Tying on JC

chriswjx

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a fairly new to fly tying, and mostly just trying to build the box for my first proper trip to the Tay at the end of the month.

Question I've got about tying on JC cheeks, do you tie them on forward, then fold them back? Or just tie them on straight into position?

I've been doing the former, but I saw a video last night from Eoin Fairgreave tying them just straight on?

I guess with folding them back you might get a bit more longevity, or is it just ultimately personal preference?

Cheers,
Chris

briansalar

Reaction score
Hi Chris, I have always just put them on straight into position without issue, can see that doubling back might be more secure but I just put a small dab of superglue on the thread when they're tied in for security. Just do whatever your happiest with.
good luck on the Tay.
cheers Br

ibm59

Reaction score
And don’t try to tie the eyes in on the enamel 😉
It doesn’t look right , makes it difficult to achieve , and makes the feather more susceptible to breakage.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Put them straight on then fold the tags back and that will double it up for durability. Davie Mcphail does it that way, have a look at 11:50 on the following video

Christ, cheers, 3rd way I've seen then...

Think I got the tie forward method from Iain Bain (
)

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Woodsy

Reaction score
JC is one thing I hate tying on! I rarely have them perfectly mirrored on each side.

I usually tie down and fold back like others have said. But if its a big head already, I just secure and then apply a pin drop of supper glue each side before cutting

gwelsher

Reaction score
I was same but copied the DMcP way of putting the two on at the same time and once I got used to it, it makes it a lot easier.
Hard to beat Davies techniques

Show off :giggle: I've wasted loads of nails trying to do it the Davie way of both at once and failing, I think it's black magic.
I now just tie them in one at a time and tie back the stalks.
There again I never had a nail come out when I didn't tie them back but better to be safe.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Put them straight on then fold the tags back and that will double it up for durability. Davie Mcphail does it that way, have a look at 11:50 on the following video

What Alan said. If you tie it on near the eye then you can fold the tag back and then carry on winding the thread back to lock it on which reduces bulk as you use one less layer of thread.

AlanT

Reaction score
Show off :giggle: I've wasted loads of nails trying to do it the Davie way of both at once and failing, I think it's black magic.
I now just tie them in one at a time and tie back the stalks.
There again I never had a nail come out when I didn't tie them back but better to be safe.
I have to say I didn't like it at first but practice makes perfect lol

On a serious note, I see DMcP does this a lot with various materials i.e he prepares certain hackles and feathers together either side then folds them in so that they are exact, he is the master!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I’ll try the Davie McP method of putting two on at once - tubes easy enough - but things like EDs or some hooks because of the round eye - I find it nigh on impossible to put both on and go for the one at a time - ish - just a couple of waxed wraps for one - then for the second then when happy secure both properly, fold back stems and tidy.