Tulcan beat

Salmonman1234

Reaction score
Hello I’m booked to fish the Tulane (c) beat middle of may 2022, the price is £250 per rod per day, is thi a fair price, as I seen some posts saying, you can get it cheaper,

scoops

Reaction score
You must be happy if you have booked it?
Think that is cheap at £250, not fished it in May just a couple times the end March start of April beat A & B when its much cheaper, if my memory is correct I'm sure the price for May onwards was about £350 a day possibly plus VAT?
Beautiful area at a good time, tight lines when it comes.

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
May / June is the prime time for Spey springers so £250 for Tulchan is probably correct. A wonderful beat but a bit over my budget. Tight lines, you will love it.

Salmonman1234

Reaction score
You must be happy if you have booked it?
Think that is cheap at £250, not fished it in May just a couple times the end March start of April beat A & B when its much cheaper, if my memory is correct I'm sure the price for May onwards was about £350 a day possibly plus VAT?
Beautiful area at a good time, tight lines when it comes.
Thanks for feedback, I’m looking forward to to fishing that beat. I go fishing with my nephew, we fished the Tay, and the Dee and the Findhorn last year. So trying the Spey this year , along with the river awe in July. Findhorn in June , tight lines

scoops

Reaction score
Thanks for feedback, I’m looking forward to to fishing that beat. I go fishing with my nephew, we fished the Tay, and the Dee and the Findhorn last year. So trying the Spey this year , along with the river awe in July. Findhorn in June , tight lines
Hope yous hit it right, some cracking fishing lined up for yous

chriswjx

Reaction score
Well if I don’t catch a salmon this year , after the money and tackle I have invested in. Then there might be a sale . Lol.

Join the club pal, that was me this time last year. Delayed by travel restrictions, and buggered with the horrible low water from May till September. Only had 1 (maybe 2) nibbles, ended up with one after saying sod it and going out harling for my last day of the year, so didn't even catch on my own gear... I even had to invest double for "spares" so that missus would have gear to fish with as she ended up joining me most days.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Hello I’m booked to fish the Tulane (c) beat middle of may 2022, the price is £250 per rod per day, is thi a fair price, as I seen some posts saying, you can get it cheaper,
I'm on Tulchan C in late April at a cost of £120 per rod plus VAT. The price must increase substantially in May. £250 a day is steep but you only live once and were probably lucky to get a day in May so look forward to it and enjoy it when it comes.

lax0341

Reaction score
The fishing could be great in May on Tulchan if you hit the water right. But 250,- pound a day is quite a lot of money.
When I fished the beat last time at the beginning of August it was 165,- a day…

Salmonman1234

Reaction score
Join the club pal, that was me this time last year. Delayed by travel restrictions, and buggered with the horrible low water from May till September. Only had 1 (maybe 2) nibbles, ended up with one after saying sod it and going out harling for my last day of the year, so didn't even catch on my own gear... I even had to invest double for "spares" so that missus would have gear to fish with as she ended up joining me most days.
I know the feeling, I caught a nice on the Findhorn, but I didn’t catch it, as it got off after 30 seconds. So that’s as far as I have come to landing one. But I’m very confident it will be this year. New skagit line heavy sinking tips. Bigger flies will hopefully do the trick. Depends on the water on the day.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
Hi, Salmonman1234, welcome to the forum.
I know Tulchan pretty well and can assure you that C Beat has some perfect fly water, a hut that's nicer than my home and an excellent Beat Gillie in Lawrence De Rosa. Take his advice and I'm sure you'll do fine.
Unless the water is high I would suggest that you pack a 65 ft Floating Spey with some slow and fast sinking 5 and/or 10 ft polyleaders. Much of C Beat is good, flowing water and not that deep so unless it's up somewhat you may not want heavy sinking tips.

Hope you have a grand time there!

charlieH

Reaction score
Hi, Salmonman1234, welcome to the forum.
I know Tulchan pretty well and can assure you that C Beat has some perfect fly water, a hut that's nicer than my home and an excellent Beat Gillie in Lawrence De Rosa. Take his advice and I'm sure you'll do fine.
Unless the water is high I would suggest that you pack a 65 ft Floating Spey with some slow and fast sinking 5 and/or 10 ft polyleaders. Much of C Beat is good, flowing water and not that deep so unless it's up somewhat you may not want heavy sinking tips.

Hope you have a grand time there!
Thanks for posting that Lewis - you beat me to it! Although I don’t know Tulchan specifically, I’ve been fortunate to fish a few other Spey beats, and some of them in May. In general, anywhere less suited to skagit lines and heavy tips would be hard to imagine, unless you’re very unlucky with the conditions!

keirstream

Reaction score
Tulchan C is beautiful water, some of the best on the Spey.(y)
Please do not ruin your chances and flush your 250 bucks down the drain by thrashing about with skagits, fast sink tips and big flies.
They won't work.
Listen to the advice you have been given by CharlieH and Lewis Chessman.
Don't be fishing anything bigger than a No 6 or 8 double either.
That is, unless you want to pull a sunray through the pools which is a great method at that time of year too.
Just team it up with an inty or slow sink tip and give it some pulls, slow and long, fast and short.
And hold on.:eek::eek:

chriswjx

Reaction score
Chris were do you fish

I fish with Perth and District Association, so mostly days on Upper Redgorton for the spring and somewhere like Dalguise or now Dalmarnock for the rest of the year.

I've also committed to doing an annual 2 days fishing over an extended weekend holiday at Meikleour.

carma2

Reaction score
Times must have changed , you could never get day rods booked this far in advance , the usual tenants must
have dwindled away.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Times must have changed , you could never get day rods booked this far in advance , the usual tenants must
have dwindled away.
Not necessarily. I know FishPal contacted folk in November or late October about renewing season rods for the next year - with a deadline of mid-November before the dates would be freed. It could be that what with Covid, many places have tried to secure their season rods already just so that that is a bit of guaranteed cash in the pocket.

Salmonman1234

Reaction score
have dwindled away.
Hi guys thanks for the advice. And I will be taking it for sure. I was watching a video on iTube. Fishing the Spey with Ian Gordon. And he was fishing a skagit and sink tips . At the same time as I am going. So that’s why I was thinking I needed that set up. So you guys have saved me a few bob. I have all the gear I need in my bag. Thanks again

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
Hi, Salmonman1234. I wonder if the Ian Gordon video you watched was further downstream? If it was the Cadence vid then that was filmed on a lower stretch than Tulchan. Try YouTube for 'Tulchan C' specifically, I'm sure there's some film of the beat there.

The best advice I can give you is to be stealthy when wading and casting. I once stood with Lawrence watching an angler working down towards the hut from the Straan Burn, fishing a Skagit. He ripped every cast from the river on the sweep hard enough that we, stood 30 yards downstream, could hear it. The line then splashed heavily on landing.
"Look," said Lawrence, pointing to several fish holding in front of us, "Every cast, every step he takes, those fish drop back another yard or so."
He was right as I saw for myself. It was a very useful lesson for me and one I've not forgotten.

By the way, the Spey sea trout can be cracking fun and well worth trying for in the evenings!

Henke

Reaction score
I have fished Tulchan C several times (and two of the other beats).
Wanted to go in 2020 and 2021 but Covid19 stopped it (maybe that is why they have a lot of open days as 2022 also looks a bit challenging).

Lawrence will take care of you and give you the right advice. Listen to what he says.

For me - float with a tip (slow sink, intermediate or maybe sink 2) will work from April-July. With full float in the Summer months if not the water is on the high side...

I cannot see use of skagit set-up anywhere on Tulchan - except perhaps very early season with a lot of wind.

A bit pricy - but very nice....the value is up to every single angler to decide.

Great beat - I will be back when travel restrictions ease up again.

Tight lines.

williegunn2

Reaction score
Hi, Salmonman1234. I wonder if the Ian Gordon video you watched was further downstream? If it was the Cadence vid then that was filmed on a lower stretch than Tulchan. Try YouTube for 'Tulchan C' specifically, I'm sure there's some film of the beat there.

The best advice I can give you is to be stealthy when wading and casting. I once stood with Lawrence watching an angler working down towards the hut from the Straan Burn, fishing a Skagit. He ripped every cast from the river on the sweep hard enough that we, stood 30 yards downstream, could hear it. The line then splashed heavily on landing.
"Look," said Lawrence, pointing to several fish holding in front of us, "Every cast, every step he takes, those fish drop back another yard or so."
He was right as I saw for myself. It was a very useful lesson for me and one I've not forgotten.

By the way, the Spey sea trout can be cracking fun and well worth trying for in the evenings!
If I was in charge of the Spey, I would ban Skagits, and anyone seen snap "t" or "c "ing would be taken to Aberlour Square for a public flogging.

charlieH

Reaction score
If I was in charge of the Spey, I would ban Skagits, and anyone seen snap "t" or "c "ing would be taken to Aberlour Square for a public flogging.

I'm sure that a few years ago you were suggesting that anyone using such casts should not merely be flogged, but strung up. Are you going soft in your old age?

nickolas

Reaction score

This applies to all wild fish, people just don’t realize how fish can be spooked especially on heavily fished waters, I’ve always said on average Mondays fishing is always best due to the Sunday break.