Tweed opens with success

marty31

Reaction score
what a opening day for "junction" 10 salmon for opening day that's not a bad start! biggest 16lb proper salmon too, none of these fishy, iffy, whishy, washy skinny kelty salmon, proper spring salmon, you can see from the photos (biologists not needed) all on fly (fly only) not heard of catches from the rest of the river yet, but it has to be said! that's not bad for opening day, just shows that a well managed river, can pay dividends, lets all hope this is the start to a good season, hats off to the tweed commission/ foundation :D:D

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Cracking start 2 the season for the tweed here's hoping it continues :)

martymo

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to to view pictures of any opening day tweed fish? Or Dee fish for that matter.

Hope you toasted the good lady and graced her with your Golden Willie, Sir?

Loxie

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be ironic if we saw a proper return to spring runs just as we are banned from keeping any?

Tyke

Reaction score
Lower Floors (the beat immediately above Junction) had 4 & Upper Floors ( the next beat up) had 2 today. They are both 4 rod beats against Junction's 6 rods.

The report on the Tweedbeats website.

Regards, Tyke.

Loxie

Reaction score
There are also some totally private beats that report to neither fish tweed or tweedbeats. Even so and regardless of the fact that it was opening day, that's an impressive score. There were days in October when junction had less than half that.

Tyke

Reaction score
And 1 from Lower Makerstoun at 18lbs & 3 from Upper Floors.

Tyke.

marty31

Reaction score
it has been pointed out on a couple of posts that all the beats don't put their catches on "fishtweed" or indeed on the posh version "tweedbeats" I think most of us are aware of that! we ourselves don't subscribe or report on either, the point of the thread was, that the season seems to have started "encouragingly" well! and it has:cool: it looks like in and around 20 ( I am not trying to quote actual numbers) were landed yesterday, that's encouraging, junctions ghillie quotes, "we have had our best opening day since 1976" well that has to be good :D I think anybody that fished in 1976 quite rightly expected more then! today looks as if it hasent been too bad either, with another 6 from junction, and more reported from the middle river, with a 18 pounder from makerstoun, this I hope is not a "flash in the pan" and is a good sign, for the season to follow :cool:

onthedangle

Reaction score
Levels are good for all of the lower river beats yet there is very little or any that I have heard of being caught. It would appear to me that the seals that have frequented the lower river for a good part of January have pushed most of the fish up to junction and slightly beyond!

Loxie

Reaction score
it has been pointed out on a couple of posts that all the beats don't put their catches on "fishtweed" or indeed on the posh version "tweedbeats" I think most of us are aware of that! we ourselves don't subscribe or report on either, the point of the thread was, that the season seems to have started "encouragingly" well! and it has:cool: it looks like in and around 20 ( I am not trying to quote actual numbers) were landed yesterday, that's encouraging, junctions ghillie quotes, "we have had our best opening day since 1976" well that has to be good :D I think anybody that fished in 1976 quite rightly expected more then! today looks as if it hasent been too bad either, with another 6 from junction, and more reported from the middle river, with a 18 pounder from makerstoun, this I hope is not a "flash in the pan" and is a good sign, for the season to follow :cool:

It's very early days but at least it gives us all some hope after last year. It will be interesting to see what happens when spinning starts. I've seen a lot of false dawns and I'm not getting excited yet. Interested yes, but not excited!

marty31

Reaction score
wonder whats happened today? start of week two, 3 fish reported! upper makerstoun 1 lower floors 1 and south wark 1 junction zero, does that mean 1 the fish have moved? 2 its that expensive theres no tennents? or 3 the gillie has forgotten too post the catches? on fishpall ! the plot thickens :confused:;):D:)