Tying on steep angled cones

Hoddom

Reaction score
I picked up some very small cones. Around 10mm. With a taper a bit like Sean Staunton tubes but the taper is way way steeper- maybe 45 degrees. I can’t remember which brand they are. any tips on tying with them. As soon as I tie a tail in the thread and hair slides straight down the slope’ and off the end. I’m putting a good bed of thread down and waxing. I also tried the opposite too. Maybe I should just tie on the othe end but I want the shape (little heavy Francis)
here’s a picture next to a spool of thread for Scale
thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59

mc andy

Reaction score
Possibly don't put a bed of thread down first, use the grooved body to your advantage, and getting a grip of your thread. I would still wax your thread though.

Not sure of your thread? But I wouldn't use any of the nano silks, as these are very slippy even when waxed.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Possibly don't put a bed of thread down first, use the grooved body to your advantage, and getting a grip of your thread. I would still wax your thread though.

Not sure of your thread? But I wouldn't use any of the nano silks, as these are very slippy even when waxed.
I tried not putting down a bed too. I tried 14/0, 8/0 and 6/0 thread ( the pic is just for scale 😀 it’s thre ply floss!

Hoddom

Reaction score
You don't need wax, superglued thread wraps are the answer
I never tie with glue. Doesnt seem right.. Maybe time to try. Makes it slow though, putting glue on every couple of turns and waiting. Still - needs must. Maybe time to ask Jeff to send some.

rotenone

Reaction score
I never tie with glue. Doesnt seem right.. Maybe time to try. Makes it slow though, putting glue on every couple of turns and waiting. Still - needs must. Maybe time to ask Jeff to send some.
Every custom tyer of hair wing salmon flies from my part or Ireland uses super glue with hair wings, the super glue and scalpel method is by far the strongest, if you put the glue onto tin foil it does not set for a long time, you only need 2 or 3 turns of super glued thréad to hold any hair in place, so there is no need to worry about tacky glue, mess the job is done in seconds loctite is the best glue

Lurig

Reaction score
Every custom tyer of hair wing salmon flies from my part or Ireland uses super glue with hair wings, the super glue and scalpel method is by far the strongest, if you put the glue onto tin foil it does not set for a long time, you only need 2 or 3 turns of super glued thréad to hold any hair in place, so there is no need to worry about tacky glue, mess the job is done in seconds loctite is the best glue
Hi Rotenone.

Which particular Loctite Super Glue do you find best ?

I have been using Futurefly Super Glue at the moment.

:)

AlanT

Reaction score
Lay down a bed of thread first but don't do touching turns, big wide spacing up and down two or three times.
When you go down, try and trap the threads in the grooves on the way up to ensure a really tight non slip grip then a very small smear of superglue.

rotenone

Reaction score
Hi Rotenone.

Which particular Loctite Super Glue do you find best ?

I have been using Futurefly Super Glue at the moment.

:)
Just the regular loctite in a bottle, the easy brush is handy but it doesn't last as long,

cullet

Reaction score
Very frustrating to have the thread slip.a touch of glue on the thread as you tie is the answer for me.even on frodins BBTs you need a touch of glue to keep thread in place