Trout rod advice

kimbo

Reaction score
I have a sage z axis 10ft 7 wt single handed rod, I got it for seatrout and grilse mainly but I also use it on reservoirs. I now find that with more advancing years I need a less powerful rod for reservoirs,I've tried my friends sage xp 10ft 7wt and that seems more suited.
Had anyone got any suggestions of a rod that might suit

Night Hawk

Reaction score
I have a sage z axis 10ft 7 wt single handed rod, I got it for seatrout and grilse mainly but I also use it on reservoirs. I now find that with more advancing years I need a less powerful rod for reservoirs,I've tried my friends sage xp 10ft 7wt and that seems more suited.
For the money I'm really impressed with the Guideline Elevation 9'9" 6 weight I bought last year from JN. Great for floating and intermediate lines and at £235 it doesn't break the bank. It's a through (ish) action rod and IMO a very nice casting and fishing rod and you wouldn't believe how light it is and feels. I have considering the 9' 9" in the 7 weight as well for next season. I recommend a test cast if you have any stockists near you.
Good luck
NH

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score

I recently inherited a 10’ #6 Hardy Swift MkII.

While I wouldn’t say that particular rod is what you need, think there is a great deal to be said about the length & weight.

I’m fishing a Barrio SLX in #7 with the Swift and it has been a revelation compared to the old B&W 7/8 and Greys ‘GRXi’ #7 that it has replaced.

The action of the Swift is nice & progressive and there is a noticeable lightness of touch that isn’t there on my 7 weights. I’ve had a lot of fun with some Stillwater reel-strippers on the rare occasions I’ve managed Rutland or Grafham this year.

I also have a St Croix 9ft 5 weight that works well too and still has the beef for a decent rainbow.

181C4FDF-231E-4C7B-B890-AA1BF85C06B1.jpeg

tenet

Reaction score
Have a look at the Scott Flex range. I use a #5 which is superb. This Chew Valley specimen took a small lure.
IMG-20211008-WA0000~2.jpg

Last edited:

Tangled

Reaction score
If your goal is to make changes because of 'advancing years' it would be a good idea to downsize too. If you're not using big lures a 9' #5 is a revelation. With lures you could move to a #6 and still be good.

Then it just depends what you want to spend, personally I'm a big fan of the Greys range, the new GR60s are very good value.

kimbo

Reaction score
I think the sage would be good in a six weight, good to have other people's opinions, the rainbows at Wimbleball are amazingly strong so the rod has to have some backbone.
My six weight carbotec is a shade light but nearly there.. Still looking

kimbo

Reaction score
If your goal is to make changes because of 'advancing years' it would be a good idea to downsize too. If you're not using big lures a 9' #5 is a revelation. With lures you could move to a #6 and still be good.

Then it just depends what you want to spend, personally I'm a big fan of the Greys range, the new GR60s are very good value.
I only use a team of three wet flies or buzzers and I need the length due to using very long leaders, I may consider a 9.6in.
I have a 10ft 5 weight but I find it hadn't got the back bone for some of the rainbows, they will strip 50yds of line off your reel.

tenet

Reaction score
Concur with Tangled re length. 9ft certainly takes the strain off the wrist and makes a day afloat easier. My Scott Flex is 9ft6in and matched to a #5 Barrio SLX flies out with minimal effort. I fish both Chew and Farmoor and their grown on rainbows are very very strong. I use a 5ft furled leader with c 12 ft tippet giving 17ft overall and 3 flies as a norm.

Tangled

Reaction score
I only use a team of three wet flies or buzzers and I need the length due to using very long leaders, I may consider a 9.6in.
I have a 10ft 5 weight but I find it hadn't got the back bone for some of the rainbows, they will strip 50yds of line off your reel.
I also use a team of three buzzers on a long leader with my 9' #5. 10' adds a lot to swing weight and the extra length actually works against you with a fish (the fish has the advantage of the longer lever). You can pull a dinghy in with a 9' #5 :)

kimbo

Reaction score
I've taken all your replies on board thank you for all advice, I've got a 9ft 5 wt in fact I've got most combinations but I'm short of a 9.6in which is definitely a consideration, but I really want a 10ft. The 10ft xp that I tried was spot on so anything similar to this would be the one.
I will have to wait for a tackle show I guess to try before I buy.

Hoddom

Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of Sage trout rods. I’ve got way way too many - 90% of my fishing is for trout (it’s 20 yards away).
but
for a 9 #5 the Scott flex is really quite utterly magnificent

rs2ford

Reaction score
Some of the Redington rods are great and can be picked up for less than £150.
10ft 7wt CPS or RS3 are both excellent with really nice flexing blanks.
I have a Sage One 10ft 7wt and it will cast a mile, however it is very stiff in comparison to the others I mentioned.

Cheers Diarmid.

MikeCC

Reaction score
If you like the 10ft #7 XP then they do appear on ebay on a reasonably frequent basis. £250 - £350 is about the going rate. If its a really mint example then expect to pay a lot more. I’ve seen some really nice examples in lightly used condition go for nearer £500.

The 10ft # 7 XP blank itself is rather special, something which Sage have never quite produced since. Many still consider it the wholly grail. Everything since has become stiffer and faster unfortunately. The new X is a step back towards towards a more mid to tip action but the 10ft #7 X is unfortunately a complete noodle, to the point its just a liability at longer range. Its a nice ‘fishing’ rod but dont expect to cast a heavy line any meaningful distance with it. I bought one and pretty much immediately changed it for a 10ft #7 Igniter instead. Dont be put off either by the Sage advertising with the Igniter - ‘ultra fast’ action etc is just a typical Sage testosterone fuelled marketing ploy designed to appeal to macho blokes who dont want to be seen buying a ‘slow’ road. In saying that however, id fish a 10ft 7 XP any day before the Igniter, or any other 10ft #7 rod for that matter.

As a slight curve ball, id give consideration to Atom Six rods by Steve Parkes. He has all sorts of blank actions to choose from and will build you a personal spec rod for a reasonable price. His quality of workmanship is second to none, and only uses the best of top quality components and cork. He built me a 10ft #6 a few years back with a very similar action to an XP.

Personal choice of course but id avoid the advice of 9ft #5’s for reservoir work. A big, deep, windy reservoir with anything less than 9’6 #6 or #7 would be completely under gunning yourself.

Last edited:

kimbo

Reaction score
I might have actually found a stopgap.
Rummaging through my many rods I've found a 10ft 6wt daiwa, lochmoor z which I can't remember last using.
also a kunnan 9ft6in. 7wt.
Will give them a go next week.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Get a 10ft 5wt, a decent line - Lee Wulff Triangle Taper - and a reel that's a bit more than a line holder. Plenty of double figure salmon landed on 5wts so reservoir stockies won't be a bother. If you get a chance try a Scott Centric but if you come across a used Radian 9' 6" or 10 just buy it!!!

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
I have had a few non sage rods and a couple of sage rods and out of everything I have tried in a 10ft for a 7 weight was the vision onki absolute stunning rod which cast a beautiful line.
The new still maniac rods from vision are also getting great reviews but the 10ft for a 7 is a brute.
I would go for the 9ft9 for a 6 great all-rounder.
I hope this helps.

RUSH

Reaction score
I might have actually found a stopgap.
Rummaging through my many rods I've found a 10ft 6wt daiwa, lochmoor z which I can't remember last using.
also a kunnan 9ft6in. 7wt.
Will give them a go next week.
I still use a 10ft 8# lochmor z great rod

Loxie

Reaction score
10' 7wt Carbotec!!

personally I prefer the SLT to the XP.

Hoddom

Reaction score
10' 7wt Carbotec!!

personally I prefer the SLT to the XP.
Me too. the SLT is a little smoother. My 8’6” 5# is my second favourite trout rod of all time. Sage lost the plot going for faster and faster stiffer and stiffer rods. awful broom handles unless you want to fish two miles down and 120 ft out.

for light line work the original TXL is superb (Not for reservoirs or lines over a 3 though!)