Two new books from across the pond ...

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Anyone read John Gierach's new book yet ... Dumb Luck and the Kindness of Strangers? His soft but solid story telling, always a sting in the tail, seems a perfect antidote to the mood of the time.

Dumb Luck and the Kindness of Strangers by John Gierach

Mark Kurlansky, the fella who did that wonderful biography of cod all those years ago, has a new book too

Salmon by Mark Kurlansky: 9780593293843 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

and it's got great reviews. Not easily available on this side of the pond just yet but remember, screw grab-all Amazon, support your local bookshop!!!!
Last edited by JACK POWER; Today at 01:52 PM.

keirstream

Reaction score
Jack,
just in the middle of reading Topher Browne's Atlantic Salmon Magic which James gave me for a read about a year ago. Personally signed by the author too.(y) I really need to give him it back.
Anyway, 2 things.
I would like to sample yankee humour a little more having just read some examples. Where do I get a copy of Dumb Luck (or indeed any yankee publication ) if not through Amazon, a tax dodging organisation that I share your intense dislike for?

GN

Reaction score

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Jack,
just in the middle of reading Topher Browne's Atlantic Salmon Magic which James gave me for a read about a year ago. Personally signed by the author too.(y) I really need to give him it back.
Anyway, 2 things.
I would like to sample yankee humour a little more having just read some examples. Where do I get a copy of Dumb Luck (or indeed any yankee publication ) if not through Amazon, a tax dodging organisation that I share your intense dislike for?
I got it Tom from Coch-y-Bonddu books, ordered week before last but yet to arrive, not seller's fault but post understandably limited right now. I suspect you'd enjoy Gierach. Especially his take on Scottish salmon fishing

I ordered the other book here ... still awaited too but suspect it'll arrive this week. In normal times I often and increasingly order books through a one-woman local book shop in Clonakilty and even if they take a few days, or weeks, longer I'm more than happy to support the independents to try to outflank Jeff $150bn ...

Hope you're avoiding the plague

keirstream

Reaction score
I got it Tom from Coch-y-Bonddu books, ordered week before last but yet to arrive, not seller's fault but post understandably limited right now. I suspect you'd enjoy Gierach. Especially his take on Scottish salmon fishing
Gierach's tome is on it's way to me Jack.
I'll compare notes.:)

keirstream

Reaction score
4 chapters in Jack. So far chasing trout under 12 inches all over Montana and Idaho with a little Utah thrown in for good measure. Even wedding parties interrupting the fishing. No mention yet of Scottish ghillies though-----------------:confused::confused:

GeeBee

Reaction score
The Gierach compendium is good value - Death, Taxes & Leaky Waders. Its the stories from his first three books, much about kinship and life seen through trout fishing. He has some real gems in there.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
4 chapters in Jack. So far chasing trout under 12 inches all over Montana and Idaho with a little Utah thrown in for good measure. Even wedding parties interrupting the fishing. No mention yet of Scottish ghillies though-----------------:confused::confused:
Tom,
I've sent you a message, at least I think I've sent you a message. New format, as our tecchy fellas might say, dodgy for the non-nerds. Please let me know if it lands or not. Best

keirstream

Reaction score
Jack,
no message received. I've been juggling the book between working in the garden every day, breathing and drinking.:)
Enjoying Gierach's quirky style. So far He's been higher into the mountains trying to avoid the ever increasing crowds and chasing Browns, Brook and Cutthroats. Even had a go at Muskys which appear rather fierce and a throwback from the dinosaur age..
Anyway, I ve sent you a p.m. just reply to it and its hands across the sea again.(y)

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Yep, it's notable how far they have to travel to try escape the madding crowd. So, are public waters really the answer?
Suspected you would have been familiar with Isolation Shepherd

keirstream

Reaction score
Dumb Luck and the Kindness Of Strangers is currently winging it's way to a shielding Big Pat Mac.
His woes have recently been ramped up when he developed a rather tender hernia last week.
Struggling in the big chair, he has plenty of malty drams in his cellar, so I thought it was the least I could do?:)

Handel

Reaction score
I ordered Cod and Salmon (sounds like fish pie) from Blackwells online. Cod turned up first and I finished that 2 days ago. Salmon arrived today. Very grand with lots of fancy photos. Published by Patagonia I see. Very interesting. I am only on page 40. This really should give him a chance to do a second edition of Cod. Many thanks for the recommendation Jack.

Handel

Reaction score
I have finished Salmon. In some ways I enjoyed Cod more because it was all new information to me. But Salmon was published this year and talks about recent developments. The amount of money being spent in the US to remove dams is quite extraordinary. We were still building dams without fish passes long after the US had banned such things.

Kurlansky definitely doesn't like the British.

Handel

Reaction score
Who does?
You may be horrified to hear that he uses British and English at random even though he has quite a lot to say about Scotland. Still it is mostly about the US and he must have had a lot of help with the research.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Bloody online booksellers, do any of them tell the truth?. My efforts to escape Amazon are frustrating and ineffective. This week, I ordered four books from Blackwells, all listed as in stock. Today I get an email saying three were "awaited from publishers" ... and that it might be some time before I get them. I used this site as my local independent bookstore is still closed but I may as well have waited!!!! First world problem I know but ...

keirstream

Reaction score
I think, to be fair nowadays, independents struggle to finance stocking less mainstream books and depend on quick turnarounds from publishers to satisfy an order. Like you, I detest Amazon with all their global tax dodges and the unholy power they wield over suppliers universally.
So, Jack, the decision is, suck it up and support your local shop even though it is frustrating the hell out of you, or turn to the Dark Side.
What is it going to be, Young Padowan?:D

JACK POWER

Reaction score
I'd start rereading all of my books before I'd order one from Jeff, that should get me out the gap though hardly broaden my horizons. I will go with local independent pay a few bob more - in advance - and wait a bit longer but that will make me feel even more virtuous.
Us Young Padowans know that revolution starts with but one step!! Be a long oul haul to do Jeff though, he's well dug in and blindly supported by millions and millions
Blackwells now tell me that three of the four are in the post.