Trout Spawning on Tributaries of the Bandon River

reddie

Reaction score
Evening lads,

No money shots but thought ye may enjoy the following video I've put together from watching trout spawning over the last couple of weeks. Anybody else been doing likewise??

Reaction score
Really enjoyed that thanks so much for sharing. I normally make a few efforts to walk the burns but haven't been able to this year unfortunately. Great work well done. What size range were the trout in?

reddie

Reaction score
Really enjoyed that thanks so much for sharing. I normally make a few efforts to walk the burns but haven't been able to this year unfortunately. Great work well done. What size range were the trout in?
Hi Bradan,

Delighted you like the video! Always exciting to walk the streams, you just never know what you might see. The biggest trout in this video would be around 1.5-2lb.

Reaction score
Thanks Reddie. In that case my goodness great camera work. I thought they looked much bigger ha. We've had a week of heavy frosts here so rivers are rock bottom. Will try a wee walk tomorrow all being well.

reddie

Reaction score
Thanks Reddie. In that case my goodness great camera work. I thought they looked much bigger ha. We've had a week of heavy frosts here so rivers are rock bottom. Will try a wee walk tomorrow all being well.
Shot it with a Canon 550D, 70-300mm lens. A polarised filter really makes all the difference. Like yourself, a bit of rain wouldn't go astray now but I really hope we avoid any major washouts this winter. River deserves a settled autumn/winter spell for once!! Let us know how your walk goes!

Reaction score
Hi Reddie I got out for a walk but wasn't out for too long and only covered under a mile of river. The thaw is on with ice still in the margins. I was never going to see too much today but the river was exceptionally quiet. From an old friend he says that traditionally he would see most spawning around the first 10 days of December. Last few years I would hazard a guess that the most spawning activity has been slightly earlier and have seen plenty of redds in November. Me and my IPhone failed :eek: to get the planet earth footage that you did and wasn't expecting much.

Impressive camera work and equipment by yourself. Never a wasted walk and today was about 3c where I was which felt nice in the sun as last couple of days didn't get above 0. Two roe deer, pair of buzzards, fieldfares and unfortunately gooseanders (4working one pool), and the amazingly hardy dippers were the highlight. There is only one good holding pool on the stretch I walked and couldn't get in a position to see what it held today. So salmon wise it was a total blank and not even a redd where I have witnessed them in the past. I'll get another stroll soon when hopefully I'll be more mobile. A bit injured just now but on the mend and not fit to get to a stretch that would have more action. If you get any more footage it would be great to see it. Well done and thanks again, Paul.

image.jpg

Last edited:

reddie

Reaction score
Beautiful looking tributary of the Lomond and lovely photo! Fair play for getting out even though you're not well. Hopefully you'll be able to get out soon again and the spawning activity picks up.

Definitely agree that spawning is occurring earlier. First trout redds I saw this year were October 12th and salmon redds October 26th. They semed to start early, slowed up a bit as it got mild and now the last 2 weeks has seen plenty action with the colder temperatures.