shot knockout power, Wilder was just a skinny legged 15.75 stoner who had never really been hit before Ortiz. He really doesnt cope well with being hit and until Tyson nobody had every really managed to hang a few on him apart from Ortiz. In last nights fight he proved to be durable but every good punch affected him badly, even a good jab and had Tyson landed a clean right hand after round three it would have been over much sooner. That said Im sure he carries enough power to trouble AJ.

I think AJ will put up a stronger challenge to Tyson than Wilder did, Wilder had nothing but a big right hand and taking that away he was easy to hit and easy to push around the ring, he has a very low boxing IQ and very poor footwork. AJ at least can box and wont be as easy to hit as Wilder but Im not sure he has the right mental attitude for this game now, he has looked shaky since Ruiz 1 whereas Tyson is so confident and also now very experienced in the real high pressure situations.

I really hope we see a couple for Fury v AJ fights in 2022 but sadly they will most likely be in Saudi whereas as I think they should have been held at Wembley in front of the home fans, all 90,000 of them.

There is a part of me who would like to see Tyson retire unbeaten as his story is an great one. The trouble is I struggle when he starts being a dick and I like the more reserved way AJ conducts himself and also his desire to grow and learn. Hopefully we get to see them and they do British boxing proud.
I think Fury must arrange an undisputed clash with Usky within 30 days or fight Whyte as his WBC mandatory

If arranged, it will no doubt depend on him needing to beat AJ for a fight in the summer...

If Usyk loses then you'd imagine he's free to arrange another fight, with the winner. AJ. If he wins.

As theres No way either man can actually fight in 30 days. It's a way to avoid whyte and set up what he wants in Summer 2022.. Gamble is, AJ just needs to win

I agree that AJ won't be as easy as Wilder.. he's a far better technician and a lot bigger for one. so won't be bullied as easy and can carry Furys bulk better when he come to lean on him..

But as we've seen at the moment AJ has lost the will to dig deep and go to war like he did against Whyte and Vlad... the Ruiz fight has definitely changed him but despite abandoning the wrecking ball style hes still in very good fights... I too like his humbleness and how he conducts himself but i think there's a lot about it is an act. Its not him... the big showtime entrance fireworks high fiving everyone ti his own theme music was like a Rocky film.. it's just not what it's supposed to be about, is it. Has he got swept up in the hype a bit himself ?

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
I think Fury must arrange an undisputed clash with Usky within 30 days or fight Whyte as his WBC mandatory

I cant see Fury arranging anything with Usyk on the basis of him coming through the AJ rematch as it would mean Fury not fighting again until mid or late summer. Surely he wants to be active at least twice next year? I also think he knows that until he beats AJ he cant be considered the greatest of his generation. Of course that assuming Usyk was just a fly in the ointment.

Yes I agree some of the AJ stuff is manufactured in terms of his personality but again at least its well manufactured and aimed at creating a positive role model for others. I want to see the bad lad that was there in the early days, the one who wanted to be spiteful against Whyte and took obvious pleasure in teasing him and knocking him out.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I cant see Fury arranging anything with Usyk on the basis of him coming through the AJ rematch as it would mean Fury not fighting again until mid or late summer. Surely he wants to be active at least twice next year? I also think he knows that until he beats AJ he cant be considered the greatest of his generation. Of course that assuming Usyk was just a fly in the ointment.

Yes I agree some of the AJ stuff is manufactured in terms of his personality but again at least its well manufactured and aimed at creating a positive role model for others. I want to see the bad lad that was there in the early days, the one who wanted to be spiteful against Whyte and took obvious pleasure in teasing him and knocking him out.
I think that might suit him tbh. Just depends how active he wants to be...

I don't think he needs AJ on his record to prove anything. He's there already. He just sees him as the biggest money fight on the table.. he's getting older now Fury and last night there were signs he's slowing a bit and not throwing as many feints as usual.. 1 big fight and away off into the sunset might be the plan..

Springer

Reaction score
I think that might suit him tbh. Just depends how active he wants to be...

I don't think he needs AJ on his record to prove anything. He's there already. He just sees him as the biggest money fight on the table.. he's getting older now Fury and last night there were signs he's slowing a bit and not throwing as many feints as usual.. 1 big fight and away off into the sunset might be the plan..

Surely I wouldnt be the only one not to recognise him as the best of his generation without beating AJ at least once? You have to beat them all to be seen as the beat, speculation doesn't go down in mine or the record books.

Fury has already said he has more than enough money already. I dont think his Gypsy Pride would allow him to retire knowing he ducked AJ. The only way I can see Tyson avoiding a multiple fight deal with AJ is if AJ implodes. Even then there has already been talk of fighting without the belts just to prove who's best.

I hope Tyson sticks around for another 2-3yrs.

luney

Reaction score
Yip, the Doctor was up several times looking at him. Given he was only looking for 1 big shot and being badly beaten in all departments they could have pulled him out again.. I don't think they'd the stones tho after the second fight and let it go...

Wilder really shouldn't have been in the ring for that 3rd fight imho.
Whatever Wilder says, Breland made the right decision in the second fight he was never winning that. Breland paid the price for having Wilders best interests at heart

paddymc

Reaction score
Surely I wouldnt be the only one not to recognise him as the best of his generation without beating AJ at least once? You have to beat them all to be seen as the beat, speculation doesn't go down in mine or the record books.

Fury has already said he has more than enough money already. I dont think his Gypsy Pride would allow him to retire knowing he ducked AJ. The only way I can see Tyson avoiding a multiple fight deal with AJ is if AJ implodes. Even then there has already been talk of fighting without the belts just to prove who's best.

I hope Tyson sticks around for another 2-3yrs.
1). If he is not the best of his generation, can you please tell me who is and why?

2). Did he duck Joshua? Going on what has been seen live on TV, from both of them, why would he?

Springer

Reaction score
1). If he is not the best of his generation, can you please tell me who is and why?

2). Did he duck Joshua? Going on what has been seen live on TV, from both of them, why would he?

In my world a generation isnt 2-3yrs, its more like 6-10yrs and you need to beat more than two blokes to be the best.

Klitschko for example recently was the best in his generation, Ali undoubtedly was in his and there have been others.

I like Tyson, Im not against him at all but he has only beaten two significant heavyweights in his career albeit one of them a couple of times, that doesnt make him the best in his generation in my books. Before Klitschko Tyson beat a load of nobodies at world level just like Wilder. Tysons resume is there to see and it doesnt take a genius to compare it to other fighters out there like AJ. Since AJ became world champion he has the best resume of the HWs, he has fought the greater range of mandatories and challengers with higher world rankings than Fury and Wilder. That doesn't mean AJ is the best but he's been the most active, he hasn't had easy fights like Scwarz, Wallin, Seferi and Pianetta as Tyson has or rolled over a few clowns like Wilder.

At present I think Tyson has the potential to be the greatest in his generation but he has to beat some of the challengers that are out there for me and I expect the rest of the boxing world. Since Klitschko you cant really pin a best in generation title onto any of the next generation simply because they haven't fought each other and a generation hasn't passed.

Its HW boxing, a single shot from AJ could turn Tysons lights out, until we have seen them fight its no good awarding the title of best in generation based on supposition. Becasue of Covid and the impact it had of fights not happening we have all but lost a couple of years from the sport, AJ, Fury and Wilder have all gotten older and we might never end up getting that definitive best in generation thing sorted. I would want to see AJ beat Wilder and Tyson before he could deserve the best in generation title plus a few others maybe. Have we got time for it all considering the main three protagonists are wealthy beyond their wildest dreams, do they have the motivation to slug it out? Will we ever even see Wilder box again?

I think to for anyone to have the best in generation title applied to them they need to stick around for another three years and have at least 4-6 more fights to establish exactly who's the daddy. Im not sure any of the top three will do that.

As for ducking and diving, I dont think Tyson ducked anyone, the reason AJ and Fury didnt get it on before now is simple and easily explained.

Tysons team or principally Bob Arum thought they could wriggle out of a rematch with Wilder or at worst buy him out relatively cheaply so they could pursue the big Saudi money fights with AJ. They simply made a mistake in thinking Wilder wouldn't want the third fight and hoped that because of Covid the time clause had elapsed with Wilder. A Judge in the US decided it hadn't and the compensation they needed to pay Wilder to avoid him was way too much so Tyson had to honour the original agreement, that is all public knowledge.

Its a good time to watch the HWs but like so many other times in boxing the money and politics might ultimately rob the fans of seeing they fights they deserve, terms like best in a generation end up being debated online instead of being proven in the ring.

Last edited:

Hoddom

Reaction score
best in generation- I’m of a certain age.
Ali the daddy for me. The all time best. His ability pre the ban, character, what he did beyond the ring and the glamour to inspire black kids of my age

then the kiddies 😉
Joe lewis
rocky marcione
Jack Dempsey
smokin joe
miike tyson
lennox lewis

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
From Fury's point of view why would A.J be of any interest to him when he could say if he had never become ill A.J would maybe of never held any title.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Watched a re-run of the fight on line last night. Plenty of links.
Said it before, Fury is an ungainly fighter, with skinny looking legs (probably huge but look skinny under him) and always looking a bit flabby. Doesnt look an athelete. Also, his punches look unorthodox, not text book.
However, he seems to have natural strength and stamina. A manual worker not a gym monkey.
A bit like Klitschko though, he seems very heavy handed. No big explosive punch, but even the pawing taps carry weight.

As for the knockdowns, one seemed to hurt Fury, the other more surprised him. After the 4th round, Fury was caught a few more times but Wilders punches had lost their snap and they came as arm shots not with feet planted.
Fair play to wilder, some heart to pick himself up and continue to take the battering he did.
As others have said, after round 2 he was fighting on instinct. Between rounds he seemed on a different plannet. Staring into space, looking vacant, no reaction to instructions from his corner.
I know he had a punchers chance but that was no real reason to leave him in there. He could have got seriously hurt.
The final knock down he was like a rag doll and could have gone down a few punches earlier.
Fortunately for wilder, fury doesn't seem a natural finisher.
Once a big shot landed, people like Tyson used to give themselves a bit of room, pick their punches and ruthlessly dismantle people in a flurry of blows.
Job done though, however you get them out of there.

Springer

Reaction score
From Fury's point of view why would A.J be of any interest to him when he could say if he had never become ill A.J would maybe of never held any title.

Because history and legacy isnt built on ifs and buts, if Klitschko had fought better Fury may never have been champion, how about that?

Whoever holds the majority of the belts after the AJ V Usyk rematch will be an obvious fight for Fury, no question about it. Also add a payday of around £50 million per fight and Im sure it will pique his interest somewhat.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Because history and legacy isnt built on ifs and buts, if Klitschko had fought better Fury may never have been champion, how about that?

Whoever holds the majority of the belts after the AJ V Usyk rematch will be an obvious fight for Fury, no question about it. Also add a payday of around £50 million per fight and Im sure it will pique his interest somewhat.
So what's the interest in that fight when he fails to get the belts back, do you think he will take a 70 to 30 money split, like they offered a belt less Tyson.

salarchaser

Reaction score
The governing bodies all want 'to be in charge'. It seems they'd rather the belts stay apart.
The logical way forward would be to chuck AJ a couple £M to step asside to allow Fury and Usyk to fight with him getting a guaranteed fight against the winner.
Others can fight each other to be next in line after AJ.
Won't happen but would get an ultimate world champion.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
So what's the interest in that fight when he fails to get the belts back, do you think he will take a 70 to 30 money split, like they offered a belt less Tyson.
Funny how AJ doesn't care about belts now he has none.

TBH AJ wouldn't sign to fight either Fury or Wilder when he was holding them, it's desperation now he's looking at not getting them back. Usyk isn't a gimme by any means in the rematch.

They also danced around with Wilder to Fury got off the couch signed and beat him...

Looking at it now, i wonder did they hand pick the smaller guys hoping to pad a record knowing Wilder or Fury would spark him. Looks like smaller guys can bang a bit too.

Pati

Reaction score
The governing bodies all want 'to be in charge'. It seems they'd rather the belts stay apart.
The logical way forward would be to chuck AJ a couple £M to step asside to allow Fury and Usyk to fight with him getting a guaranteed fight against the winner.
Others can fight each other to be next in line after AJ.
Won't happen but would get an ultimate world champion.

only issue is AJ has a better chance against Usyk of getting back the belts than against Fury… so from his perspective he ll probably prefer to fight usyk first all the more so as it will prep him well for the Fury fight… From Usyk perspective he has much more chances of keeping the belts in a rematch against AJ than against Fury too…

All in all your solution is the best for boxing fans, but too risky for 2 of the 3 boxers ;-)

Ideally I d like to see Usyk win again vs AJ then see Fury beat Usyk whilst AJ rebuilds some legitimacy by taking on Wilder. If AJ doesn’t beat Wilder (after beeing defeated twice by Usyk in that scenario) then AJ can’t ask to fight Fury…

Springer

Reaction score

The current layout amongst the HWs now looks clear this morning.

Providing Dillion Whyte beats Otto Wallin on 30th October Tyson will have to face Whyte as his mandatory WBC challenger, the date will be early spring 2022. Tyson doesnt have a choice other to relinquish his WBC belt which I dont think he will do. He will get paid a fortune to fight Whyte and it will keep him ticking over until the winner of the Usyk or AJ fight in the summer. Thats said I dont think Dillion Whyte will be a pushover for Tyson but he should come through it if he is on his game.

When it comes to a unification between Tyson and AJ if they both win those next fights the purse will be split 50//50 because both boxers will be in the exact same position belts wise as they were when a 50/50 split was agreed earlier this year.

Tyson doesnt run this show, he needs a dance partner and whoever has those other belts will be seen as an equal in terms of purse split.

salarchaser

Reaction score
only issue is AJ has a better chance against Usyk of getting back the belts than against Fury… so from his perspective he ll probably prefer to fight usyk first all the more so as it will prep him well for the Fury fight… From Usyk perspective he has much more chances of keeping the belts in a rematch against AJ than against Fury too…

All in all your solution is the best for boxing fans, but too risky for 2 of the 3 boxers ;-)

Ideally I d like to see Usyk win again vs AJ then see Fury beat Usyk whilst AJ rebuilds some legitimacy by taking on Wilder. If AJ doesn’t beat Wilder (after beeing defeated twice by Usyk in that scenario) then AJ can’t ask to fight Fury…
I agree there are other agendas in play.
Im too impation though.
Your scenario will take 18 months to 2 years to play out.
Mine would take 6 months. ;)

Springer

Reaction score
Funny how AJ doesn't care about belts now he has none.

TBH AJ wouldn't sign to fight either Fury or Wilder when he was holding them, it's desperation now he's looking at not getting them back. Usyk isn't a gimme by any means in the rematch.

They also danced around with Wilder to Fury got off the couch signed and beat him...

Looking at it now, i wonder did they hand pick the smaller guys hoping to pad a record knowing Wilder or Fury would spark him. Looks like smaller guys can bang a bit too.

Clearly your not a fan of AJ or someone who is looking at this in an unbiased way.

There is absolutely no evidence to prove or even suggest AJ ducked Wilder, Fury or anyone. Considering AJ fought every mandatory he was given and others in between I dont think its accurate to suggest he ducked anyone.

It get tedious listening to fans of either side throwing accusations, I find the facts far more interesting.

Springer

Reaction score

The paths ahead are clear, Usyk V AJ 2 is now in the planning with the rematch clause formally activated on Saturday and both parties agreed on a timetable.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Clearly your not a fan of AJ or someone who is looking at this in an unbiased way.

There is absolutely no evidence to prove or even suggest AJ ducked Wilder, Fury or anyone. Considering AJ fought every mandatory he was given and others in between I dont think its accurate to suggest he ducked anyone.

It get tedious listening to fans of either side throwing accusations, I find the facts far more interesting.
So there wasn't negotiations between Wilder and AJ that fell through before he signed to fight Fury?

I didn't say anyone ducked anyone, just Fury signed first with the guy who wanted to fight. That is a Fact.

I'm completely unbiased when it comes to AJ or any HW boxer, it's why Ive seen through the hype.

Funny I was often accused of being a Fury fan boy years ago for not following the press and running him down when it was fashionable to do so..

rotenone

Reaction score
There wasn't a good word said about Fury on this forum at one stage, those of us who have grown up boxing recognised his talent.
There hasn't ever been a man of his size with the combination stamina, punch variety, footwork and toughness in history. IMHO opinion he is the most skillful heavyweight I have seen.

If a 16 stone usky gave Joshua nightmares a 19 stone fury would destroy him. Joshua is a hype train clueless when he gets hit, predictable repetitive punch combinations.

I don't know how people can rate him as a boxer, he's a powerhouse nothing more and compared to Wilder far less skilled, Wilder is a much better fighter then he was credited with, but is obvious his ego got in the way of his training.

I think a pre Fury Wilder would have beaten Joshua convincingly. Most of the fighters who Joshua beat were mentally beat before getting in the ring, they had little or no expectation of winning.

Any fighter with ambition t he struggled with, Whtye with a damaged shoulder was seconds from knocking him out, Takam gave him murder broke his nose and out boxed him, a small man in Ruiz should have got nowhere near jim, he's a good fighter that the Hearns ruined with money, he had smoke blown up his behind since the dubious Olympic gold his advisers cared for him so much they brought in mcracken to train him.

He needs a complete training and management team change imho

Springer

Reaction score
So there wasn't negotiations between Wilder and AJ that fell through before he signed to fight Fury?

Its hard to know one way or the other.

There was a supposed offer of £50 mil from Wilders team but when Hearn asked Finkle to send the contract it never materialised, I doubt any of us will ever really know what happened.

I tend to not get into the 'he said''she said' stuff in that regard, when the fights happen I draw my conclusions from them and the boxers performances.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Its hard to know one way or the other.

There was a supposed offer of £50 mil from Wilders team but when Hearn asked Finkle to send the contract it never materialised, I doubt any of us will ever really know what happened.

I tend to not get into the 'he said''she said' stuff in that regard, when the fights happen I draw my conclusions from them and the boxers performances.
Hearn offered a contract first. Wilder responded by sending his own, that at least doubled the purse... the deal then stalled and Fury signed to fight the man that signed his contract. That lead to a career defining trilogy. AJ then got sparked on his US debut..

I think, realistically, there was only ever going to be 1 trilogy between these fighters and they all knew it.. . After all the talk, only 2 put it on the line against the reputed best in the world to see where they stand. That and results since is enough to draw conclusions on this generation Imho.