Tube flys and putty

tcorfey

Reaction score
In a different thread on hitch fishing Nikolas said "You have gone into great detail regarding hitch methods. 3 years ago fishing with Reuben the ghilly , he suggested fishing a small 20mm plastic alister tube, after a few casts he suggest we change to a skating fly, I was about to take the Alister of, he no said leave it on and we can pop a small piece of loon biostrike on the front, worked a treat and caught fish. Clever guy that Reuben, you never stop learming."

I wonder if using Tungsten putty shoved in the tube would do just the opposite and allow you to fish the fly deeper in the water column?
Being able to control the weight added would be a nice benefit. Has anyone tried this?

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone has to say something so I will. I never thought of this and almost always have some sort of weight on my tubes here in AK.

:)

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Someone has to say something so I will. I never thought of this and almost always have some sort of weight on my tubes here in
In a different thread on hitch fishing Nikolas said "You have gone into great detail regarding hitch methods. 3 years ago fishing with Reuben the ghilly , he suggested fishing a small 20mm plastic alister tube, after a few casts he suggest we change to a skating fly, I was about to take the Alister of, he no said leave it on and we can pop a small piece of loon biostrike on the front, worked a treat and caught fish. Clever guy that Reuben, you never stop learming."

I wonder if using Tungsten putty shoved in the tube would do just the opposite and allow you to fish the fly deeper in the water column?
Being able to control the weight added would be a nice benefit. Has anyone tried this?

When I used to go out carp fishing I would always have tungsten putty to critically balance bouyant baits so that they would only just sink or to ensure leaders would sit tight to the lake bed. It was called pop-up putty because you were ‘popping up’ the bait.

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work for flies too if it was moulded around the hook eye and leader knot.

Despite my previous experience I’ve never thought of doing so! Probably worth trying although initially I’d check every few casts to make sure it didn’t come off. That would be my only concerns until I had confidence that once added it would stay added .

tcorfey

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen, I think I will have to give it a try, the idea of adding weight to a fly is nothing new of course but the ability to dynamically alter the weight of the fly sounds promising to me.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I do something similar with trout fishing. Ive got a little bag of tungsten beads in my fly box and slide them onto the line as needed to get the depth im after. Probably dosent do the knot much good but ive not had one fail because of it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

nickolas

Reaction score

Tcorfey, never tried it that way round but I see no reason why it shouldn’t ’, the only thing I would say after spending hours producing this master piece that will never fail, to go and stick a bit of gooo on the front end seems sacrilegious. I have seen peaple pop on tungsten cones in front of the fly they have on, in some cases with heavy water several cones. in one instance I put 2 three inch brass tubes together, impossible to cast, but it did catch a salmon fishing of a big bolder the size of a house in Russia .

Rennie

Reaction score
I think you'd have to be careful doing that, the additional weighting of flee's and in particular Tubes flee's is frowned upon in some circles.This harks back to days gone by and using the flee to hook fish in places other than the mouth!, so thats deliberate foul hooking of fish then!.
You'd need to be up on the rules and regs. of where you're fishing before trying I suspect!.
Pedro.

nickolas

Reaction score
I think you'd have to be careful doing that, the additional weighting of flee's and in particular Tubes flee's is frowned upon in some circles.This harks back to days gone by and using the flee to hook fish in places other than the mouth!, so thats deliberate foul hooking of fish then!.
You'd need to be up on the rules and regs. of where you're fishing before trying I suspect!.
Pedro.
Rennie, you’re quite right, on a small west coast river there’s a sea pool where the rods are only allowed to fish a floating line and a single hook. So yes depending on the water your fishing you do need to be a bit careful, if you find you are bumping along the bottom you’re probably to deep, one way to reduce the likelihood of sticking a hook in a fish would be to fish a single hook.

LouisCha

Reaction score
I keep a few loose coneheads in my tube fly box to thread onto the leader for extra weight, it can be very useful. I have some tungsten putty for tight line nymphing but I imagine it could quite easily fall off with an energetic spey cast, and it's probably not something that should be left in the river!

Last edited:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Tungsten putty ideally needs something to grip too, a simple stop knot tied to the leader would work, or a rubber float stop, neither would cause damage to the leader.

GeeBee

Reaction score
I wonder what colour was the biostrike putty ?

I can't be the only trout fisherman to have fish 'take' the indicator....