Tyne 2015

boner

Reaction score
2 off the fed today,both to my own rod,18 and a 14.
Lmao when guys with full floating lines and a size 10 cascade wonder why they ain't catching.knobs.
Ice maiden btw......inty sink 2\

Nath

Reaction score
Lmao when guys with full floating lines and a size 10 cascade wonder why they ain't catching.knobs.
Well done on your fish mate, 2 spingers and off the fed is certainly good going. I fished the fed for 3 years and only had a few in the that total time. From what I can gather they don't get many springers, as they just run straight through. What pool/s merrysheilds, the boat?.

I am never sure about the ice maiden, is it a spring fly, or just for used any time? Coloured water? Think it looks great!

Cheers

Reaction score
Your spot on there. The people I hear moaning that there are no fish when they are jumping on piece then you watch them fish and realise they would only catch one if you tied it on the end for them!
Well done on your catch!

p.regan

Reaction score
really 2 springers lol get over urself mate kelts lol

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

marty31

Reaction score
:confused: what is the outcome? is it kelts? or is it springers? don't know the tyne at all , but I do know that the fed water is very canal like! (just the type of water that kelts like) sorry don't want to try and suggest anything :eek: they might well have been sealiced springers its pics :rolleyes: that's what we need, then :) the debate starts proper :( and the fun starts :D;)

Sprintavoj

Reaction score
:confused: what is the outcome? is it kelts? or is it springers? don't know the tyne at all , but I do know that the fed water is very canal like! (just the type of water that kelts like) sorry don't want to try and suggest anything :eek: they might well have been sealiced springers its pics :rolleyes: that's what we need, then :) the debate starts proper :( and the fun starts :D;)
You would hope that someone who calls other anglers "knobs" on the internet because they didn't catch but he did, would be pretty sure about the difference between Springer, Kelt, Baggot, Rawner etc........ Wouldn't you ??:)

jimjohn

Reaction score
Fed website still says no fresh salmon caught on federation water,so looks like it's not been confirmed.
Marty,the Tyne fed water does have some nice fly water,the trouble is the fish in it are very reluctant to take a fly....then again maybe I'm one of the knobs;)

luney

Reaction score
Fed water

Some suggestions the fish are kelts, if this is the case I would have loved to have seen the 18iber when it was fresh!! A friend of mines son caught what we all thought was a springer, good shape not soft or saggy the only evidence to the contrary was the presence of gill maggots. Some pictures of these fish would be nice if possible.
Regards Luney

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score
Fed website still says no fresh salmon caught on federation water,so looks like it's not been confirmed.
Marty,the Tyne fed water does have some nice fly water,the trouble is the fish in it are very reluctant to take a fly....then again maybe I'm one of the knobs;)
well surly 2 fresh salmon caught this early in the season (1 18lb ) would be reported, I wouldn't bother too much about being called a "knob" I have been called a lot worse before! just maybe take the advice about the lines/tactics and who knows it might well be you with two this weekend

HazeyLemons

Reaction score
it would appear p.regan may be someone that fishes with full floater and a size 10 cascade. Plenty of fresh fish in Fed water and perfectly plausible that 2 springers were caught.

iToon

Reaction score
I fished the fed water for 3 years and alot of local rods all suggested that the water was motorway especially for the spring fish they either stop at Wylam then run through the fed and stop at the fish pass at riding mill.

There is no natural holding pools as such on the fed water which would hold up a spring fish but local lads told me that one year between 1st of Feb and 31st March 4 rods had over 100 kelts. You just have to be lucky enough to hit one on the nose going through maybe 1 but 2 i would say i would be playing the lottery that night if i was that rod.

Even during the summer months the fed is reliant on the low water and the pools down from the fish pass being so full of fish they back up down the river into their water apart from that they wont hold up.

But i could be wrong Images would put this to bed as most people have smart phones now'a'days...:confused:

boner

Reaction score
Well Done to get two Spring fish off the fed water. Do you have any pictures?
There was a guy came past while I was tailing the bigger fish and took a photo,he's a member of this forum so I'm quite surprised he hasn't posted the pic....."best fish I've ever seen" he said.
Hope he hasn't been offended by my "knobs" comment as there are a couple of popular pools where the floater would be ok,just not in freezing water in february lol!

Rennie

Reaction score
I too spent 3 years on the Fed. water a few years back(prior to the the living in the area ruling for membership).I'd second the observations so far in the fact that fish pass right on through most of the time.I fished twice a week for 3 spring seasons and had nowt but kelts-some reet lumps amongst them- and only ever saw 1 fresh fish caught.It did happen that when fresh fish did stop,more than one was taken,a few I spoke to have either heard of this or had it happen to them-never did to me tho.Enjoyed fishing the pools streams tho.but usually had it all to myself and rarely saw another angler-thats a dead give away!-if you don't go tho. you'll never find out!.Best of luck,Pedro.

SP8

Reaction score
I too spent 3 years on the Fed. water a few years back(prior to the the living in the area ruling for membership).I'd second the observations so far in the fact that fish pass right on through most of the time.I fished twice a week for 3 spring seasons and had nowt but kelts-some reet lumps amongst them- and only ever saw 1 fresh fish caught.It did happen that when fresh fish did stop,more than one was taken,a few I spoke to have either heard of this or had it happen to them-never did to me tho.Enjoyed fishing the pools streams tho.but usually had it all to myself and rarely saw another angler-thats a dead give away!-if you don't go tho. you'll never find out!.Best of luck,Pedro.
Pretty much my experience on the fed too, although I never managed twice a week you jammy b! Nice to know it wasn't just me being useless. I did see the biggest fish I've ever seen in British waters one spring day. I was wading the tail of the pool above Ovingham bridge when it head and tailed right in front of me about 10 yards away. Definitely fresh and definitely 30 plus. I hastily backed up to try to get my fly over it but by then it had probably moved on. It's a shame because there are some nice pools. Mind you I did get my car broken into up at the top pool one day.:mad:

SP8

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score

ive heard of spring fish coming from hag bank (wylam) ovington is it the next village up?also not far past hag bank they is a layby with a small weir ive seen spring fish being landed there back in the early 90s

iToon

Reaction score
There used to be a spring pool on the Wylam side of hagg bank but not anymore for what ever reason that would have been the 90's time (B4 my day)

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
//

on the left bank looking upstream of hag bank,right below the birdge the fish hold up em masse,right from underneath the bridge to about 10 yrds or so before the concrete pipeline,the fish lye right underneath yer feet tucked right into the bank,from the bridge to the start of the hanging trees the fish lye a bit furthe out,in say 6-8 feet of water at deepest,then where the trees start the fish lye right in the edge like sarndines in the john west factory waiting to get packed.....under the trees where the tips of the branches nearly hit the water....i looked of the bridge once years ago in a hot dry summer the tyne water was really low and the water seemed just that bit clear-er than normal, so looking through me polaroids i seen a channel in the edge of the pool which seemed deeper than the rest of the pool and it sort of follwed the curvature of the river bank to the faster water which comes from the concreate pipe i seen a Q of fish,now i know and have seen a couple of anglers over the years take fish from there in the early months (Feb-Mar-Apr ).

from the concreate pipe right up to the lay by on the side of the road the fish seem to never really rest there,but do further up near the very small weir behind the old water board building,they dont hold there for very long and can be a bit hitty missy sometimes but again thats also a good shot for the early months.going back to the layby on the road,if yer ever the chance in summer when the fish are full on running,have a sit on the grass on the bankside look downstream,do this when its dark and even in the pitch black if yer look at the water yer can still see the fish coming up,might sound mad but yer can see a lovly sort of wave come upstream cant miss them ,the fish fly thru there like tornados till they get to just before where you will be sat then go deeper,proper site worth seeing

SHAWY

Reaction score
Bywell springers

Just thought I would post pics of two belting springers I caught today on Bywell, ably assisted by a great ghillie, Gary Hillary. Thanks to all for making this a special day!

SECOND FISH.jpg

FIRST FISH.jpg

Last edited:

Nath

Reaction score
2 cracking fish, well done, I was on a few weeks ago and it was too high. Where you on upper or lower beat? What pools and flys did they take?

Cheers