TTT flies and hook placement

Gpu

Reaction score
Morning all,
After saying I’ve never used any Frödin products other than the hooks someone sent me some TTTs to try.

So here it is :

My question is how does everyone setup the hooks?

Just line the tube and leave the hook free swinging ?
Or
Line the hook and fix a little junction tube to the back of the liner so the hook can be held at the back of the fly?
Or
Some totally different way?

Really keen to hear how these no body flies are fished as they have a real fish catching reputation in Scandi rivers

Best

G

pfeul

Reaction score
Just line the tube with some flexible tubing to protect the knot and leave the hook free swinging

Simple as that

Reactions: Gpu

Gpu

Reaction score
Just line the tube with some flexible tubing to protect the knot and leave the hook free swinging

Simple as that
Thanks pfeul- do you normally fish these small ones with a treble hook?

pfeul

Reaction score
it depends on the river rules.
I fish them with single, double or treble hooks depending on the size.
I've a limited experience but up to now, i found i've lost much less fish with a free swinging hook.

And these small nobody tubes (as small as 15 mm), either ttt or not, are very lively in a fast current but also in very calm water.
Much livelier than flies of the same size tied on hooks

Reactions: Gpu

rotenone

Reaction score
Although a little expensive pro sportfisher hook guides and propeller fly swing tubes are the best option to cover the knot on a free swinging hook imho.
I used to use just a small piece of plastic, but these are already conical in shape and last a long time.
You can join the TTT to a body but there is no point whatsoever, however if you search the forum you will find some shrimp flies where I use the TTT at the front with only the hackle tied on and they work well.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Eminem

Reaction score
As per video above or Propeller Tubes for me over the years and an inverted double. Avoid trebles as they encourage wing wrap.

sgellert

Reaction score
I'm actually feeling the longer hook guards being too clumsy, so using Pro Sportfisher 2.2mm rigid tube on the shank, just covering the knot.
The hooks below are size 8 Ken Sawada tube double, something around a size 4 single and last is fitted with the smallest propeller guard.
For tubes less than about 4-5 cm, it looks a lot better to me.
IMG_20200616_122728.jpg

Rainclouds

Reaction score
On smaller hook sizes, there is also a loss of gape with the propeller fly guides. I would use them though for larger set ups.

For smaller sizes, I like tight fitting silicone tubing similar to sgellert's above. If you don't want a an open tube at the front, you can also cut a tiny section of liner tube. Place on a tying needle and pull the silicone tubing over it. The silicone tubing takes a tight grip on the liner "bead" and I have found it stays in place well. Rigged that way, you are only adding 2 mm at most from the end of the hook knot. This sits very well into the recess of low water tubes and also sits in line against the burred liner tube of the tube itself on other set ups such as US tubes.