Tying The Cascade

johnevs

Reaction score
I love doing these my favourite fly to tie and use they look great on silver salar size 9s

Last edited:

stew1

Reaction score
Quite easy to do this .

If you feel things are getting bulky at the head you can strip one side of the feathers off before tying in.This all depends on the feather density and length of hackle that you want.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
When I mix hackles, I double them as I do with any other hackle.

I'll double one hackle, say an orange one, and then double the second one, say a yellow. When the hackle is doubled the fibres sit in a 'V' shape.

I then put one of the hackles into the V of the other, tie on at the tips and wind them on as if winding on a single hackle. With the two doubled hackles, two turns is usually enough.

The fly on the left below has the middle hackles tied as above.

johnevs

Reaction score
I tend to do the opposite, one at a time, It's easier to controle the only thing going with the video method is he's relying on the head to get the hackles to lie at the right angle but doing it one at a time you can fold the hackles back as you put them in which will lie right before tying in your head which results in a smaller and neater head

Last edited:

RUSH

Reaction score
Have a look at easkys firetail cascade video further down the page it's a cracker I managed a few fish with it last season

Jockiescott

Reaction score
The colours on those are so vivid they're making my head hurt , Richard.:D
Lovely stuff.:)
Thanks Brian. :)

The story of those two this season?

Well, the one on the right with the Guinea Fowl hackle got hung on a bush early on. :eek: The one on the left got me my second fish of the season in early August. A nicely shaped, plump fish of around 8lb. :)

aasenke

Reaction score
Looks amazing. I would think that any predatory freshwater fish would grab that guy!