Tulcan beat

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Charlie,
I fully take your point, and I was certainly guilty of leading the thread off into the bankside vegetation. In addition I concur that a Skagit would be both unnecessary and inappropriate on Tulchan, and indeed many other beats on the Spey; and that in those places the full line and longer rod is generally more efficient and effective. It was the "fundamentalism" that stirred me.

Last edited:

williegunn2

Reaction score
Ive found the best tool for the bankside vegitation on my local river to be my switch rod.
On the Spey, especially Tulchan, the gillies favour a strimmer but each to their own I suppose.

Switch rods, another stupid Americanism, we used to fish a single handed rod with a used 12 bore cartridge shoved on the butt end to give a lower handle. I believe I stole the idea from Falkus.

williegunn2

Reaction score
Charlie,
I fully take your point, and I was certainly guilty of leading the thread off into the bankside vegetation. In addition I concur that a Skagit would be both necessary and inappropriate on Tulchan, and indeed many other beats on the Spey; and that in those places the full line and longer rod is generally more efficient and effective. It was the "fundamentalism" that stirred me.
I believe you have lost an "un" probably in some Bankside vegdetaion somewhere.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
On the Spey, especially Tulchan, the gillies favour a strimmer but each to their own I suppose.

Switch rods, another stupid Americanism, we used to fish a single handed rod with a used 12 bore cartridge shoved on the butt end to give a lower handle. I believe I stole the idea from Falkus.
Have you ever used a true switch rod?
I’ve got dozens of rods of all sizes and weights and my switch rod is definitely one of my most used and favourite of all rods.
Not a small 2 hander
And not a single hander either.
Somewhere in between with the best of both and a pleasure to use.

phil.b

Reaction score
I opted for two rods on tulcan c beat. On dates giving to me on may. Now been changed to (a ) beat. On may. Anyone know this beat. And how it fishes in may.
A is lovely beat and John Anderson is a great ghillie who will keep you right ,May time on any of the Tulchan beats is great ,June used to be the month but I would say May is better now.You will have a great chance of getting a salmon.Like most of guys on her say floater with some tips should cover everything and remember some sunrays.tight lines

Salmonman1234

Reaction score
I did spend some time on my local river practicing my casting. As well a couple of other rivers. So I can cast a fly. For what I see is. You don’t always need to cast to the opposite bank, half way, if even that is more than enough. I have been fly fishing for 40 years. But not for salmon. Just a wee tad different 😅 just didn’t want to go under prepared, always better as the say . Ask the locals 😂

Andrew B

Reaction score
Dream place. Pretty sure this is Sandy Leventons favourite place? He was the editor of T&S when it was a good read

charlieH

Reaction score
Dream place. Pretty sure this is Sandy Leventons favourite place? He was the editor of T&S when it was a good read

I think you'll find that it was Castle Grant - the next estate upstream from Tulchan. He once wrote a piece in T&S about Polchraine, which is the bottom pool on CG no. 2, and which he described as his favourite salmon pool anywhere.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I think you'll find that it was Castle Grant - the next estate upstream from Tulchan. He once wrote a piece in T&S about Polchraine, which is the bottom pool on CG no. 2, and which he described as his favourite salmon pool anywhere.
Ah ok that could be it. I know he loves the Spey

Andrew B

Reaction score
After Gordon and his lads special fishing on the Spey this last year as the nations rivers struggled I’d say it’s money well spent

Andrew B

Reaction score
Hard to find any reports from Tulchan and Carron
It’s the size of the sea trout that blows my mind every year

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score

There was an article from Aug 1994 I think ‘Days and Nights at Tulchan’ or a very similar title. Leventon, Gathercole, Salmon and ST. That was a decent season.

Pollowick

Reaction score

Yes, I was CG2 - and that is an excellent pool! I love fishing it too.

At te bottom of CG3, it is possible to fish the first 50m of Tulchan - have done it a few times. My borther-in-law ended up 200m down Tulchan on day - a fish took on CG3 and he followed it down aand got to te bank but had to continue down before finally landing an 18lb fresh cock.