Trondheim area 2018

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Just to keep you informed, for those of you who might have a booking for the next few weeks of the season, it seems that things are going pretty well just now, specially on the Gaula. I reported 593 fish caught up to August 06th for the Orkla and the Gaula, three days later we are up to 1278 fish as I write, 10.43pm local time. We are expecting some 16 mm of rain tomorrow and the water temperature is down to 15,5 Celsius, so conditions look good for an excellent end to the season!
Tight lines!

Gauldalen

Reaction score
As UN mentioned, there was indeed very little fishing yesterday, but the waterflow dropped down rather fast and as I write, it is now 126 cb/s on the Gaula, down from just under 700 yesterday morning and 71 cb/s on the Orkla, down from 400 yesterday! As a consequence, The fishing has been quite good and the cumulate score for both rivers for the two first weeks of August is now at 1783 fish for the two rivers (593 on Tuesday), specially on the Gaula, with a best fish of just over 40Ibs and a good number of high twenties. Refreshing news! :thumb:

Last edited:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
A little update from the Gaula and Orkla rivers. As I write, Gaula shows a total catch for August of 1713 salmon and the Orkla is up to 964. It is raining and the water levels are respectively at 46 cbm/s on the Gaula and 16 cbm/s on the Orkla. A few very good fish caught and the few weeks left should not disappoint! Cross fingers and tight lines for those of you due to fish one of these rivers in the remaining weeks of the season. :thumb:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Salmon fishing can be dangerous!

I prefer to report on salmon catches, but our sport brings with it some serious challenges and the Gaula or the Orkla can present some serious danger, which tourists are not always aware of! A Swedish guy drowned yesterday in Støren, after falling into the river in the middle of the afternoon. This tragedy follows the death of a Danish fisherman two weeks ago, a guy who had been coming to the Gaula for fourty years! My thoughts go to their families! :(

wetwader

Reaction score
I prefer to report on salmon catches, but our sport brings with it some serious challenges and the Gaula or the Orkla can present some serious danger, which tourists are not always aware of! A Swedish guy drowned yesterday in Støren, after falling into the river in the middle of the afternoon. This tragedy follows the death of a Danish fisherman two weeks ago, a guy who had been coming to the Gaula for fourty years! My thoughts go to their families! :(

This are really sad news from Gaula. Two tragedies in short time.
Thank you for the information and the warning!

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Back to some good news!

On my last catch report, on August 16th, I quoted 1713 salmon caught since August 01st on The Gaula and 964 on the Orkla. A new check up today, August 19th, shows that things are progressing nicely with some very decent figures for both rivers: The Gaula is now up to 1923 caught fish for August and the Orkla at 1147. 3070 fish is a solid figure, slightly lower than last year, but hopefully still a good indication of a good head of fish to spawn in both rivers this autumn! :thumb:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
A good end for the season on the Gaula and the Orkla!

On August 19th, the combined catches for the month were just over 3000 fish. Looking at the watch, four hours before the season closes and the result will be a decent one, cumulating at 4550 salmon in August for the two rivers. It is twice the results of 2017 for the same August period.
However, taking a look at the whole season, it is interesting to see that the combined result for both rivers is down from 10005 catches in 2017 to 8706 in 2018 (-13%). The decrease comes from the Orkla’s catches, a total of 3817 for 2018. I won’t speculate on the causes, but can think of two possible ones: 1/the river is regulated and the minimum waterlevel was brought down to 10cbm/s very early in July when the heatwave hit the region and 2/ the last head of fish coming into the fjord (test nets results) at the end of July were mostly heading for the Gaula. Just some thoughts! Welcome back next year! :thumb:

woodcockandsewin

Reaction score
...and Stjordal

The Stjordal had a strong finish to the season as well...around 1250 fish in august against 1000 in June/July combined. The drought broke on august 5th, and excellent levels thereafter. I caught a sea liced fish last weekend, so the run was still going until the end.

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Gaula valley

I had a few days holiday in Trondheim, as part of a none fishing holiday. Hired a car and had a ride out to Storen, and on to Roros. What a stunning river it is.
It was the last day of the season, and there were plenty fishing. Didn't see any caught, but thanks to the very friendly guy in the nature centre at Storen, managed to watch half a dozen 6-10lb fish trying the waterfall near Haltdalen. Stunning to see, small grilse flashing everywhere. (Picked up some nice Arctic foxhair, not seen the like in the UK, at the nature centre, and everything was at 40% off, so got the range ?:)).
Next day went to see the fortress at Hegra, driving along the Stordal, loved the wooden salmon signs to guide you to the beats, very organised !
Definitely an excellent couple of days, which both the missus, and myself, agreed we would have to repeat, but I will have some rods with me ?:nod:
Question: What is the access, and availability, on the Gaula, are there club / association type waters you can fish ? Or is it all tied up via the tour operators ?
We tend to prefer 'Add-Libbing' for our holidays, and doing our own thing !

Mel....

Gauldalen

Reaction score
I had a few days holiday in Trondheim, as part of a none fishing holiday. Hired a car and had a ride out to Storen, and on to Roros. What a stunning river it is.
It was the last day of the season, and there were plenty fishing. Didn't see any caught, but thanks to the very friendly guy in the nature centre at Storen, managed to watch half a dozen 6-10lb fish trying the waterfall near Haltdalen. Stunning to see, small grilse flashing everywhere. (Picked up some nice Arctic foxhair, not seen the like in the UK, at the nature centre, and everything was at 40% off, so got the range ?:)).
Next day went to see the fortress at Hegra, driving along the Stordal, loved the wooden salmon signs to guide you to the beats, very organised !
Definitely an excellent couple of days, which both the missus, and myself, agreed we would have to repeat, but I will have some rods with me ?:nod:
Question: What is the access, and availability, on the Gaula, are there club / association type waters you can fish ? Or is it all tied up via the tour operators ?
We tend to prefer 'Add-Libbing' for our holidays, and doing our own thing !

Mel....
Yes there are a few clubs which sell day tickets, Støren fishing club is one and you can buy the tickets from the Gaula Nature Centre you refer to. They have several beats in the middle river and the Sokna tributary. Overall, you can access club waters from the bottom of the river (Melhus) to Haltdalen where you went to see Heggafossen. As to the operators, some are very serious, some are just «jokes», one has to be careful when parting with a significant amount of money for a week’s fishing.
You also refer to the Stjørdal, which has accessible waters through the local club and had a very decent season this year! Tight lines!

Loxie

Reaction score
Can I say thank you to the Contributors to this thread for sharing their knowledge so selflessly. It makes for very interesting reading and is inspiring me to try to return to your magnificent country.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
season wrap up

in total, the season wasn't too bad. and when one takes the very warm and dry weather into account, it ended rather well. a lot of weeks were (close to) unfishable.

the run into the fjord was avg for grilse and 2 sw fish, and low (as predicted) for 3sw(+) fish/storlaks.

the catches of escaped farmed fish has been very low, which is good !

for public water, Stjordal is by far the best river in the area. in addition, Orkla has some interesting beats selling daily and weekly tickets, like Gaula.

Added feb 2019 :

As for Orkla not delivering so much Fish after the rain returned, that is in mye view becaus the hydropower compoany chose to hold back most of the rainfall. Hence we did not see a big
rise like on the other rivers. The spawning Count in the autimn showed that a lot of Fish was present in the river the survey was done.

Last edited:

lax0341

Reaction score
If you move over after the second week in July you can have some very good dayticket fishing all over the Gaula, Orkla and Stoerdal.
Ask for it in the Gaula Naturcenter.

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Many Thanks Ursus, Gauldalen, and Lax.

Great info. guys many thanks!
My wife enjoyed our trip to Norway a great deal, so much I have got the green light (Instruction:)?)to plan another trip for next year, but with some fishing this time ....result !:thumb::tongue:
I am hoping to put some time in on both the Gaula, and the Stordal, some time in July / August.
Could you recomend any sections to target, and what sort of cost per day / week ticket ?
I would consider myself an enthusiastic, persistent ( Stubborn), intermediate, and certainly no expert ! So any insight, help, will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
Mel....

Last edited: