Trondheim area 2018

Jeff 2

Reaction score
Orkla

Hi fellow fishermen
I'm making my first trip for Atlantics. I'll be fishing the Orkla river all next week, Aunan beat. Just wondering what to expect. It looks like low water. Any suggestions appreciated.
Jeff 2

lax0341

Reaction score
Try some small black flies and fish until midnight if the water is still low. Hegelli could also a good fly in such conditions as well as a Hairy Mairy.

Jeff 2

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the help. It looks like I have a decent assortment of flies in comparison. It'll be interesting to see if any of my steelhead and pacific salmon tactics will be of any help. My expections are not that great. I know I'll be happy for just the opportunity. That said there's always beginners luck!
Jeff 2

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
First :

The very dry and at times very warm weather continues. All rivers are affected, which keeps the catches Down. Some have a Hydro, which in times like these give a steady flow of Cold water, which is much apprreciated.

there are many Fish in the rivers, but they are very reluctant takers due to the "Costa del Trondelag" conditions...

Still no substantial rain in the 10 day forecasts ...

Second :

Jeff : We met at Aunan, I was there late fri until sun. A pity I did not visit this site the previous week. Very good Meeting you and Your wife. Have a Nice vacation ! And well done on Your Fish, in very tricky conditions.

Ursus

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Status after 1 month

Given The very low rivers for most Of June, The catches have not been too bad.

Orkla came out on around 1.100 fish, Gaula on roughly 1.200 and Stjordal roughly 550.

If we at some time Get a good flood, The week after should show us The potential.

Orkla is mostly running at min comp flow, just above 20 m3/s, gradually icreasing a bit as the river flows toward the sea. The Nid has a min comp flow around 35 m3/S, while Stjordal sees 9,5 m3/s from Nustadfoss at the top. Stjordal has 2 significant trips midway though, Sona and Forra, which usually at least double the flow. Gaula runs at 12 m3/s at >gaulfoss this morning, and is dropping further. In general there are more cons than pros With a Hydropower scheme, but in these dry times they are a pro. They also keep the watertemp Down.

Ursus

Last edited:

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Getting drier, and a good stock of fish

We hade Heavy rain in Trondheim sun evening, but - as usual - the Wind was more west than North/west, and most of Orkla and Gaula did not see much rain. Gaulfoss was Down to 6,5 m3/s during the weekend , which is very very low and very rare .

Due to the very low water, all Fishing in the Gaula tribs Forda, Bua and Sokna was stopped last Friday. and Fishing in Gaulas main stem was stopped above the Junction With the Hulta trib i Haltdalen. The hydropower Company has also Applied for - and reduced - the min comp flow in Orkla. From yesterday it is Down to 10 m3/s from near the top.

Both Gaula and Orkla has just passed 1.400 Fish and around 8,5 tons after 5 weeks Fishing. Really good given the conditions/lack of water - there are a lot of Fish in the rivers.

Stjørdal is a about 700 Fish and 3.500 kgs. Stjørdal and Forra has recently seen a couple of floods that have missed Orkla and Gaula.

Nid is very slow - running on min comp flow (35 m3/s) all the time.

Let's hope we get some serious rain soon , it is strongly needed by Wildlife, hydropower Companies and farmers. But probably not - the 10 day forecast says no significant rain and daytime temps in the 20-25 C bracket ...

Ursus

Last edited:

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Thunder and lightning and - rain ??

The showers on sunday, has kept Gaulfoss above 20 m3/s the last 2 days, which is good.

The met has now - not unsurprising - suddenly warned that the very hot weather might lead to build of of T&L combined With Heavy, local rain in the narrow Valleys in the headwaters of Orkla and Gaula . If so, it will be very welcome (if it rains enough to put up the wildfires which will be started by Lightning). We'll see what happens - usually such showers lead to a very dirty water, and then improved Fishing when it all settles again.

The run into the fjord is good, and a lift of (dirty) water usually encourage an upward migration of both Fish in the rivers and Fish in the estuaries.

Fingers crossed for some Heavy rain ;-)

Ursus

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
Glasses

TAKK: Have my glasses on today.

Have you any Finnmark ? Kola reports ?

I suppose Alta will have no probs due to the Hydro but keen to hear from you if you've time. Also, any info on Pinks/ Humpbacks ?

Cheers Dave Tight Lines

The showers on sunday, has kept Gaulfoss above 20 m3/s the last 2 days, which is good.

The met has now - not unsurprising - suddenly warned that the very hot weather might lead to build of of T&L combined With Heavy, local rain in the narrow Valleys in the headwaters of Orkla and Gaula . If so, it will be very welcome (if it rains enough to put up the wildfires which will be started by Lightning). We'll see what happens - usually such showers lead to a very dirty water, and then improved Fishing when it all settles again.

The run into the fjord is good, and a lift of (dirty) water usually encourage an upward migration of both Fish in the rivers and Fish in the estuaries.

Fingers crossed for some Heavy rain ;-)

Ursus

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Dave : I try to concentrate on the Trondheim area here. There are many others in the internet world who can do Finnmark and Kola better than me. I live less than 1 h drive from Orkla, Gaula, Nid and Stjørdal and Fish them all - so that's my home turf ;-)

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Dave : I try to concentrate on the Trondheim area here. There are many others in the internet world who can do Finnmark and Kola better than me. I live less than 1 h drive from Orkla, Gaula, Nid and Stjørdal and Fish them all - so that's my home turf ;-)

Dave,
You can read the Roxtons 2018 report on the Varzuga. Not a great season there before it closed.

Roxtons' Varzuga Blog

Jeff 2

Reaction score
Aunan

Ursus:
Small world. It was a pleasure meeting you as well. The second half of our trip was spectacular! Thanks for your help and suggestions! What a beautiful country! Many kind and helpful people! We wanted to stay longer. We will have to come back.

Sorry to see things are still dry. Hopefully it will improve soon.
Jeff 2

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Gaula closed

Sad but inevitable ...

GAULA RIVER IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED

Due to a combination of extreme low and critical warm water the Gaula River is temporarily closed from all fishing started from Saturday 28th July 2018 at 21.00.

The Gaula River is closed until water level will rise and become cooler. The situation will be followed closely and anglers will be informed when Gaula River will be opened again for fishing.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
status ultimo July

Very low and unusually warm water has dominated the Whole month. But it looks like we finally will get a bit wetter and cooler weather late this week - not too early ...

Gaula was closed due to the very warm water, and the same goes With Verdal. Nidelva, Stjørdal and Orkla have min comp flows, and even that is halved in Orkla. Gaula fishermen coming from afar will move in droves to Orkla this week, where some Fishing still can be had on parts of some beats - while many simply have too little water now to be good for Fishing. Stjørdal will Close the tributaries (Forra and Sona) and the main stem below the Junction With Forra. The reason is mainly that the water is too warm. The last time we saw a compareable drought was in 1947 according to the met, so this is a rather rare event.

The run into the fjord is still good. 23 grilse, 36 two sw Fish and 4 storlaks in last 6 day Count. Gives a guesstimate of ((23+36+4)/0,02) * 7/6 = 3.675 Fish into the fjord last week (a guesstimate, but over time they seem to be roughly right).

Catch stats pr the 30th of July :

Gaula : 2.298 Fish
Orkla : 2.216 Fish
Stjordal : 1.148 salmon
Verdal : 292 salmon
Steinkjer : 192 salmon
Nidelva : 214 salmon

All rivers are severely influenced by low and warm water since before opening, some more than others.

Ursus

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
cooler and wetter weather coming ?

The first cool morning in months. It is reining Heavy in South/western Norway, and the long time forecast tells of some rain and cooler weather Next week. let's hope we get it !

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Aye... .the rain started just as we boarded the flight home last night. There were plenty big silver bars waiting to run the Stjordal, just out in the bay proper.

Beltra Badger

Reaction score
Lads and Ladies.
Last week myself and a buddy travelled to the Gaula river to fish and needless to say we’re disappointed to discover that the river was closed on the day we arrived. Little did I realize that one member of this forum would ensure that our trip would not be a complete disaster we owe a big thank you to Ursus Nautilus aka Bjorn for giving us invaluable assistance being able to organize help for us to source some fishing on the Orkla.
His assistance was invaluable to ensuring we were able to rescue our weeks fishing that we had been looking forward to for so long.
His phone calls and texts and his kind encouragement in helping two strangers to his country that he had never met.
Without his help we would have been at a serious disadvantage. On our trip water levels and water temperature was against us. We were delighted to have the opportunity to fish the Orkla and we got to see a small section of beautiful Norway, the People were very nice and friendly.
We owe him a deep gratitude, Thanks once again. thank you so much for your invaluable help, you are a gentlemen.
Tightlines for the rest of the season and blessings from Ireland.
Sincerely
Beltra Badger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Lads and Ladies.
Last week myself and a buddy travelled to the Gaula river to fish and needless to say we’re disappointed to discover that the river was closed on the day we arrived. Little did I realize that one member of this forum would ensure that our trip would not be a complete disaster we owe a big thank you to Ursus Nautilus aka Bjorn for giving us invaluable assistance being able to organize help for us to source some fishing on the Orkla.
His assistance was invaluable to ensuring we were able to rescue our weeks fishing that we had been looking forward to for so long.
His phone calls and texts and his kind encouragement in helping two strangers to his country that he had never met.
Without his help we would have been at a serious disadvantage. On our trip water levels and water temperature was against us. We were delighted to have the opportunity to fish the Orkla and we got to see a small section of beautiful Norway, the People were very nice and friendly.
We owe him a deep gratitude, Thanks once again. thank you so much for your invaluable help, you are a gentlemen.
Tightlines for the rest of the season and blessings from Ireland.
Sincerely
Beltra Badger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, B. is a true gentleman indeed, always helpful, and what he does not know about Norwegian salmon is not worth knowing! :)

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Some refreshing news!

There are certainly some of you who have booked a week in August on either the Gaula or the Orkla and wonder what the conditions will be!
I don’t have a crystal ball, but it seems that the water we got in the last few days has slightly brightened up the conditions. There is a good head of fresh fish in both rivers and although the day is not finished yet, it seems that things are moving forward: as I write (local time 09.00pm) the total catches for today in the Gaula are 96 fish (best fish @ 41Ibs, two 30 pounders and a decent number of high twenties) and Orkla are 52 (best fish @ 30Ibs and a few high twenties). Despite the very dry conditions of last week and the fishing closure on the Gaula, the total catches for the two rivers from August 01st to today 09.00pm is 593 salmon. To put things into perspective, the 19 UK rivers listed on Fishpal have registered 793 catches for the same period!
So welcome you are and tight lines!