Trout & Salmon and Trout Fisherman to amalgamate

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Should be targeting all types of Wild fish, fly fishing, Pike, Perch, Sea Fish.
Im sure if photos showed beautiful backdrops, then with a fly rod thrown in, it opens up so much more than Salmon ( Dying a death here, and not pulling in youth, NO Fish ). Theirs lots good fly fishing here, and places to go, where you will get a bend in the rod.
We desperately need more youth, and a magazine, that promotes fly fishing for fish that dont cost an arm and leg, and you got good chance to catch one, can help draw more youth.
My young lad started salmon fishing with me last season and loves it even though he’s yet to catch. A magazine to promote fishing would be completely lost on him. I’m don’t think he’s ever picked up a magazine let alone bought one as stated above it’s utube that he will watch for everything including fishing. He’s got lots of hobbies and sports he’s into. Buying a magazine on any of them would just never happen these days

woodcockandsewin

Reaction score
I haven't bothered with it for years really as generally disappointed with the salmon content.

I thoroughly enjoy Chasing Silver...the in depth articles are very educational, and often give an insight in to how to fish on different budgets.

Oscar

Reaction score
Given I only really read the salmon articles, I suspect I'll stop my subscription now. I will however wait and see what percentage interests me.

I guess it will still be called Trout and Salmon, although will just have more trout fishing articles?

Oscar.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I would have bought T&S, TF, Still water FF, Fly fishing & Fly tying, Irish Angler and does anyone remember Sea Trout, Trout & Salmon???

How many of these publications are still running today?

The internet has certainly hit the print media trade hard, In all forms. Not just angling. Its inevitable that a 1 size fits all will emerge from the above.

Will it work though? It might if there’s nothing else to buy I suppose.

Personally, I like reading fishing articles but I’m not fussed on blobs bungs or snakes either. I do like stock trout fishing but in certain fisheries, preferably wild/natural loughs or ponds with a less frequent stocking policy. If there were a series of articles on these such waters, I’d certainly read them.

That’s not me denigrating the smaller fisheries either, they certainly have a place in our sport which deserves coverage as well. After all how do the young old or beginners get into fishing, never mind fly fishing for Unicorns!

Barrarex

Reaction score
An earlier comment made me think about how long I have been buying T&S and ****** me it’s also 5 decades😳. I still enjoy and look forward to it every month. I kept the August 1988 edition which featured a new fly called “Ally’s Shrimp”. Tied some and caught my first and second salmon on the same day a month later🎣🎣. I don’t expect fantastic new revelations every month. Just part of my fishing fix.

davestocker

Reaction score
The magazine that would best reflect my interest in the sport would be called something like 'Active Angler'. I fly fish for trout (and occasionally for carp), have spun and bait fished for salmon, and happily chuck lures around in freshwater for pike and perch, and in the sea for whatever. The thing that unites my fishing is that I can't bear just sitting there, I have to move with every cast and increasingly I'm not bothered by what pulls my string as long as I'm out in the open air and getting some exercise.

But on topic, I bought the first Trout Fisherman, which I still have, and the next 20+ years of it. I awaited its arrival, I read, I learned, and had letters published along with a couple of articles. Like so many things, it had its day. RIP.

Elibank

Reaction score
Like most of the earlier posters, I guess that I’ll be waiting to see how things pan out - however, if there’s any more of trout rods sitting on their boxes at Grafham, that’s definitely not what I read T&S for, and that’ll be me done, I’m afraid.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I rekon the first article on how to fish a blob under the bung will cause chaos with the traditional trout and salmon readers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Garnock

Reaction score
Would like to see more down to earth articles sometimes maybe promoting club waters and other fishing methods and tactics rather than fly only