Trondheim area 2019

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
the Namsen is a completely different animal, compared to Orkla or Gaula. it is more like an amazonas light, and best fished from the boat in many places. (there are some good fly beats as well, when the water level is a bit down).

most of the catches are done harling, and the spinning reel with a wobbler at the end is the most popular bait. And the level of catch &kill is regarded as sustainable.

I hve only fished it a few times, and I can understand why the preferred methods are like this given the sheer size of the watercourse, especially below the Sanddøla//namsen junction.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Two weeks in business and decent results

Looking at tonight catches results since June 01st, for the three main Trøndelag rivers, it reads as follows:
Gaula: 501 caught fish, average weight 19.6Ibs, best 39 Ibs. The beats above the waterfall are starting to produce.
Orkla: 422 caught fish, average weight 18.9Ibs, best 39 Ibs.
Stjørdal: 218 caught fish, average weight 17.8Ibs, best 32Ibs.
So a total of 1141 fish for the first two weeks. The water levels and temperature are OK for the time being, so let’s hope it keeps that way!
Tight lines for those of you coming up in the next few weeks!
G.

Last edited:

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
I think the 118cm from Sone 3 or 115 from Fuldseth may be a little heavier than 32lbs, but at least they are still swimming!!

Aye, thy are keen on the throat cutting over there. Best video I have seen so far is of a bloke sneaking up on a (hooked) salmon with a gaff,impaling the fish, and then sprinting out of the water up the bank with it. Do you get crocodiles in Norway? :lol:

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Last Count from the Research bagnets showed 14 storlaks (3sw/3sw+) and 24 mellomlaks (2sw), no grilse. The storlaks run so far is as expected. The mellomlaks and grilse on the slow side - so far. But they might just be a bit late in from the sea, still only mid june, far too early to conclude. The mellomlaks run is usually over around the end of july, while the grilse run usually is over in the 2nd week of aug.

The storlaks totals in the Research bagnets is already above the seasonal totals for 2014 and 2018, which both were poor storlaks seasons. And 2/3rds of the seasonal totals for 2015 and 2017. The storlaks run into the fjord is usually over around the 2nd week of July

Fish passed Gaulfoss in numbers early last weekend, so all rivers now have Fish in all the watercourse run by salmonids.

No really large Fish reported last week from any of the Trondheim fjord rivers. A 16 kgs Fish from Verdal is a surprise though. The main stem of Steinkjer does not open until 1st of July, it has the potential to produce some very large fish based on historisk catches.

Tight Lines!

SJF

Reaction score
Well, I arrived at Winsnes on Sunday. The river was at a good height, very, very, clear and falling. I managed two fish, one of 16lb and one stunning looking fish of 24lb. Then on Thursday it rained and the river is now up and tea coloured. This will make for very tricky fishing for today and tomorrow, but bodes well for next weeks visitors.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Well done! There is a good head of fish in the river and the beats above Gaulfossen are doing rather well! But as you mention, the water level has shot up to 272 cbm/s today and more rain is expected! 710 catches for the whole river since June 01st, not bad!

Barentssalmon

Reaction score
Dont give up! Gaula falls as fast as it rises. And fish have been caught in Kroken at waterflows far above 300 kbm! Keep the fly in the water!

SJF

Reaction score
I'll give it my best on my last day tomorrow. Fished Kroken today - but no joy. Matt and Anne Marit, run a very friendly lodge/home and there is some great water. I think I will be back!

Smoggy

Reaction score
Now only 14 sleeps before going on my second salmon fishing holiday to Norway. Off to a beat near Rennebu, fingers crossed for another successful trip !

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Now only 14 sleeps before going on my second salmon fishing holiday to Norway. Off to a beat near Rennebu, fingers crossed for another successful trip !
The Orkla catch is up to 696 fish as I write, average weight just over 18Ibs, so there are a decent run of fish and as UN mentioned in another thread, on the basis of the research catch nets, there is a good run of medium sized fish on the way! So let’s just hope that the water levels and temperature remain OK! Tight lines!

bassfly

Reaction score
The Orkla catch is up to 696 fish as I write, average weight just over 18Ibs, so there are a decent run of fish and as UN mentioned in another thread, on the basis of the research catch nets, there is a good run of medium sized fish on the way! So let’s just hope that the water levels and temperature remain OK! Tight lines!
Fishing the Orkla from Sunday for the week. Hoping the water is better than last year and that those salmon arrive.

Smoggy

Reaction score

Let's hope it s better than last year when they reduced the compensation water down to a trickle. This accompanied with clear blue skies and temperatures of around 26-29degC made fishing challenging !

Gauldalen

Reaction score
As a followup, here is the catches status for the three main rivers of the Trondheim area as per today, beginning of the afternoon:
Gaula 1165 catches, average weight 17,5 Ibs
Orkla 967 catches, average weight 17 Ibs
Stjørdal 475 catches, average weight 16 Ibs.
So a total of 2607 fish for the first month plus one day. The water levels should stay at a rather high level for the coming days (weeks?) due to a rather cold weather and significant amounts of rain forecast for this week.

Last edited:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
After six weeks into the season the results for the thee main rivers of the Trondheim fjord (Gaula, Orkla, Stjørdal) are as follows:
Gaula: 2105 salmon, best catch 47Ibs
Orkla: 1556 salmon, best catch 43Ibs
Stjørdal: 1019 salmon, best catch 43Ibs
So a total of 4680 salmon, an average year sofar! A good run of grilses in the last few days! Going forward, water levels might become an issue, but we will have to wait and see!
Tight lines to those of you heading for the area in the near future!
G.

Last edited:

Greegs

Reaction score

The grilse are running the Gaula in good numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greegs

Reaction score
We had a good weeks hard fishing at Winsnes.
18 fish for the week & low water by the end of the week.

Loads of fish still running through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Hello Gauldalen,
Do you know the fishing technique for these catches:
fly, worm, or spinning?
Gaula: fly 63%, worm 21%, spinning 16%
Orkla: fly 64%, worm 23%, spinning 13%
For the Stjørdal, you will have to access the river site and count yourself, as they do not publish aggregate fishing techniques results! :thumb:
G.

stu spey

Reaction score
Hi we are going to Aunan Lodge on the Orkla this coming Sunday 21st does anyone have any news on conditions and how its fishing etc. Thanks

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Hi we are going to Aunan Lodge on the Orkla this coming Sunday 21st does anyone have any news on conditions and how its fishing etc. Thanks
The Orkla lost some speed, compared to June. The total tonight for the season as I write, is 1646, just under 100 fish caught in the last two days. Aunan shows a total record of 53 (best fish 32Ibs), 35 in June and 18 for July. The water level is just over 60 cbm/s, which is good. The big question mark will be the catch results from the research bagnets in the Trondheim fjord,which were rather low last week! But you will see fish and hopefully catch some, in a great lodge with excellent catering and staff! Just enjoy it! Tight lines! :thumb:

Last edited: