Trout rod recommendation

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just looking for some recommendations. I am thinking of getting a new trout rod for the coming season; usual story, salmon slowdown and doing a little more trout fishing.

For years I have used a 10ft weight 6 hardy angel 2 as an all-rounder. I fish reservoirs both boat and bank, plus I've used that rod for trout and seatrout on reasonably large rivers, I've even used it in the sea for some fly fishing. Anyway it is quite stiff and in sometimes feel it detracts from catching the smaller trout. I would like a softer lighter rod. I am thinking something that is perhaps mid action either in a weight 4 or 5. I know I wont be firing a long line out with a weight 4 on a windy day but that is ok, on days like that I'll just use the weight 6.

I'm not sure about a budget yet but I would like to buy something of fairly good quality. It would be a bonus if the rods were British made too (any recommendations for B&W rods....
).

Best wishes all,

Jamie

ibm59

Reaction score
Winston b11t #4 in either 8’6’’ or 9’
Sage XP #5 9’

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Maybe to stiff still but the greys Streamflex GR80 range are good value for money and lovely to use. Make sure its the Streamflex version though as its softer than the normal one. I have the 9'6" #5 and is my go to for floating and intermediate line work on ponds, reservoirs and rivers .

Alternatively a glass fibre rod for a smooth slow action. Orvis Superfine Glass are worth a look and the fact you rarely see one second hand would suggest once bought they're kept.

squimp

Reaction score
If you are after British and top quality you should talk to Steve Parkes at Atomsix.

He will custom build you a rod to your spec and it will be fantastic. He has several different 4 and 5 weight blanks to choose from.

Prices are comparable to US imported factory built rods.

Neil W

Reaction score
Sage xp 9.5ft 6wt great rod.
9ft 5wt Hardy zenith if you want a fast rod but a bit lighter

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi folks, thanks very much for getting back to me. I'll check out your recommendations. The glass fibre rod sounds very interesting, I like the idea of that. To be honest I guess I would be using it on days where there isnt too much wind or much needed for a substantial cast. What does everyone think, is a weight 4 a better option than a weight 5, given I use a weight 6 as an all-rounder? Or, does it more depend on the type of rod they are?

IBM, I saw you commenting on an older rod recommendation post and you suggested a lighter rod might not be good for a "windswept upper clyde". Me and my dad are thinking of fishing the upper clyde this year, we never have before, what rod would you recommend?

On the topic of Hardy, I'm a little torn with them now. I have a few hardy Angels and I've got a zenith salmon rod, the problem is I haven't had the best experience with the company and I've had a fair few issues with some hardy reels I've got. The customer service just doesn't seem great and it has put me off. Admittedly it is hard to move away from them though!

Thank you all,

Jamie

ibm59

Reaction score
I certainly would have a #5 in the car if I was expecting big winds on the Clyde.
Apart from that , line choice helps a great deal in dealing with troublesome blasts.
‘On the b11t that I mentioned in my first reply I’d use a Rio LT on pleasant days , a Rio Gold when the wind starts to figure , and a Cadno silk dt4 with a “ Clyde " taper ( short and steep ) on one end when it starts blowing properly which is quite often up there.
Leader choice figures heavily in defeating troublesome winds too.
As does casting technique , but I’ll leave that one to those more qualified than I.

ps. It’s ibm.:nod:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Hi folks, thanks very much for getting back to me. I'll check out your recommendations. The glass fibre rod sounds very interesting, I like the idea of that. To be honest I guess I would be using it on days where there isnt too much wind or much needed for a substantial cast. What does everyone think, is a weight 4 a better option than a weight 5, given I use a weight 6 as an all-rounder? Or, does it more depend on the type of rod they are?

IBM, I saw you commenting on an older rod recommendation post and you suggested a lighter rod might not be good for a "windswept upper clyde". Me and my dad are thinking of fishing the upper clyde this year, we never have before, what rod would you recommend?

On the topic of Hardy, I'm a little torn with them now. I have a few hardy Angels and I've got a zenith salmon rod, the problem is I haven't had the best experience with the company and I've had a fair few issues with some hardy reels I've got. The customer service just doesn't seem great and it has put me off. Admittedly it is hard to move away from them though!

Thank you all,

Jamie
I'm the same with hardy rod's I wouldn't buy another one although I have three zeniths 13.6 8#, 10 5# and a 9 #4. All fantastic rod's in my opinion, wouldn't touch hardy reels, my next trout rod will most definitely be Winston

Chicharito

Reaction score
Bruce And walker or Chas Burns.
Chas Burns made me a lovely 9ft #4/5 rod to my specification on a Harrison Lohric blank. Only took a few weeks and not too expensive either.
Highly recommended!

ibm59

Reaction score
I had a wee shot of the said Winston in 9 last season, absolutely stunning wee rod 👍🏻
I have both lengths of b11t , Arnold , and a 9’ #4 b111x :redface:
And a Sage SLT in 8’6’’ #4. Another cracking rod.

Last edited:

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
G Loomis NRX 9ft 5# is the finest trout rod ever cast and fished by mere mortals. Pair it up with a Rio Selective Trout line at 5 weight (if you can find one) or Lee Wulff Triangle Taper Nymph if you wanna Spey cast with it.

Happy fishing :thumb:

ACW

Reaction score
The last year or so i have been very happy with my HT#4 ,that a Sexy loops hot torpedo, 9ft for a #4 line.
its been out on the Monnow ,Test.Anton ,itchen and several ressers ,puts out a fair distance and is very precise.
Not cheap ,but its a fun rod!
Spanish blanks assembled in the UK!

Last edited:

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Buying a rod is almost as great an expression of hope as getting married, some work, some don't for all sorts of reasons. As a Tackle Tart (in a coronavirus lock-down inspired recovery I think, hope) I'm more than happy to say that one of the very best rods I've bought of recent years is a 9' 6'' Scott Radian 5wt. I use it almost exclusively for throwing big dries on lakes - Wulffs in 10s and 8s, the odd 6 - and it is, teamed with a Triangle Taper 5 floater a marriage made in heaven. I've tried nearly every Sage and Loomis trout rod issued over the last 20 years, many others too, and this is superior, by a margin, to all of them. Had a throw with a Radian 10ft, 8wt for the hitch tubes ... a joy too. May force a TT breakout. Made many mistakes with tackle but buying this rod this was not one.
Best

Last edited:

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your recommendations. I appreciate you taking the time and it gives me some options to consider and avenues to explore.

Very good of you all,

Jamie

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Buying a rod is almost as great an expression of hope as getting married, some work, some don't for all sorts of reasons. As a Tackle Tart (in a coronavirus lock-down inspired recovery I think, hope) I'm more than happy to say that one of the very best rods I've bought of recent years is a 9' 6'' Scott Radian 5wt. I use it almost exclusively for throwing big dries on lakes - Wulffs in 10s and 8s, the odd 6 - and it is, teamed with a Triangle Taper 5 floater a marriage made in heaven. I've tried nearly every Sage and Loomis trout rod issued over the last 20 years, many others too, and this is superior, by a margin, to all of them. Had a throw with a Radian 10ft, 8wt for the hitch tubes ... a joy too. May force a TT breakout. Made many mistakes with tackle but buying this rod this was not one.
Best
A shop owner I knew held that the Scott Radian was the best range of single handed rods he had experienced. He could get more distance with his Method and Zeniths, but the Radian was a better fishing rod, with feeling all the way down. I tried one and can see what he meant..

Hoddom

Reaction score
Edward Barder 8 4# the best rod ever made 😀
Sage SLT 8”6 4 or 5# superb

Finglas

Reaction score
What kind of reels do you use now Lamson? I've resigned myself to now only buying the odd older hardy reel, like the Marquis with the 4 rivets . I have looked at the JW young reels now too but don't have one yet....

edit: apologies I thought I posted this with a quote but it would appear I didn't.....

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
What kind of reels do you use now Lamson? I've resigned myself to now only buying the odd older hardy reel, like the Marquis with the 4 rivets . I have looked at the JW young reels now too but don't have one yet....

edit: apologies I thought I posted this with a quote but it would appear I didn't.....
Hi Jamie, the only reels that I use are Lamson reels

Arnold

Last edited: