turbo discs question

midgydug

Reaction score
I like probably hundreds of other salmon anglers and flytiers was lured in to the turbo disc spell. I have tied some up, watched Mr Frodins new DVD and recently on a weeks fishing trip to the Dee even tried them out. I must admit they look great in the water but have yet to hook a fish on them to give me the all important confidence factor. All the reports of flies lately have been of Frances, Dee Sheep or Monkeys so my question is are there any fellow turbo casters out there who are actualy catching on these flies ?

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
Forum member Tynetraveller ties a very fine example of the Turbo Disc and, I believe, has had success on these patterns. Personally, I like the small and x small versions which are easier (for me) to cast.

midgydug

Reaction score
cheerz sloggi,
Do you have any problems getting discs to slide on tubing. I ended up having to punch out centre of s discs with nail to get them on tubing. Its the correct x-small F.I.T.S tubing and small and medium discs I use.

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
It's an issue with cones and discs in that sometimes they don't fit exactly. I usually widen the hole by taking an old pair of scissors and twisting them round inner rim.

midgydug

Reaction score
good idea sloggi it certainly doesn't sound so brutal as driving a nail through the disc . When I did that I wasn't getting two the same and also the gold was all peeling off ! A heavy handed expensive "blooter".

Rorylon

Reaction score
I like probably hundreds of other salmon anglers and flytiers was lured in to the turbo disc spell. I have tied some up, watched Mr Frodins new DVD and recently on a weeks fishing trip to the Dee even tried them out. I must admit they look great in the water but have yet to hook a fish on them to give me the all important confidence factor. All the reports of flies lately have been of Frances, Dee Sheep or Monkeys so my question is are there any fellow turbo casters out there who are actualy catching on these flies ?

I use than a fair bit and have had sucess on them. I find that they will take fish on days when other flies are not doing the job.

I only use the small and the extra small ones, as their a bit easyier to cast.

K MacC

Reaction score
I use a small 1.5mm twist bit, a battery drill and a pair of pliers to hold them. Drill out the hole then use a counter sink bit to remove any edges!

K MacC

TyneTraveller

Reaction score
I use the sloggi method. Frodin leaves about six inches of xs on the fly whilst tying, cuts it at a very shallow angle, pushes the cone onto the cut end and then grabs the end of the xs with pliers and pulls with these as he pushes the cone down. It gives a very tight fit and works fine if you don't mind wasting 50p of tubing every time.

Back to the original question, I have caught Russian springers on several large Turbo cone patterns, and I lost a nice Spey fish in May on a cats whisker xs turbo cone. I am off next week to the Spey and will give the small ones a good go.

Unfortunately they move a lot in the wind - Made taking this photo tricky!