Trondheim Area 2020

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
Last week there were lots of correspondence on Facebook pages,referring to No foreign anglers will be permitted to fish on Gaula,only Norwegians.
Some fisheries carrying over bookings to 2021,some offering Norwegian fishers 50% discounts if booking in advance.
Has the Norwegian government confirmed that only Norwegian nationals will be permitted to fish 2020 season?
DB

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Last week there were lots of correspondence on Facebook pages,referring to No foreign anglers will be permitted to fish on Gaula,only Norwegians.
Some fisheries carrying over bookings to 2021,some offering Norwegian fishers 50% discounts if booking in advance.
Has the Norwegian government confirmed that only Norwegian nationals will be permitted to fish 2020 season?
DB
Hello DB
No foreign fishermen will be allowed to fish in Norway until August 15th, as I just got confirmed from the Local fishing authority. Sorry for you and many others!:( :(
G.

daveing

Reaction score
Hello DB
No foreign fishermen will be allowed to fish in Norway until August 15th, as I just got confirmed from the Local fishing authority. Sorry for you and many others!:( :(
G.
Gauldalen as I understand a meeting will be held on 15th of May to look at when and who could be allowed in to the country

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jock

Reaction score
Gauldalen as I understand a meeting will be held on 15th of May to look at when and who could be allowed in to the country

Expect to be told that Norway is out of bounds until mid August to visitors unless they quarantine on arrival. If you have fishing with associated accommodation then you should be offered the option of a refund or rollover to next year. We have opted to rollover to 2021 but did have the option of a full refund. We fish the opening week on Orkla but I know of other anglers from outside Norway who were fishing later in June and July on both Gaula and Orkla and have been told they wont be able to come and fish.

Will be looking at opening week catch returns thinking that could have been me:nod: Looking forward to 2021 if there are any airlines left to get me there:wow:

Gauldalen

Reaction score

The information I provided some days ago came from the Norwegian fisheries authorities. In a press conference yesterday, the State minister expressed a view very similar to the Danish authorities position, which is that the borders will remain closed to foreigners for the short term (summer?). If you are a Norwegian or a foreigner with a permanent stay permit, you will be able to enter the country, with a 10 days compulsory Quarantine. No other alternative was mentioned! So the meeting that you are talking about might put a date on the matter, but I strongly doubt that access will be given before the middle of August at best, under the present conditions!
G.

daveing

Reaction score
My point was that the Norwegian government hasn't said anything yet. Nothing has changed since the borders were closed except the quarantine rule being shortened from 14 to 10 days. Until the government do come with anything we have to assume the borders are still closed and cannot put dates on it - that goes for people coming in and going out

wetwader

Reaction score
At today’s press conference this afternoon, the Norwegian Government confirmed that the borders are closed for people coming in until August 20th.
Uff- now it’s decided.
I nearly can’t say thank you Gauldalen. But of course I do for your information. I was checking all Internet informations available up and down today, the day of decision.
But it’s hard, very hard. First time after 36 years, my wife and me can’t spend the summer and all our holidays in my beloved Norge...
It’s so much more for us than the salmon fishing.
We must accept and hope it’s a help to bring the situation under control.

Stay safe and healthy !

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Fyi, there will be a new assessment of the situation on June 15th and depending on how the situation evolves, further openings might be considered but they are not guaranted at this point in time! Let’s cross fingers! :p
thanks for your wishes and the same to you and your family!

Gauldalen

Reaction score
The Justice Department of the Norwegian government put today a temporay law forward to the parliament, which extends the closure of the borders until January 01st 2021. There is a list of exceptions for specific travellers, but normal tourists and fishermen are not on that list.

bankwheel

Reaction score
I've just heard that tourists from other Scandinavian countries are allowed to travel to Norway from June 1st? Is this true?

Gauldalen

Reaction score
No, BW it is not true, as far as I know! The border is closed! Provided that the temporary law is approved (deadline is May 20th), Scandinavians who work in Norway will have to take a compulsory test and required to selfmonitor themselves, instead of the present 10 days quarantine. This would be enforced from June01st, if the law is approved. The case for leisure travelers has not been examined yet as far as I know!

Last edited:

SJF

Reaction score
Crickey, they aren't playing around are they. Not to worry I'll be there next year - I hope.

LouisCha

Reaction score
This is from the 'Visit Norway' website run by the government:
  • "The government has closed the borders to foreign nationals who lack a residence or work permit in Norway and as a general rule, this will apply until August 20th. Foreigners will be turned away at the border under provisions of a Norwegian law relating to the control of communicable diseases.
  • By 15 June, the Norwegian government will decide whether or not to open up the borders for travellers from the Nordic countries. Before 20 July, the government will decide if travellers from other nearby countries can visit Norway at all this summer."
Of course this may be extended for the rest of this year, as Gauldalen suggested

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Louis, Not sure that the website you refer to is updated! I did not suggest anything, just based the info I gave on the information provided by the Justice Department this morning, ;) The whole situation has a very negative impact on quite a number of good foreign friends of mine and I just tried to keep people informed! I feel that it might be better that I keep out of it from now onwards!:)

Last edited:

LouisCha

Reaction score
Louis, Not sure that the website you refer to is updated! I did not suggest anything, just based the info I gave on the information provided by the Justice Department this morning, ;) The whole situation has a very negative impact on quite a number of good foreign friends of mine and I just tried to keep people informed! I feel that it might be better that I keep out of it from now onwards!:)
Gauldalen, sorry that I was unclear perhaps 'suggested' was the wrong word! I did not mean to imply that you might want the border to stay closed to foreign fishermen! I quoted the tourist website to try to give the current information, if the temporary law you mentioned does not happen.

Thank you for keeping us informed, I hope I can visit Norway and Norwegian friends this summer too :)

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
the rivers have opened, but too much water in general. The fish also started showing up in the fjord about a week ago. Less water and more fish past the estuaries and things should be looking good.

Jock

Reaction score
Yes, I should have been over this week but where I would have been fishing the Orkla it is too high. A Norwegian friend fishing lower down has had two today. I was sent the pics they are both stunning storlaks. Roll on next year

sgellert

Reaction score
Tennis (Salmon) match Gaula/Orkla:
First Set (June): Gaula 1647 catches, Orkla 1560 catches, average weight approximately 14 Ibs for each side.
The second set (July) has just started, with a slight advantage to Gaula: 25 catches versus 12 for Orkla @10.00am this morning!
How do those numbers compare to previous seasons, and how has the water levels/temperature been, also compared to previous ?
Here in Denmark we've had plenty of water and fishing has been decent, though a lot less Germans fishing due to Corona travel restrictions, that only just got lifted about 2 weeks ago.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Here are the figures for June in 2018 and 2019 for the two rivers:
Orkla: 2018 June 1086, 2019 June 1029. (2020 June 1560)
Gaula: 2018 June 1257, 2019 June 1218. (2020 June 1647)
so a better year this June for both rivers. The water levels have been on the high side but are now dropping fast!
ATB
G.