Trout rod advice

Rockpool

Reaction score
I’m very fond of my Sage SP 10’ #7 which preceded the SLT. Bought it secondhand about 15 years ago and still use it as my sea trout rod with a Rio single handed Spey line.

kimbo

Reaction score
Thank you all for contributions, I think I've narrowed it down to a vision onki, and an older sage.
I'm going to try one of Mick bells xgnp graphene rods next week and then all I've got to do is find whatever I choose.
My go to rod at the moment which I've had since they came out is a carbotec 10ft 6wt 3 piece

Loxie

Reaction score
Thank you all for contributions, I think I've narrowed it down to a vision onki, and an older sage.
I'm going to try one of Mick bells xgnp graphene rods next week and then all I've got to do is find whatever I choose.
My go to rod at the moment which I've had since they came out is a carbotec 10ft 6wt 3 piece
A fabulous rod! I have 3 of them. I've caught a wide array of fish on them from salmon to mackerel and they do the job perfectly for smaller flies. Of course for bigger flies a 7wt is best!

One more I'd add to the mix is the GLoomis GLX distance 10' 7wt. An absolutely awesome rod with a good through action but accurate and powerful too.

possibly a mark 1 Enigma EMG 10' 7wt too. Sam make of blank as the Carbotec but slightly more tippy in action.

I have them all: SLT, EMG and GLX if you are passing and want to try them.

kimbo

Reaction score
A fabulous rod! I have 3 of them. I've caught a wide array of fish on them from salmon to mackerel and they do the job perfectly for smaller flies. Of course for bigger flies a 7wt is best!

One more I'd add to the mix is the GLoomis GLX distance 10' 7wt. An absolutely awesome rod with a good through action but accurate and powerful too.

possibly a mark 1 Enigma EMG 10' 7wt too. Sam make of blank as the Carbotec but slightly more tippy in action.

I have them all: SLT, EMG and GLX if you are passing and want to try them.
Thanks Loxie Colin and I are up your way next week may give you a shout
Kim

Rrrr

Reaction score
My go to easy casting rod at the moment is a maxcatch amigo that i bought just to see what they were like. I actualy prefer it to my 10ft 7wt hardy

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
Thanks Loxie Colin and I are up your way next week may give you a shout
Kim
Please do! I never use any of these rods, I just have them in my collection because I believe they represent the best of their class. You can keep some for a few weeks and give them a proper try out.

q4fario

Reaction score
I have a sage z axis 10ft 7 wt single handed rod, I got it for seatrout and grilse mainly but I also use it on reservoirs. I now find that with more advancing years I need a less powerful rod for reservoirs,I've tried my friends sage xp 10ft 7wt and that seems more suited.
Had anyone got any suggestions of a rod that might suit
I moved over to 9'6" 6# rods a while ago, in particular, Sage Method and Sage Igniter. Really powerful rods, very very light, with no real loss of distance. They are a bit more expensive but do come up on ebay from time to time.

Tangled

Reaction score
Looking for a rid that casts without much effort, more mid or slightly through action. All the modern rods seem to be fast action a bit stiff for fast tip recovery,
Might be worth looking at the new batch of fibreglass rods, they tend to have the more traditional action.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I’ve got the 10’ 7wt Xperia . Use it for low water, spate rivers, night time seatrout and rainbows from boat . Love it - 17 years old and no intention of changing it . I was out on the Lake recently though and had a shot of the Hardy Zephrus set up with the same line. It had a similar action but was lighter and cast further with less effort which was annoying. Warranty is crap compared to sage though

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Looking for a rid that casts without much effort, more mid or slightly through action. All the modern rods seem to be fast action a bit stiff for fast tip recovery,
One of the older Bruce and Walker 10'6 rods might suit your needs, i had one but got rid of it, had to wait way too long for the line to straighten on the back cast before making the forward cast, other than that it was a good rod.

Ypres

Reaction score
Tried a guys 10’ #7 weight Guideline LPxe rod at my local Stillwater. Wow line went out for miles. Lovely. Want one but they are not cheap.
Len

tenet

Reaction score
One of the older Bruce and Walker 10'6 rods might suit your needs, i had one but got rid of it, had to wait way too long for the line to straighten on the back cast before making the forward cast, other than that it was a good rod.
You would need arms like Popeye to use that all day. I wince at the mere thought.😃