Trondheim area 2019

Greegs

Reaction score
Hi Ursus, Interesting info, what will this mean for the Gaula? I'm not due there for a while ( 16th June on the Gaula at Winsnes) but I assume an early warm spring should allow the fish past the Gaulafossen early? Is that right?

I panic that I might be there before the fish can get through.

Have u fished Winsnes before?

We go on week 28 & were there last year.

It’s a brilliant bit of water & listen to George as he will put you onto fish at any height of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJF

Reaction score
Have u fished Winsnes before?

We go on week 28 & were there last year.

It’s a brilliant bit of water & listen to George as he will put you onto fish at any height of water.

No, I've never fished Norway at all before - which is a bit Daft considering I have worked for a Norwegian company for 28 years and have been there many many times. I've done Kola, and Argentina, and BC - but Norway for some reason has taken me a long time to get round to! I'm really looking forward to it - it looks like a really nice place. I'm going on my own as a trip with mates fell through. I'm sure I'll find someone to have drink with though.

Greegs

Reaction score
No, I've never fished Norway at all before - which is a bit Daft considering I have worked for a Norwegian company for 28 years and have been there many many times. I've done Kola, and Argentina, and BC - but Norway for some reason has taken me a long time to get round to! I'm really looking forward to it - it looks like a really nice place. I'm going on my own as a trip with mates fell through. I'm sure I'll find someone to have drink with though.

Matt & Ann Marit will take very good care of you.

It is a wonderful place to fish & if the fish are there then you won’t believe what it’s like.

Last year when we went it was the lowest water they had in 88yrs but still plenty of fish there.

Looking off the old bridge into the pool & there were 3/400 salmon in the pool but very hard to catch.

We had 16 fish for a party of 5 for the week which was good going considering the conditions.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
update

Good flow , ok temps and a bit wetter weather now. The catches in the Research bagnets will be updated tomorrow again.

My Guess is that there are few Fish in the rivers so far, and no above gaulfoss or in the upper Orkla so far. For Orkla that can change in a few days, while gaula needs to drop a lot before they can pass gaulfoss.

It is now interesting to monitor the run into the fjords, which is a bit late so far.

Fingers crossed, still a week to og, a lot can happen in that timeframe.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
1: The Counter at Bjørset is operating, and has been so for a few days. I have not seen any videos of Fish passing so far ( I might have missed it) . But obviously they might have been some Fish passing, especially in higher flows and/or when it is dark. It usually starts to operate around the 15th of May, and some years ago many Fish could be seen from day one. The last years we have seen a delay of the initial run into the fjord in general.

The link to the stream from camera at the Bjørset Dam on orkla :

Bjorseth - YouTube

2: The Research bagnets Catch Fish heading for all 6 large rivers in the fjord : Orkla, Gaula, Nidelva, Stjørdal (With Forra) , Verdal and Steinkjer. And also Fish heading for the many smaller rivers the empties into the vast fjord system. Many of the Fish are tagged, and can be seen in the specific rivers later.

3: The Orkla was usually the river With the earliest running Fish, and the Nidelva the river With the latest running Fish - in general. The netsmen and the researchers say that they many times can decide on the shape of the Fish which river it possibly is heading for, especially bigger Fish. But this is no secure Method.

Last edited:

Jonsey

Reaction score
1E9F9577-CAE8-47E9-9642-C63207A0A367.jpeg

A fat one traversing Bjorset a few days ago..

Feugh

Reaction score
My work are very kindly sending me over for a course in the second week of June in Trondheim, and I’ve managed to get flights a day early so that I can spend a day on the Stjordal (Sunday 9th). Can anyone help me with any general advice regarding the Stjordal? Ursus Nautilus has kindly send a contact for the association already, but any background information is gratefully received.
Thanks,
Feugh.

Greegs

Reaction score
1: The Counter at Bjørset is operating, and has been so for a few days. I have not seen any videos of Fish passing so far ( I might have missed it) . But obviously they might have been some Fish passing, especially in higher flows and/or when it is dark. It usually starts to operate around the 15th of May, and some years ago many Fish could be seen from day one. The last years we have seen a delay of the initial run into the fjord in general.

The link to the stream from camera at the Bjørset Dam on orkla :

Bjorseth - YouTube

2: The Research bagnets Catch Fish heading for all 6 large rivers in the fjord : Orkla, Gaula, Nidelva, Stjørdal (With Forra) , Verdal and Steinkjer. And also Fish heading for the many smaller rivers the empties into the vast fjord system. Many of the Fish are tagged, and can be seen in the specific rivers later.

3: The Orkla was usually the river With the earliest running Fish, and the Nidelva the river With the latest running Fish - in general. The netsmen and the researchers say that they many times can decide on the shape of the Fish which river it possibly is heading for, especially bigger Fish. But this is no secure Method.

When we were fishing Winsnes last year I caught a smallish salmon, around 6lbs, & it was built like a tuna.

Matt had already told us about the fish that run the Gaula & I knew straight away that it was a Fora fish I had caught because of its proportions.

So maybe they do know by shape what rivers they are from.

Swinger

Reaction score
Looking for some info on day tickets for the Stjordal 14th/15th June if anyone can help? Recommendations/availability/where to purchase etc. Cheers.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Not a bad opening day after some days of terrible, wet and cold weather. All number not ready yet. But about 80 fish from Gaula 50 from Orkla and 20 from Stjørdal. As more fish come in to the fjord the catches should increase. Few fish above Gaulfoss so far by the way.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Just a follow up on UN summary of the first day:
As per tonight, we have a total of 587 catches from the three main rivers of the Trondheim fjord:
Stjørdal: 109 salmon, best @29 Ibs, 75% caught on fly.
Gaula: 277 salmon, best @37 Ibs, 55% caught on fly, only 4 caught above Gaulfossen upto now.
Orkla: 201 salmon, best @ 36 Ibs, 67% caught on fly.
Tight lines for those of you who will visit the area in the next few weeks! :thumb:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
One week since the fishing opened in Trøndelag and the results are encouraging:
The grand total for the four main river systems is 1043 fish for the first week. It is worth mentioning that some of the Namsen tributaries started on May 15th, just to give a clear picture.
It seems that we have had a decent run of good fish sofar:
Gaula: 330 catches, average weight 20.7Ibs, best fish 36,6Ibs
Orkla: 248 catches, average weight 19.6Ibs, best fish 39Ibs
Stjørdal: 130 catches, average weight 17,8 Ibs, best fish 31.3 Ibs
Namsen and tributaries: 335 catches, average weight 20.4Ibs, best fish 46.07Ibs
The Nidelva, which runs through parts of Trondheim delivered only 3 fish, BUT for an average weight of 30.9Ibs!!! Not bad for those of you who are looking for big fish! :cool:
Tight lines and welcome!
PS: You need to remember that water levels do play a role in salmon fishing! While the levels look fine just now, a dry July and/or August is not impossible! :nod:

Last edited:

woodcockandsewin

Reaction score
What I find interesting is the C&R rate, stated at 2%, but actually the biggest one was 5.3kgs. Less than 1% if taken on weight. Fair play if the river can sustain the harvest. Good to see Orkla and Gaula up towards 50% already. Stjordal nearer 25%.

The river I am off to next week was running at 800 cubix at the weekend....hopefully will drop a fair bit over the next 10 days, or I might have to buy a few wobblers!

Gauldalen

Reaction score
What I find interesting is the C&R rate, stated at 2%, but actually the biggest one was 5.3kgs. Less than 1% if taken on weight. Fair play if the river can sustain the harvest. Good to see Orkla and Gaula up towards 50% already. Stjordal nearer 25%.

The river I am off to next week was running at 800 cubix at the weekend....hopefully will drop a fair bit over the next 10 days, or I might have to buy a few wobblers!
I see that the water level is down to 690 cubix now, so on its way down! Cross fingers and tight lines! :thumb: