Trondheim area 2019

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
We currently have a good Level of snow, and more snow is forecasted this week. We already have enough snow reserves in the
Mountains for a good "flush out" druring the spring flood. Whenever that comes.

The spawning-/redd- Counts for Orkla, Gaula and Stjørdal were unusually good this Autumn by the way.

Still more than 3 months to go - good we have Scotland for some spring Fishing !

Ursus

stu spey

Reaction score
We currently have a good Level of snow, and more snow is forecasted this week. We already have enough snow reserves in the
Mountains for a good "flush out" druring the spring flood. Whenever that comes.

The spawning-/redd- Counts for Orkla, Gaula and Stjørdal were unusually good this Autumn by the way.

Still more than 3 months to go - good we have Scotland for some spring Fishing !

Ursus

Hi good news about the redd counts. I am very much looking forward to fishing the Orkla in the summer and visiting Trondheim . Hopefully there will be a bit of water

stu spey

Reaction score
Hi Ursus I was wondering if you could give me some advice on places you would recommend to go for a meal in Trondheim . We are staying in the town on our first and last night but are hoping to visit as much of the place as possible . Thanks Stu

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Dining in Trondhei,

Stu, that really depends on what you are looking for and what You are willing to pay.

In general, the old wharf is the most "lively" part in summer and in warm weather especially.

For light meals, Søstrene Karlsen is a good alternative. Cowsea serves both burgers and sushi - or a good combination. While Una is my preferred italian/pizza restaurant down there.

I also recommen a walk in the old wooden building district of "Bakklandet", whick also have some small restaurants and coffeshops. the Bakklandet Skydssstation" is my firm favourite there.

reserving tables might be needed in general , especially in good weather.

ursus

Last edited:

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
snow update

the last half of feb was unnaturally warm, like most of northern Europe. Strange weather.

Most of the snow in lower areas just vaporized in the heat. and quite a lot of it in areas up to 1.000 m asl as swell. last few days has brought more snow, but the reserves are on the low side now.

anyway, a few days of north/west in march or april can change that rapidly ...

stu spey

Reaction score
Stu, that really depends on what you are looking for and what You are willing to pay.

In general, the old wharf is the most "lively" part in summer and in warm weather especially.

For light meals, Søstrene Karlsen is a good alternative. Cowsea serves both burgers and sushi - or a good combination. While Una is my preferred italian/pizza restaurant down there.

I also recommen a walk in the old wooden building district of "Bakklandet", whick also have some small restaurants and coffeshops. the Bakklandet Skydssstation" is my firm favourite there.

reserving tables might be needed in general , especially in good weather.

ursus
Thanks that is very useful information. Una sounds perfect .

stu spey

Reaction score
the last half of feb was unnaturally warm, like most of northern Europe. Strange weather.

Most of the snow in lower areas just vaporized in the heat. and quite a lot of it in areas up to 1.000 m asl as swell. last few days has brought more snow, but the reserves are on the low side now.

anyway, a few days of north/west in march or april can change that rapidly ...

Hi Ursus thanks for the update . All information is much appreciated. I will keep my fingers crossed . Do keep the updates coming when you can . Thanks Stu

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Easter update

Easter is upon is, THE skiing highlight for many Norwegian. Snow reserves in the mountains around 80 pst of avg. Bright days and clear frosty nights all the coming week. A switch to warmer weather will probably make an early spring if it happens.

christian roulleau

Reaction score
Hello Ursus,
I would be the first 10 days of June in Hegra at Midtkil camping.
Are there good spots for salmon? I do not know the region
only the north of the country (Storfossen on the Tana).
Thank you in advance for the information.
cordially

Last edited:

christian roulleau

Reaction score
Hello,

I do not know, I'll see on the spot! I only have meager information found on the campsite website. It's a discovery for me.
So if you could give me some info, I would lose maybe a
a little less time and avoid some "traps"
Thank you

S

Sintrexorcised

Easter is upon is, THE skiing highlight for many Norwegian. Snow reserves in the mountains around 80 pst of avg. Bright days and clear frosty nights all the coming week. A switch to warmer weather will probably make an early spring if it happens.

Looks like it has happened

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
early spring flood

The weather has been unseasonable warm the last week, hence a heat induced thaw is going on. Stjørdal above 300 m3/S at Hegra, the Selbusjøen lake (Which feeds Nidelva and is bigger than loch Ness) is more than 2 m above the avg height for this time of the year, Gulfos has been over 700 m3/S and Orkl at Syrstad around 400 m3/S (a lot of the meltwater in Orkla ends up in the dams higher up)

ursus

SJF

Reaction score
The weather has been unseasonable warm the last week, hence a heat induced thaw is going on. Stjørdal above 300 m3/S at Hegra, the Selbusjøen lake (Which feeds Nidelva and is bigger than loch Ness) is more than 2 m above the avg height for this time of the year, Gulfos has been over 700 m3/S and Orkl at Syrstad around 400 m3/S (a lot of the meltwater in Orkla ends up in the dams higher up)

ursus

Hi Ursus, Interesting info, what will this mean for the Gaula? I'm not due there for a while ( 16th June on the Gaula at Winsnes) but I assume an early warm spring should allow the fish past the Gaulafossen early? Is that right?

I panic that I might be there before the fish can get through.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Hi Ursus, Interesting info, what will this mean for the Gaula? I'm not due there for a while ( 16th June on the Gaula at Winsnes) but I assume an early warm spring should allow the fish past the Gaulafossen early? Is that right?

I panic that I might be there before the fish can get through.
As Ursus might be very busy, I take the liberty to answer your question, I am sure that he will forgive me !!:surrender:
As a general rule, salmon won’t get over Gaulfossen when levels are above 300 cbm/s and/or the water temperature is below 8˚Celsius and there can be problems until the third week of June. A few outfitters over the falls have alternate arrangements to tackle this problem, but I don’t know what Mr M. Hayes does in such a case.
In order for you to follow up what’s going on, here are two links: they are in Norwegian but the graphs and figures speak for themselves
1/ Gaulfossen water level:
Vannf?ring for Gaulfoss Nr:122.9.0
2/ Gaulfossen water temperature level:
Vanntemperatur for Gaulfoss Nr:122.9.0
I hope that this will help you manage your stress! :lol:
Welcome to the Gaula and tight lines
Gauldalen

Last edited:

SJF

Reaction score
As Ursus might be very busy, I take the liberty to answer your question, I am sure that he will forgive me !!:surrender:
As a general rule, salmon won’t get over Gaulfossen when levels are above 300 cbm/s and/or the water temperature is below 8˚Celsius and there can be problems until the third week of June. A few outfitters over the falls have alternate arrangements to tackle this problem, but I don’t know what Mr M. Hayes does in such a case.
In order for you to follow up what’s going on, here are two links: they are in Norwegian but the graphs and figures speak for themselves
1/ Gaulfossen water level:
Vannf?ring for Gaulfoss Nr:122.9.0
2/ Gaulfossen water temperature level:
Vanntemperatur for Gaulfoss Nr:122.9.0
I hope that this will help you manage your stress! :lol:
Welcome to the Gaula and tight lines
Gauldalen

Thanks, I speak a little Norsk having worked for a Norwegian company for the last 27 years! But as you say, the graphs are self explanatory and I shall follow them carefully over the next 6 weeks. Each outfitter describes their beat as "the best on the river" - but have you any idea what the quality the Winsnes beats are? A bit academic as I going regardless, but I like to be forewarned.

Hopefully we get the first or second week of the new run coming up the Gaulafossen and they are angry and biting. I'm guessing I'll be using big tubes 12 - 15 cm wing, and fishing deep that week. Any other input gladly received.

Tussen takk

Simon

Last edited:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Thanks, I speak a little Norsk having worked for a Norwegian company for the last 27 years! But as you say, the graphs are self explanatory and I shall follow them carefully over the next 6 weeks. Each outfitter describes their beat as "the best on the river" - but have you any idea what the quality the Winsnes beats are? A bit academic as I going regardless, but I like to be forewarned.

Hopefully we get the first or second week of the new run coming up the Gaulafossen and they are angry and biting. I'm guessing I'll be using big tubes 12 - 15 cm wing, and fishing deep that week. Any other input gladly received.

Tussen takk

Simon
Quality is, most of the time, a very subjective topic « in the eyes of the consumer»! Winsnes had 148 catches last season, which positions it as nr 8. The big flood of 2013 has seriously damaged a few of the beat’s best pools!
But it offers some very nice pools in a gorgeous landscape!
As to your setup, you won’t go wrong with large tubes in June! Tight lines!
Gauldalen

Jonsey

Reaction score

Tussen takk

Simon

It’s one of the better beats IMHO, relaxed atmosphere, excellent pools and low fishing pressure. June can be tough that high up, so pray for an early spring. The quality of fish at that time of year is excellent.

66234476-FD9F-4500-A794-B620308E1398.jpeg

christian roulleau

Reaction score
I keep watching the levels and temperatures on lakseelver! But to hope to be able to fish, that it must be the average for the stjordal?