Tuna

kimbo

Reaction score
We were 4 miles off start point fishing a wreck when we were surrounded by numerous pods of dolphins and shoals of tuna breaking the surface. A charter boat was circling us and we knew the skipper, he was fortunate to hook one of the tuna and release it after having got it next to the boat. Estimated weight 270 to 300 pounds.hrrr is the video awesome
Silver Halo Charters

loopknot

Reaction score
Nice Bluefin tuna. Reports of other bluefins similar size coming from inshore waters off South Devon when taking shark baits as well. Fortunately the fishery is opening up in UK and Irish waters and exploratory fishing off the Outer Hebrides has recently been getting trialed. There can be only one reason these great fish are showing back in UK waters after such a long absence and thats because of bigger schools of bait fish on the ground. Well done that angler with a fish of a lifetime.

budge

Reaction score
Used to be commonplace off the east coast before the herring shoals were fished out. Let's hope the new bait fish aren't salmonids ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

G

guest2938

Cracking video, great watch. Not sure I’d be cut out for the rigours of landing one of those in a wee boat on open waters, but great sport I’d imagine. Tuna and bonefish are 2 types of fishing that interest me, after the salmon.

Thanks for sharing

DCH

Ben-Macdui

Reaction score
Amazing to see a fish of that quality caught in UK waters :thumb::thumb:

The facebook page has some great clips.

BM

sneakypeter

Reaction score
That guy sure knows what he,s doing, quality angling, good video in the circumstances, no panic, just organised, nice to see the fish shown a lot of care in reviving them, allowing them to carry on their journey Thankyou for putting up the link.
peter

LouisCha

Reaction score
It's great to see tuna returning to UK waters with better management of stocks. As the seas get warmer they won't be the only summer visitors we get...

It's currently illegal to fish for them, but hopefully in the next few years a sustainable recreational fishery will be established

KChrome

Reaction score
Great footage and thanks for posting!
Out of curiosity how would you know on the first run if you have hooked a tuna as opposed to a shark.....without it breaking the surface :)

Rrrr

Reaction score
Great footage and thanks for posting!
Out of curiosity how would you know on the first run if you have hooked a tuna as opposed to a shark.....without it breaking the surface :)
I would guess that the smoke from the reel and the boat being towed due to the speed would give it away .
I would think a sharks tail would be a thid thud wheras a tunas goes like a sewing machine so maybe they can see it in the rod tip.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Sharks generally do not go on long runs, tuna do, big time, you might get a 20/30 yard run from a shark, but a tuna will do 10 times that without pausing, scary stuff.
peter

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Keirross is right, all Tuna are effectively warm blooded, but this ability is most highly developed in the Bluefin. Hence their ability to hunt effectively in cold water as well as warmer areas, amazing fish, and if the authorities do the right thing and ban all commercial exploitation, they are quite capable of rebounding to their former abundance, it will not happen, but we can always hope!!! The likelihood of a sports fishery being allowed are good though, just going to need some faster boats with chairs etc, bring it on.
peter

CharlesW

Reaction score
Last October they were in evidence close in shore round the Lizard. It was amazing to watch fish the size of small cars launching themselves out of the water less than 1/2 mile from the shore. :)

cgaines10

Reaction score
Amazing to see! imagine hooking one of them, wow.

David Attenbrough has done a good piece on the bluefin, definitely worth a watch! if i can find a link i'll come back and post it.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I think the chance of a big tuna would be enough to tempt me onto a small boat, as usualy unless its requires a tug boat and has a restaurant/bar im not intrested.
Awesome creatures.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ibm59

Reaction score
Dead one photographed by a work mate on Garry Beach , Tolsta , Lewis earlier this year.

497D06F9-B966-460E-BF8A-35ED57B65F41.jpeg
673F6A1B-89C4-4534-8B6D-D8BB2DB8D151.jpeg
FB43AC1A-82F7-4C4C-A0B8-9FC4BEE61B7D.jpeg

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Any known reasons for it dying. Caught and released perhaps?
We think it was chasing bait fish and took a wrong turn.
At this time of year, all sorts of fish was onto the shore. A guy that took a chunk of tuna last year had a live haddy of about 2lbs wash it at his feet as he fished for flatfish. Two years ago at this time of year a good sized Rays Bream washed ashore in the same place.

tony considine

Reaction score
A lot of tuna are being seen and quite a few caught, from fairly close in off Cornwall, mid channel between West Wales and Ireland, round Donegal and N.W. Scotland.
The ones caught legally, 'experimentally' ,will be tagged. The ones caught accidentally not.
The accidental captures are exactly that, as far as I know. Any bait set for sharks,especially a livebait, will be perfect for tuna if there are any in the area.
The 'problem', if it is one, is blue shark tackle is at the most 50lb, and porbeagle tackle 80lb. Neither are adequate for catching tuna. Some will be landed, but the fight will be in excess of two hours. This is a long time for such a hard fighting pelagic fish and it would expend a great deal of energy. You wonder about the survival rate of released fish.
t.c.