Tubefly storage.

budge

Reaction score
Anyone found a foolproof storage system for tubes ? I've tried compartmented boxes and this year a plastic wallet thing. Neither is perfect at keeping them in good condition. Are any of the boxes sold specifically for tubes any good ? Or fiddly gimmicks?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

JoeE

Reaction score
same as yourself, have tired boxes and the wallets. The wallets are definitely better than the box but still not great.

Going to try just normal split boxes with the tubes inside straws this year, something like this:

View attachment 41124

Rennie

Reaction score
As almost a 100% tube user, I'd be interested in what you mean by storage box's.
Do you mean for storing your collection of tubes between trips or do you mean something to go in the jacket pockets or waistcoats to hold a selection whilst actually fishing?.
For storage between trips I use Myran compartmented plastic box's. Being clear you can see whats what, easily stored/stacked etc and each will hold a fair selection.
For whilst actually fishing I use 3 types(depending on tubes).A Wheatly Complite box, similar to the Myran but in green, different compartments ,a clear perspex lid, then foam slots for hooks in the box lid itself.Not too sure these are still actually available.
The C+F Tube box,smaller offering, carry's less but basically same as the Wheatley.
Some custom made box's, which are adapted from conventional fly box's and box's available from sewing shops for storing needles etc.Each box is adapted by fitting swivelling rods with wire mounts in them to seat each tube on.Absolutely fantastic, made by a very good friend of mine down in Wales.I think I've done a photo or two on here before, but will gladly post again if interested (perfectly do-able for a decent DIY er)
The Guideline Tube boxes are pretty good for the bigger stacked wing flee's like temple dogs etc, cheap too!
Thing with tubes is, never store them wet, never overfill box's and certainly don't tie loads n loads up as they eventually fade and you've wasted time and materials.3 basic clangers I've dropped and still do actually!, biggest one is don't leave them wet in the box!, dry out before storing or the end of each session!.
Pedro.

Rennie

Reaction score
Here we go, knew I'd some on here some where!

fullsizeoutput_1fe.jpgfullsizeoutput_200.jpg

Pedro.

P.S. eat this after looking at it carefully, don't want my killers falling into the wrong hands :doh:

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
I am after something to carry them when I'm out fishing. I am guilty of carrying far too many flees when I go fishing, so next season I'm going to cut down a bit. I've seen the homemade one with pins somewhere but can't find it ? I was thinking of something similar that gives a good view of the fly and doesn't risk depositing the lot mid river

Rennie

Reaction score
Yes Budge they are, they're my Ribble flees on tubes of 1/4" to 1/2", you can fit pins to suit the tubes you intend to use, making the system as flexible or as dedicated as you need.These box's are dedicated Wee Tube box's.
I take no credit for their construction or the original thought behind them, my pal does a better job than any I could lash together.
Any road, there probably isn't enough glue on the shelf at B+Q for me to do the job!
Pedro.

mc andy

Reaction score
I've posted this before, but incase you've missed it. This isn't for every tube but got feed up with feelers getting bent and trapped in the lid, works a treat and also helps from tranfering colours from fly to fly as can happen if like me you put them away wet sometimes! :wow:DSC_2363.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_2363.JPG
    DSC_2363.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 413

budge

Reaction score
Yes Budge they are, they're my Ribble flees on tubes of 1/4" to 1/2", you can fit pins to suit the tubes you intend to use, making the system as flexible or as dedicated as you need.These box's are dedicated Wee Tube box's.
I take no credit for their construction or the original thought behind them, my pal does a better job than any I could lash together.
Any road, there probably isn't enough glue on the shelf at B+Q for me to do the job!
Pedro.
Cheers Pedro, I might have a dabble at making something similar. I've got a couple of fly boxes I can ruin

budge

Reaction score
Should of added its large drinking straws cut to size then melted with a lighter at one end.

Cheers andy
Now that idea I do like ! All my whiskers are rattling round in a couple of business card boxes but often get damaged like that. Will give that a go.

hawtal

Reaction score
You can buy very very cheap on amazo plastic test tubes which come with blue caps which enclose the flies very safely the test tubes are totally clear so its easy to see which flies are which the tubes take two large flies and easily take four smaller ones Then you store the tubes up to ten at a time in A5 plastic zip lock wallets so you can be on the water with one helluva lot of flies I store my tube flies in cleaned out carry out meal plastic boxes and fill the test tubes according to what I think might be appropriate The plastic wallets fit inside my top wader pocket They are very light This is not my own idea On you tube there is a guy ( I think he might be Spanish ) who explains the whole thing its his system
I found all the stuff he told me I needed very easily on amazo and extremely cheaply Look him up Hope this helps cheers