Trout & Salmon and Trout Fisherman to amalgamate

Ypres

Reaction score
This will start with the March issue. Sign of the times. Neither getting enough readers? Falling number of participants?

Len

ibm59

Reaction score
Zap Pow Zowie!!
Dead drifted blobs under an indicator for salmon anyone ?

End of over 5 decades of monthly purchases for me 🙁

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Hardly surprising really, the march copy of T&S arrived this morning and it's actually thinner than the fishing megastore catalogue that usually accompanies it (i've said this before partially in jest but this month it really is)

budge

Reaction score
I feared the worst after the huge spread on dogs in the last offering

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

silverstoat

Reaction score
This is the final straw, I am cancelling my subscription after 30+ years. If I had known this was happening I would not have renewed it in December.

salmo76

Reaction score
surely two mags for the price of one is even better, after all it was always TROUT and salmon

Elibank

Reaction score
I feared the worst after the huge spread on dogs in the last offering

Wonder if they’ll print my complaint about my walking past it three times in W.H.Smith because of that damned dog on the cover...

Last edited:

Meldon9

Reaction score
This is the final straw, I am cancelling my subscription after 30+ years. If I had known this was happening I would not have renewed it in December.
Why cancel? Surely more content for the same money is a good idea?

Salmon fishing and some river fly fishers are real snobs and wont move on in the real world.

I thibk it should include articles on fly fishing for sea and coarse fish now as UK salmon fishing is near enough finished and seatrout not far behind.

High time some of the old farts who think fly fishing should be elitist should wake up and wonder why no young folk want to take up the sport,

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
I think I will wait and see before cancelling my subscription or not

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Hardly surprising really, the march copy of T&S arrived this morning and it's actually thinner than the fishing megastore catalogue that usually accompanies it (i've said this before partially in jest but this month it really is)
Jesus just picked up mine from the mail you weren't kidding its thinner than the usual gac mag that comes with it, just cancelled my direct debit

PETEY

Reaction score
*** some people on here are hard to please. I`ll also reserve judgement until I see the content. If it is informative and helps me learn something, I`ll be happy. All for the yearly price that some wouldn`t think twice about spending on beer `n` fags at the weekend:rant:

Last edited:

airsprite

Reaction score
I think I will wait and see before cancelling my subscription or not
Same here, i have enjoyed Trout and Salmon for years, so will evaluate the new format before making a decision.

loss of the fishing reports,would be a deal breaker for me, even though I'm unlikely to visit many of the rivers, i really enjoy seeing whats going on.

Steve

budge

Reaction score
Same here, i have enjoyed Trout and Salmon for years, so will evaluate the new format before making a decision.

loss of the fishing reports,would be a deal breaker for me, even though I'm unlikely to visit many of the rivers, i really enjoy seeing whats going on.

Steve
That's pretty much the same for me. First thing I read is the river reports, a bit of extra fishing content wouldn't go amiss though.

mows

Reaction score
You can only reprint the same article from the 1980s so many times.
It's really sad that it's gone as it was my favourite magazine, but it's been effectively finished for a good many years.

Cheers

Mows

Cookie-boy

Reaction score

Salmon fishing and some river fly fishers are real snobs and wont move on in the real world.

I thibk it should include articles on fly fishing for sea and coarse fish now as UK salmon fishing is near enough finished and seatrout not far behind.

High time some of the old farts who think fly fishing should be elitist should wake up and wonder why no young folk want to take up the sport,
Then surely the magazine should simply be titled "Fishing"?

Rrrr

Reaction score
I rekon youtube and the internet in general has put a big dent in both magazines popularity, if you want to learn...youtube. you want to see about a new fishery....youtubes got you coverd. You want to hear about a new item of tackle and see an unbiased review... its online for free. You want to learn how to tie a new fly ?.... davie mcphails on youtube showing you how in full hd video.

I could go on but you get the idea. I used to look forward to the day that the trout and salmon would arrive through the letterbox every month but to be honest, the last few times ive bought it ive skimmed through and found nothing to warrant going back to and reading properly as its either out of touch from the fishing i do or its been done before.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

scotsmac1

Reaction score
Should be targeting all types of Wild fish, fly fishing, Pike, Perch, Sea Fish.
Im sure if photos showed beautiful backdrops, then with a fly rod thrown in, it opens up so much more than Salmon ( Dying a death here, and not pulling in youth, NO Fish ). Theirs lots good fly fishing here, and places to go, where you will get a bend in the rod.
We desperately need more youth, and a magazine, that promotes fly fishing for fish that dont cost an arm and leg, and you got good chance to catch one, can help draw more youth.

Last edited:

ibm59

Reaction score
Should be targeting all types of Wild fish, fly fishing, Pike, Perch, Sea Fish.

We desperately need more youth, and a magazine, that promotes fly fishing for fish that dont cost an arm and leg, and you got good chance to catch one, can help draw more youth.
FlyFishing and Fly Tying has been streets ahead of T&S in this department for many years.

charlieH

Reaction score
FlyFishing and Fly Tying has been streets ahead of T&S in this department for many years.
As its title suggests, FF&FT doesn't have any restriction on species, though it does restrict itself to fly fishing only. On the other hand, T&S's title implies a restriction on species, though none on methods.

In recent years, T&S has had quite a few articles on fishing for other species (and of course grayling have always slipped under the wire). But its subtitle still proclaims it to be "the voice of game fishing since 1955", so broadening its focus too much might risk losing its distinctiveness. On the other hand, there have been precious few articles about methods other than fly fishing in recent years. When did it last run a piece about fishing the upstream worm for wild trout, for example?

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
They’re cutting costs but keeping the same business model. Maybe they’ll eke out another 10 years.

It’s a bit sneaky of them to do it after the main subscription season has ended. This has clearly been planned for a while.

Reaction score

I think that is more of the angle (pardon the pun) that new magazine 'Today's Flyfisher' is trying to cover. I purchased Issue 6 at WH Smiths in Gatwick shortly after Christmas (I only mention the venue as I have not seen it before elsewhere). I have to say I was somewhat surprised that there is a market for another predominantly game focused fly fishing magazine (of what appears to be high production quality) but no reason to wish them other than well with their venture.

I bought my first copy of T&S and Trout Fisherman (both September editions) on the same day in late August 1980. I don't have them anymore but remember their content well. The Trout Fisherman is particularly memerable as its cover showed a sensational new fly called the Dog Nobbler, and inside was the original article on it's creation by the late Trevor Housby. The cover of T&S (between the red tram-lines) was a Trout Stream - in devon I beleive. Happy memories, and I hope people don't give up on them just yet.

Regards

NHP

Last edited: