Turmeric for dogs,(and you)

tony considine

Reaction score
A few months back, just before lockdown, one of my dogs had a slight limp, perhaps a strain from a jump or overdoing something.
It was a friend who owns kennels who noticed it. She suggested I put Meg on a turmeric suppplement.(it comes under 'golden paste for dogs' if you Google it.)
She mentioned it was good for people too. Dead easy to make, so I've been using it since then. It's become a morning ritual, Meg, Isla, me. They get half a teaspoon, me a full one. The limp soon went, but it probably would have anyway.
I thought I might as well try it because it was there anyway, and for many years I've had pretty bad arthritis in the middle two fingers of my left hand. No doubt caused by a lifetime of cold wet fishing. The joints were swollen and I couldn't clench my fist. A doctor I fish with noticed it and commented how bad it looked a few seasons back. No big deal, you just live with it and get on with things.
Not overnight, but I started to think the pain was less. Now the swelling has completely gone, no pain, and I can fully clench my fist. I have done nothing else different other than take the turmeric.
Last week I was discussing this with a friend I play golf with. I put out both hands and asked him to pick the two arthritic fingers. He got the wrong fingers and even the wrong hand! (I could say it's worked wonders for my golf, but that might be stretching it!)
I would normally be fairly sceptical of herbal and natural medical remedies, so I have to admit this has surprised me. I will carry on taking it because it's just become routine with feeding the dogs. There are no side effects and the dog recipe is perfect for people too.
I thought I would share this because it might be of interest to one or two anglers with similar problems. I have since read up on the use of turmeric and there is a whole load of hype out there with glowing praise, but you might normally take it all with a pinch of salt, whereas mine is a genuine result.

salarchaser

Reaction score
A few months back, just before lockdown, one of my dogs had a slight limp, perhaps a strain from a jump or overdoing something.
It was a friend who owns kennels who noticed it. She suggested I put Meg on a turmeric suppplement.(it comes under 'golden paste for dogs' if you Google it.)
She mentioned it was good for people too. Dead easy to make, so I've been using it since then. It's become a morning ritual, Meg, Isla, me. They get half a teaspoon, me a full one. The limp soon went, but it probably would have anyway.
I thought I might as well try it because it was there anyway, and for many years I've had pretty bad arthritis in the middle two fingers of my left hand. No doubt caused by a lifetime of cold wet fishing. The joints were swollen and I couldn't clench my fist. A doctor I fish with noticed it and commented how bad it looked a few seasons back. No big deal, you just live with it and get on with things.
Not overnight, but I started to think the pain was less. Now the swelling has completely gone, no pain, and I can fully clench my fist. I have done nothing else different other than take the turmeric.
Last week I was discussing this with a friend I play golf with. I put out both hands and asked him to pick the two arthritic fingers. He got the wrong fingers and even the wrong hand! (I could say it's worked wonders for my golf, but that might be stretching it!)
I would normally be fairly sceptical of herbal and natural medical remedies, so I have to admit this has surprised me. I will carry on taking it because it's just become routine with feeding the dogs. There are no side effects and the dog recipe is perfect for people too.
I thought I would share this because it might be of interest to one or two anglers with similar problems. I have since read up on the use of turmeric and there is a whole load of hype out there with glowing praise, but you might normally take it all with a pinch of salt, whereas mine is a genuine result.
We use alternative treatments on a few of our animals, including the horses. Does seem to make a difference.

Beel

Reaction score
Had very similar results with the "Golden Paste", my now 9 year old Jack Russell was very stiff and sore and was hobbling about a fair bit, after a Vets consultation and X-rays, arthritis was confirmed and various treatments tried - Loxicom and Yumove.
No real improvement in movement, but after a little while we were advised to try Turmeric, after only a matter of days we noticed a big improvement, I would say it has definitely improved his quality of life, so gets a big vote of confidence from me.

uskgrub

Reaction score
This sounds like somthing i could do with trying as i have been having a few isues myself with athritis. Would you mind sharing how you make it and the recipe etc or a link to the one you use please

tony considine

Reaction score
It's called Golden Paste. You can Google it, but here's what I do....
2 x 45g small jars turmeric
Twice as much water by volume
Heat gently (don't boil) until a thick smooth paste develops
Add a heaped teaspoon black pepper + 90g coconut oil
Stir until smooth
Decant into jars
Dead easy and less than ten minutes. I now take a teaspoon a day, but you could double that quite safely if your problems are severe.

Last edited:

uskgrub

Reaction score
Add a heaped teaspoon black pepper + 45g coconut oil
Stir until smooth
Decant into jars
Dead easy and less than ten minutes. I now take a teaspoon a day, but you could double that quite safely if your problems are severe.
Many thanks, i will give it a try and let you know if it does the trick (y)

westie4566

Reaction score
Add a heaped teaspoon black pepper + 45g coconut oil
Stir until smooth
Decant into jars
Thanks for that Tony. How long does it last when decanted into jars?

tony considine

Reaction score
The quantities I've quoted makes a couple of small jars. One stays in the dog kennel, the other in the fridge. You would use them within two weeks and that seems fine. I wouldn't make any for longer storage, not much point really when it's so quick and easy to make.
Oops, sorry guys. I mis-read the tubs of coconut oil I have. They're 90g. I use a full tub. Should have put my glasses on.

Last edited:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’m going to give that a go too Tony. I’ve had arthritis in my neck and back since I was 21 and now my knuckles are starting to swell up and my broken left elbow doesn’t work so good now. Im only 46 my left knee now locks every time I kneel down think that’s wear and tear too. not the best for a joiner. Am up for giving anything a go these days. Wouldn’t even rule out a spiritual healer :LOL:
F77FACFF-6456-41DA-86DC-F58BDB4F59EA.jpeg
7DD03853-9950-4DC5-8139-F3C93F14FD7D.jpeg

tony considine

Reaction score
I’m going to give that a go too Tony. I’ve had arthritis in my neck and back since I was 21 and now my knuckles are starting to swell up and my broken left elbow doesn’t work so good now. Im only 46 my left knee now locks every time I kneel down think that’s wear and tear too. not the best for a joiner. Am up for giving anything a go these days. Wouldn’t even rule out a spiritual healer :LOL: View attachment 46646View attachment 46648
Wow. A lot going on there F.S. I really do hope you get a result. If I were you I would do a bit more reading up on the use of tiurmeric. You may well need a fairly strong dose for a while initially. I think you can expect some improvement. Good luck.