Turn over with Skagity lines n tips.

Rennie

Reaction score
Just a thought in that what do you think I might reasonably expect to turn over on the end of a Skagit line tips wise and what do you think I could actually get away with?
Have a few thoughts in the old grey matter concerning some old Rio 30ft heads I have that were designed for the Rio lines in place of the 15ft tips and the compensator section.Just one long tip section of 30ft!.
Last two weeks had 20ft of T14 on my 550grn. inty Skagit which was ok, T11-again 20ft- was better to cast(just though), both went pretty well in overhead mode(forgot to mention that bit, primarily looking at overhead casting and trying to keep within the rods grain weight for overhead casts!).
Be looking to utilise 450,550 and 650grn skagit bodies then doctoring the tip lash up to get the depth required and still overhead!-er yeah, its a strong rod!.
I presume there will be a point that any skagit body will fail to cast and turn over tips when they get to a certain size/length ratio?,any collective forum experience at the brutal end of the scale?, lets just say I grew out of the std 15ft Rio tips a long while ago,lol.
I ask primarily as I don't allways have the chance to experiment and a starting point is allways welcome!.
Pedro.

mc andy

Reaction score
If you don't know the answer to this one? I don't know many that can help, only place or people would be on the banks of the river you've just returned from.

Good luck in your quest.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Pete I try to keep my head+tip length too within 2.75 x my rod length and ensure good, consistent turn over is achievable when my head weight is within 2.2x the tip weight,bearing in mind I use a dedicated skagit rod(flexes right into the but) and use only sustained anchor cast if using a faster(stiffer rod blank) my head weight too tip weight would be less than 2.2x,cant give you any advice on overhead weight/lengths buddy

phil.b

Reaction score
Try this Pedro Airflo Fist 660g with 15ft T14 and 2x10 super-fast tips casting with an LTS explosive 14.6,never tried to overhead but went for miles spey casting and turns over no problem .braw set up in the spring when you want to get down a dirty :wow:

Birkin

Reaction score
Did a lot of experimenting in Canada over the last two visits with both Switch rods, 8# and 10# and a Guideline LXi Tpac 13ft 9" 9/10 6 piece.
Using a SSVT on the 8# Switch and matching to various lengths of T14, 17 and 20 and managed to get 15ft of T17 and T14 with a tube fly to turn over. 12ft 6" was much easier but the experiment was to see if a switch rod would cast a heavy line of up to 400 grains to match the 22ft 410 grain head that I was using on a 9# 9ft single hander.
The LXi was matched to a 650 grain Skagit and cast 20ft of T20 with ease and gave the 400 grain sinking head required.
The reason for the tests was to make casting heavy tips with a double handed rod which proved much more comfortable after a full days fishing.

Last edited:

Big Ben

Reaction score
I personally would change back to roll casting as this is what the line is designed to do. Turn over heave tips. If you over head cast you might as well use another line other than Skaggit.