tweed autumn fishing its going from bad to ????

marty31

Reaction score
water a good hight, Monday October 2nd prime time, 11 fish caught, that's for the whole river! fishpall and tweedbeats whats happened? this cannot go on, at least not at the price the fishing is now:eek:

castor

Reaction score
water a good hight, Monday October 2nd prime time, 11 fish caught, that's for the whole river! fishpall and tweedbeats whats happened? this cannot go on, at least not at the price the fishing is now:eek:

This matter is already well-covered in several threads! However its not just the Tweed...other rivers which are/were backend rivers are in a very bad way too.

[Hope that your bad luck was not down to over-confidence in the Gold Bodied Willie Gunn!!!! :)]

Last edited:

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Plenty in the upper river

This is the problem with fishpal, it often paints a poor picture, that does not necessarily reflect, the true picture.

The upper Tweed has had good numbers of fish for the past few weeks, but hardly a soul fishing. Today, perfect height, just a touch of colour, fish running, no one fishing! Therefore nothing reported on Fishpal.

I was frustrated at having to work today, as I know, I would have had at least a couple, if I had been out for the day. I rushed down to the river after work. Made it to the river bank at 6.35pm. Saw two fish showing as soon as I arrived, five minutes later, I tightened into a good solid fish. A bit of head shaking, then it took off, with one of those "don't even think about trying to stop me" runs. It played around in the fast water for a while but I could not get a look at it. Five minutes later, that sickening feeling we all dread. It's off! Fished the rest of the stream down before the light closed in. Then I left the river to the bats, who were frantically feeding up on insects, before their long winter hibernation.

I was at the water side for a total of forty minutes, I hooked and lost one large fish and saw five in total, all running fish. I can't speak for the rest of the river, but the upper Tweed is certainly well worth a cast at the moment. If there had been half a dozen rods who can fish, out today, I guarantee, there would have been at least four off our beat alone. Pishpal can't display catches, if the anglers are not fishing.

The water certainly might have been a bit high for the middle and lower beats today, but conditions were perfect for the upper river, just sadly, no one turned up!

Tight lines
Kenny

D

Don CurlyHorny

Moaning posts do not go down well on here apparently....

What you need to do is walk down the main street of your home town wearing nothing but a sandwich board and white terry towelling socks displaying the messages;

Save.Our.Smolts / F%Ck Off Russian Super Traaaaalers / Its Not Grim Up North / Foos Yer Coos / Human Footprint - Wear Yer Bloody Shoes / Throttle A Goosander *

* Delete as applicable

rs2ford

Reaction score
This is the problem with fishpal, it often paints a poor picture, that does not necessarily reflect, the true picture.

The upper Tweed has had good numbers of fish for the past few weeks, but hardly a soul fishing. Today, perfect height, just a touch of colour, fish running, no one fishing! Therefore nothing reported on Fishpal.

I was frustrated at having to work today, as I know, I would have had at least a couple, if I had been out for the day. I rushed down to the river after work. Made it to the river bank at 6.35pm. Saw two fish showing as soon as I arrived, five minutes later, I tightened into a good solid fish. A bit of head shaking, then it took off, with one of those "don't even think about trying to stop me" runs. It played around in the fast water for a while but I could not get a look at it. Five minutes later, that sickening feeling we all dread. It's off! Fished the rest of the stream down before the light closed in. Then I left the river to the bats, who were frantically feeding up on insects, before their long winter hibernation.

I was at the water side for a total of forty minutes, I hooked and lost one large fish and saw five in total, all running fish. I can't speak for the rest of the river, but the upper Tweed is certainly well worth a cast at the moment. If there had been half a dozen rods who can fish, out today, I guarantee, there would have been at least four off our beat alone. Pishpal can't display catches, if the anglers are not fishing.

The water certainly might have been a bit high for the middle and lower beats today, but conditions were perfect for the upper river, just sadly, no one turned up!

Tight lines
Kenny
If the prices were less expensive Kenny then they would sell the rods, have people fishing, and have better catch returns.
People are crearly starting to vote with their feet, but will the prices fall? I doubt it.
At £50 a day I would take a few days, but £80-£100 I would only have the odd day. Shame as it's a beautiful part of he country and a pleasure to fish.

Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score

Tight lines
Kenny

I feel your pain Kenny, I note that tomorrow you have 6 rods fishing so maybe we'll see some scores on the doors.:)
It is difficult to comprehend though, how so many fish appear to be populating the Upper beats this year on the back of such a bad season lower down. It is also difficult to have any expectation of a clean fish amongst them, you would expect any fish to be of spring and summer origin appearing on unusually high waters? In that respect Tweed is no different from any other river and not immune to the general feelings of disappointment to see another poor back end.
It is sad no one turned up, I agree, but understandable given recent autumn performance.
Pro rata to the middle and Lower beats, the tag of £78 seems a bargain, but may now be viewed as an extravagance, I know I am now seriously considering my position regarding back end fishing next year having given it one more year 3 seasons ago!!:)
I do hope things pick up for you as I do for every other river.
You need anglers to keep the wheels turning at the bank for even basic expenses such as levies. It is a vicious circle, but at least you don't have to deal with CAT 3 legislation again like us on the Earn.:(
Good luck for the rest of the season.:)

Last edited:

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Prices reduced this season

Hi Dairmid

A lot of the upper beats have reduced prices this season. We were only £35 last week, Traquair was £30 recently and still no one fishing! Now we are £60 which i don't think is too expensive, especially given the very good chance of a fish.

Tight lines
Kenny

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I feel your pain Kenny, I note that tomorrow you have 6 rods fishing so maybe we'll see some scores on the doors.:)
It is difficult to comprehend though, how so many fish appear to be populating the Upper beats this year on the back of such a bad season lower down. It is also difficult to have any expectation of a clean fish amongst them, you would expect any fish to be of spring and summer origin appearing on unusually high waters? In that respect Tweed is no different from any other river and not immune to the general feelings of disappointment to see another poor back end.
It is sad no one turned up, I agree, but understandable given recent autumn performance.
Pro rata to the middle and Lower beats, the tag of £72 seems a bargain, but may now be viewed as an extravagance, I know I am now seriously considering my position regarding back end fishing next year having given it one more year 3 seasons ago!!:)
I do hope things pick up for you as I do for every other river.
You need anglers to keep the wheels turning at the bank for even basic expenses such as levies. It is a vicious circle, but at least you don't have to deal with CAT 3 legislation again like us on the Earn.:(
Good luck for the rest of the season.:)

I think it just goes to show, that a lot of fish have perhaps been coming in late summer and just keeping their heads down, possibly due to higher temps. Who knows, but there are certainly plenty up here now, and have been for a while. I had my first on July 5th.
A friend who was down in Galashiels last week told me "he could not believe the amount of fish." He said there were fish of all sizes and colours running hard all day.

keirstream

Reaction score
Hi Dairmid

A lot of the upper beats have reduced prices this season. We were only £35 last week, Traquair was £30 recently and still no one fishing! Now we are £60 which i don't think is too expensive, especially given the very good chance of a fish.

Tight lines
Kenny

Kenny,
on Fishpal it's £65 + VAT, another £13 extracted from the proles.
Given age demographics in salmon fishing, a pensioner could buy a month's pot noodles by saving the VAT element to keep him alive until next spring when access can again be gained to (relatively) cheap fishing once more.:)
Seriously, though, the VAT in the equation is a bit of a turn off when sport is declining somewhat.

Correction, amended price making £13 + a booking fee?
Underestimated the noodle count then.:rolleyes:
Thanks Diarmid.

Last edited:

rs2ford

Reaction score
Hi Dairmid

Tight lines
Kenny

Hi Kenny,
I would say £60 is acceptable but Fishpal is charging £65 + vat + booking fee which is £80.
Traquair has had 2 fish in 5 years according to their catch returns for September which probably puts people off paying even £30. Given a bit of water, which we are getting this year, it's definitely worth a shot.
Cheers Diarmid.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Kenny,
on Fishpal it's £60 + VAT, another £12 extracted from the proles.
Given age demographics in salmon fishing, a pensioner could buy a month's pot noodles by saving the VAT element to keep him alive until next spring when access can again be gained to (relatively) cheap fishing once more.:)
Seriously, though, the VAT in the equation is a bit of a turn off when sport is declining somewhat.

Yes, the vat is a pain, that unfortunately the hotel has no option over. Perhaps if we all write a nice letter to "wee Nicola," she will do what she can to help get rid of vat in Scotland for us poor salmon fishers.??

keirstream

Reaction score
Yes, the vat is a pain, that unfortunately the hotel has no option over. Perhaps if we all write a nice letter to "wee Nicola," she will do what she can to help get rid of vat in Scotland for us poor salmon fishers.??

The way she's going, she's more intent of getting rid of salmon fishers.
That would be a good start in achieving her ultimate target of eliminating field sports all together.:(
VAT would be of very much secondary importance to her in the greater scheme of things.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Hi Kenny,
I would say £60 is acceptable but Fishpal is charging £65 + vat + booking fee which is £80.
Traquair has had 2 fish in 5 years according to their catch returns for September which probably puts people off paying even £30. Given a bit of water, which we are getting this year, it's definitely worth a shot.
Cheers Diarmid.

Hi Diarmid

Yes, there is vat on the prices unfortunately, as far as I know the price is £60 plus vat just now and rising up to £65 plus vat later. I have recommended, that they also reduce their prices further, for the last two weeks of the season.

If Traquair is only showing 2 fish for September as a five year average, it is just because, so many folk think it is not worth fishing before October and they have not had salmon rods on the water. I Know for a fact, that the trout fishers catch a fair number of salmon off Traquair water during August and September each year. A trout fisher showed me a picture last week, of salmon he caught off Cardrona in May this year.

Given water, the fish are now up here in good numbers in September, especially this season.

Cheers Kenny

Tyke

Reaction score
The river colour at Middle Pavilion this morning was 8; that's pretty mucky for a fly to work.

Once I saw that I wasn't expecting much to be caught from the middle & prime uppermost lower river beats.

If I was more local I would definitely be giving the Upper river a go after the sustained good water levels we have had recently - but it's a self fulfilling prophecy that nothing will be caught if no one is fishing.

Unfortunately without decent fishing effort it is very difficult to establish how the runs compare with previous years when there were more rods on the river. So I will continue to hope for the best as I'm up in 4 weeks time.

Tight lines, Tyke.

D

Dunbar

Hi Diarmid

Yes, there is vat on the prices unfortunately, as far as I know the price is £60 plus vat just now and rising up to £65 plus vat later. I have recommended, that they also reduce their prices further, for the last two weeks of the season.

If Traquair is only showing 2 fish for September as a five year average, it is just because, so many folk think it is not worth fishing before October and they have not had salmon rods on the water. I Know for a fact, that the trout fishers catch a fair number of salmon off Traquair water during August and September each year. A trout fisher showed me a picture last week, of salmon he caught off Cardrona in May this year.

Given water, the fish are now up here in good numbers in September, especially this season.

Cheers Kenny

Interesting, Kenny. I think many more fish slip up river much earlier than most anglers are accustomed to. The Upper Tweed did have a spring run which was fished for. I know an old hand who used to fish Cardrona back in the 50s and who had fish at that time. Tight lines, B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keirstream

Reaction score
Unfortunately without decent fishing effort it is very difficult to establish how the runs compare with previous years when there were more rods on the river.

Tight lines, Tyke.

Unfortunately Tyke, in common with most other back end fisheries elsewhere, the proprietors need to take a reality check.
Given the results of the past few seasons, folk are not exactly buzzing with euphoria at the thought of paying up to £200 for a day on the Upper Tweed which offers on the 5 Y.A. a chance of a fish to each rod every 4 days or so.
I understand they are between a rock and a hard place, having taken bookings at full price so kind of stuck in a difficult position. I looked at some of the better known beats for a birthday punt 1st week of November and all sold out to regular clients I expect.
However, giving them £200 would maybe make them think it was their birthday, not mines.:)
Run patterns are definitely changing, so therefore the prices need to reflect that if they are to fill the rods like yesteryear.

marty31

Reaction score
so its the water colour and little old pessimistic me again, and there is plenty fish! I think not, 11 for the day, no rods or not, its diabolical good beats should be scoring that per day in October, a few old fish that's been caught god knows how many times before? doesn't mean the back end runs back, where are the fresh backend fish that should (in this water) piling in on every tide, on the bottom river there are no seals or poachers, that explains all, promoting your own water is fine, but facts have too be faced, theres little or nothing coming in, not long ago I have seen 11 good fish come off our bit alone, next week was always known as the week the owners kept for themselves and their guests, poor poor river that's what the tweed has become:eek:

keirross

Reaction score
Tweed

It's certainly been great watching Tweed numbers going high. It's definitely an expensive river to fish albeit just a similar time bomb down the road to a lot of great water. I'd reckon that if Tweed props reduced pricing by about a fifth or quarter they'd witness much improved uptake. Many estates don't have to meet that financial need so I'd guess it's not too well marketed.

Tyke

Reaction score
Unfortunately Tyke, in common with most other back end fisheries elsewhere, the proprietors need to take a reality check.
Given the results of the past few seasons, folk are not exactly buzzing with euphoria at the thought of paying up to £200 for a day on the Upper Tweed which offers on the 5 Y.A. a chance of a fish to each rod every 4 days or so.
I understand they are between a rock and a hard place, having taken bookings at full price so kind of stuck in a difficult position. I looked at some of the better known beats for a birthday punt 1st week of November and all sold out to regular clients I expect.
However, giving them £200 would maybe make them think it was their birthday, not mines.:)
Run patterns are definitely changing, so therefore the prices need to reflect that if they are to fill the rods like yesteryear.

In fairness the owner of the beat I fish has reduced the prices this year, although if we don't catch this year any price may be too much in future when you factor in the costs of getting up there, accommodation etc. etc.

I hope we do better as I really enjoy this week away & have had some really good sport over the years at pretty sensible prices (a full week for what Sprouston would have cost by the Monday lunch time). It's also one of the prettiest stretches of the river, particularly when the leaves change colour in the Autumn & we get a sunny day which lights up the woodlands along the river.

But if we don't catch again we may be looking elsewhere - (after more than a quarter of a century fishing the Upper Tweed at this time); the problem is where? I know of some rivers still producing decent October catches, but don't want to just catch grilse & like fishing a decent sized river & wading down the pools casting a long line. The Tay runs have been awful this year, the larger Solway rivers have been even worse.

So do we just abandon the back end fishing & fish summer rivers more? Maybe, but the back end week always felt like you'd sneaked an extra week in & I for one would miss it.

It's all rather depressing really.

Regards, Tyke.??

castor

Reaction score
so its the water colour and little old pessimistic me again, and there is plenty fish! I think not, 11 for the day, no rods or not, its diabolical good beats should be scoring that per day in October, a few old fish that's been caught god knows how many times before? doesn't mean the back end runs back, where are the fresh backend fish that should (in this water) piling in on every tide, on the bottom river there are no seals or poachers, that explains all, promoting your own water is fine, but facts have too be faced, theres little or nothing coming in, not long ago I have seen 11 good fish come off our bit alone, next week was always known as the week the owners kept for themselves and their guests, poor poor river that's what the tweed has become:eek:

Tweed beats are NOT unique in this lack of a proper backend run
. Virtually every river in the British Isles has the same problem. No-one here on the Tweed is expecting miracles but all are praying hard. As I said in an earlier post there are a few other threads on this and I suggest that you start on post one on this thread:

No backend run again??

and read to the end. It will answer any questions you may have.

One reason why there were so few rods out today is that the wind was very strong and the water was quite dirty. I think that despite all of this that a lot of rods were booked and paid for, it just was too difficult for all but the hardiest younger guys...now IF there had been the incentive of decent numbers of clean fish...well, who knows.

Last edited:

Horsbrugh

Reaction score

Marty, I certainly would not claim, all is rosy on Tweed at the moment. There is certainly a shortage of fresh autumn running fish, as is the case, on nearly all other rivers. On balance to that, there has definitely been an increase in summer running fish.

These summer running fish, don't necessarily, fit in with the established 9am to 5pm times, operated by most beats. As you will know, during warm bright weather, the only time anyone is likely to catch anything is morning and evening.,

Given the numbers of fish that have been running the upper river recently, there would appear to have been a lot more fish entering the river than catches might suggest. That is not to say things are fine and it does certainly appear, that we are going through a transitional period. Whether we end up with a predominately spring or summer run instead of autumn, only time will tell.

As for as today's fishing goes. I would not have expected the middle and lower beats to have done especially well today, given that the water height was over 2'. As for promoting my water. I have no financial interest in the beat. I was just pointing out the fact, that conditions were perfect at 1'6" and there are plenty fish about, just no one fishing. If there had been lots of rods fishing the upper river today, I am sure the majority of catches would havec been off the upper river.

Here's hoping things improve for the better on Tweed and all other rivers soon. Fortunately things can change quite quickly when it comes to salmon. It was only few years ago we had record numbers here on Tweed.

All the best ?
Kenny

tenet

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the jungle drums haven't been beating and the locals to the river (say within a 11/2hour drive) filling up the vacancies. Different story for those of us living darn sarf with the associated logistical problems and costs.

Seatrooter

Reaction score
Moaning posts do not go down well on here apparently....

What you need to do is walk down the main street of your home town wearing nothing but a sandwich board and white terry towelling socks displaying the messages;

Save.Our.Smolts / F%Ck Off Russian Super Traaaaalers / Its Not Grim Up North / Foos Yer Coos / Human Footprint - Wear Yer Bloody Shoes / Throttle A Goosander *

* Delete as applicable

:D;):eek::D:p:p:p:p Hilarious.....

Ive just bought new socks as well hahaha...bring butties it will be a long day :D:D