Trondheim area 2019

stu spey

Reaction score
Hi Gauldalen thank you so much for taking the time to give me a very good update . We are very much looking forward to visiting Norway for the first time and to catch a fish will be a bonus. Thanks again Stuart

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Hi Gauldalen thank you so much for taking the time to give me a very good update . We are very much looking forward to visiting Norway for the first time and to catch a fish will be a bonus. Thanks again Stuart
Pleasure Sir! Some good and some bad news: the catches results have risen to 1744 fish, the weekly catch results from the research bag nets in the Trondheim fjord show that there are still fish coming, the bad news are that the water level is now down at 35 cbm/s and some warm weather is over us for next week! But as long as your fly is in the water, there is always hope! Tight lines! :thumb:

Last edited:

Soren

Reaction score
Gaula will be closed for all fishing as of friday 26/7, 12:00 PM - due to high (and rising) water temperature.
It will open again when conditions improve.

Last edited:

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
After a very low Catch in the Research bagnet at the start of July, Things picked up a good bit through July. Now it has been low again for some days. This seems to follow a pattern from many regions and countries this year. The storlaks run has been average, the mellomlaks run has been low (like 2014), while the grilse run is worryingly low so far. Fish are caught in the rivers that are open/have water, so if You are Fishing it is essential to have the fly in the water

We really need rain, and we will probably get it during the week. So far the Board on Gaula have posted that this thursday might see a reopening, if the weather forecast is right.

Last edited:

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
And then the weather has changed to cooler and wetter - which was needed. The Gaula reopened at midnight, and just now the flow at Gaulfoss is a whopping 36 m3/s and rising fast (it has been Down to 8 for days ....). It is no flood on the way now, just a lift. but the long time forecast indicates big rivers within some days. A good flushout is good after weeks of low and warm water.

As soon as the rise is over and Things start to fall and Clear we possibly get a jump in the catches all over. Even if this years run so far has been worryingly low for especially grilse and to some extent for mellomlaks.

Last edited:

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
And then we got some badly needed heavy rain. Gaulfoss 350 m3/s just now, and heavy rain predicted today. All local rivers are rising now.

When the rivers culminate somtime today or tomorrow, start to drop and clear those who fish should have reasonable chances.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Well, the season is now closed and the catches figures are, while decent, unfortunately not as exciting as in earlier years. Looking at the test net catches as a first remark, it seems that the run in the Trondheim’s fjord from the middle of July did not show up!
The total salmon catch for the Gaula is 3397 (best @47 Ibs), to which one may add 477 seatrout. One has to take into account the fact that the river was closed for fishing for almost three weeks in July, due to lack of water. For the record, 2018 showed a total salmon catch of 4955 and the 10 years average (2008-2017) prior to that shows a figure of 5136.
The two other main rivers in the Trondheim fjord seem to show about the same trends.
Orkla: 2019: 3428 (best @ 46 Ibs), 2018: 3865, ten years average (2008-2017): 4203
Stjørdal: 2019: 1907 (best @45 Ibs) 2018: 2269, ten years average (2008-2017):1954.
BUT, there is always next year!! :cool:

cloner

Reaction score
BUT, there is always next year!! :cool:

Sorry to say that but judging current climate changes and overall planet exploitation, years to come can only promise decline in salmon catches unless man kind becomes extincted.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Sorry to say that but judging current climate changes and overall planet exploitation, years to come can only promise decline in salmon catches unless man kind becomes extincted.
Janusz, my last sentence was meant as «*black humour*» conveyed by the «*cool*» emogy!
While a born optimist, I do tend to share your views as regard to the future!
G.

christian roulleau

Reaction score
I am also afraid that we are not going to the best; so let's take advantage of it fast and live next year.

Last edited:

Beltra Badger

Reaction score
Thanks again to Ursus and Gaulden again for the information through the year. Amazingly myself and my buddy traveled again in 2019 to the Gaula to find it closed for the entire week. This was two years running the same thing happened. The only difference in 2019 is that we had 2 days prior notice but as everything was booked we could not cancel. We fished the Orkla again but encountered no salmon, I had a seatrout of about 5lbs that was the best fish. We were able to salvage our trip because we had learnt a bit from 2018. Next year we’re going over earlier, the beginning of July (I can’t get there in June) but anyway I’m hoping that it’ll be 3rd time lucky and I’ll actually get to wet a line in the Gaula. We are also hoping to get some fishing on the Nidelva or/and Stjørdal. We’re trying to book fishing in a lottery type system on the Nidelva and I’m wondering if anyone has any information on this, even with google translate the application form won’t translate and we’re having difficulty getting the office on the phone. In regards the Stjørdal River if anyone here has information on how hard or easy it is to get daytickets on it and who or where to contact I’d be most grateful for any assistance. We fished the Nidelva in 2018 , the water was low in the city of Trondheim but the beat was challenging and very rocky. We’re hoping that by applying earlier and into the lottery we may get a day ticket for a more friendly beat.
If anyone can direct me even at this stage to any information on booking this was and how likely we are to be successful and what you think our chances will be please let me know here or private message.
In regards to the Stjørdal again, if anyone has fished it and experiences of booking day tickets on it and can help me to go in the right direction please feel free to pm me or post here.
Thanks in advance, hopefully in 2020 the weather will be kinder and water levels somewhere near normal and all the effort we’ve put in now booking our flights, accommodation and car hire already won’t be in vain. Thanks to those who have helped me already and thanks in advance to anyone who’s willing to share thier experience on the Nidelva and Stjørdal. Kind regards
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodcockandsewin

Reaction score
Access to the Stjordal is very simple....days tickets from the tackle shop in town, or Mitkil camping 20kms up river, where you can disinfect. The SJFF water has been very good to me!

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Beltra Badger :

I totally agree with W&S re the Stjørdal. Easy access to many beats.

regarding Nidelva, there are some TOFA beats that You can get tickets on.

Follow their website or even better : send them an email early on, when You know Your dates.

Ursus