Trondheim area 2018

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Thanks for your wishes, Slaneybs! Yes I hope to be back on the track in a few weeks! Last year, I seriously damaged my back, beaching my second fish of the season, a good 23 Ibs and then I was off for the reminder of the season, so I am getting used to it! Old age you know! :doh:

Get well soon G, you deserve a decent fish at this stage.
best

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Or any of her offspring...but who are we to preach? Shame, but not the end of the world.

Certainly NOT preaching. I am well used to seeing pictures like that. It is their country and they can do what they want. Just stating fact. Still, that beast would have been fun on the single hander and Orange Muddler. :D:D

woodcockandsewin

Reaction score
Certainly NOT preaching. I am well used to seeing pictures like that. It is their country and they can do what they want. Just stating fact. Still, that beast would have been fun on the single hander and Orange Muddler. :D:D

Royal WE RF...don't worry, she has a sister and older brother! You may need your finest rain dance skirt though. All the snow evaporated in the hot weather and warm winds. Plenty of time yet.

LN

Reaction score
IMG_0003.JPG

After the high tide yesterday evening we finally saw a run of some better sized Fish in the lower Gaula
(Melhus area)

My Fishing buddy caught and released this beauty, 98cm, estimated to 9,3kg

Jock

Reaction score
Thunder and lightening brought in the opening of the 2018 season on the Orkla. This resulted in a landslide up the valley which resulted in dirty unfishable river for over 36 hours where we were

DSC_5993.JPG

Eventually it cleared and I managed this beauty of 108cm estimated 27lbs

DSC_6036.JPG

Around 125 reported so far for the first 6 days.

Jock

Reaction score
Jock.....were you fishing with a Shakey Oracle?

Of course I was:thumb: Heavy duty Ken Sawada tube double right enough along with my trusty yozuri hybrid nylon, gaelforce fly line and danielsson control reel....only the best of gear to handle these big boys in fast water.:D

Hearing shoals of salmon waiting to run the river, so heading off later to Orklanger to look for them. Only 140 recorded so far and we have hardly seen a fish.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Of course I was:thumb: Heavy duty Ken Sawada tube double right enough along with my trusty yozuri hybrid nylon, gaelforce fly line and danielsson control reel....only the best of gear to handle these big boys in fast water.:D

Hearing shoals of salmon waiting to run the river, so heading off later to Orklanger to look for them. Only 140 recorded so far and we have hardly seen a fish.
Just for the record, 140 fish is not too bad for the the first week on the Orkla, specially when one looks at the average weight sofar which is 16Ibs, not the best over the years, but still a solid figure! For the record, the total catch for all Scottish rivers registered on Fishpal was 107 for last week and is 74 sofar this week! So just be happy and enjoy what you have, specially this 27 Ibs!! :D :D

tadger21

Reaction score
There are 3 of us visiting the Gaula on Saturday for a week. Hopefully find a few fish, total contrast to the same week last year when all fishing was below gaulfossen, only when levels were low enough!
Oh the joys?

LN

Reaction score
The Gaula is now at 32kbm/s in Gaulfossen and the water is Clear as gin all the way Down to the sea.
There are, however, a few Fish running at every high tide. For the moment it`s all about beeing in the right spot at the right time. A few beers up in the shelter, and you can miss the whole action for the day.......

LN

Reaction score
Less than 30kmb/s at Gaulfossen now, but still a few fresh Fish running at every high tide.
Went to visit the Eggafossen at the top of the main river, and the Gammelbrufossen at the Bua trib yesterday.
Spotted 5-6 salmon up at Eggafossen, none in Bua.

IMG_0039.JPG

Eggafossen

IMG_0042.JPG

Downstreams from Eggafossen

IMG_0038.JPG

Gammelbrufossen, Bua

IMG_0037.JPG

Downstreams Gammelbrufossen, Bua

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
still very low rivers, and we really need water, in short.

No significant rainfall in the 10 day forecast - which always is a bit of sci fi ...

we have cloud cover now, and colder Nights, which is good given the low water.

Ursus

Last edited:

Jock

Reaction score
still very low rivers, and we really need water, in short.

No significant rainfall in the 10 day forecast - which always is a bit of sci fi ...

we have cloud cover now, and colder Nights, which is good given the low water.

Ursus

Svorkmo was not generating most of the time I was there and still is not generating now. So only a few fish coming in from what we could tell. Plenty down at the river mouth so should be good in the weeks to come.

Here is just one of the many shoals that was waiting to run last Thursday. We reckoned they were all around the 90 to 100 cm mark:wow:

So just be happy and enjoy what you have, specially this 27 Ibs!! :D :D

I am and I did. Love fishing in Norway and always expect it to be hard going. You will never get many but it is always worth the effort. Some cracking fish caught on opening week. Just below us they caught a 46 and 39 lber:wow: Catches on the river still down on what I would have expected but may well pick up given more water. Will be back again next year:D

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
still very low rivers. Gaulfoss 24 m3/s yesterday. Few fishermen are out, especially loclqas. I also hear that some fishermen do not turn up for weekly lets, which in my view is wrong.

Talked to the owner of horgøien/Gaula yesterday, the 2 Fish that were landed there the day before were both sealiced, so Fish are running. (And many are probablky cruising around the estuaries and in the vast fjord).

Cloudcovers, coler and tonight some Heavy Wind. makes it easier for Fish to run in low water. but they feel very exposed in these low, clear water conditions. No serious rainfalls in the long term weather forecast still, but it all Depends on when the Wind swings to the North/west - which is the direction that stuffs clouds into the Orkla and gaula Valleys and bring Heavy rain.

Anyway, it is Worth Fishing, but og for late evenings and eraly mornings in these conditions.

Ursus

Jack: I do not see the pic from Orkla, only a black frame ...

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
still very low rivers. Gaulfoss 24 m3/s yesterday. Few fishermen are out, especially loclqas. I also hear that some fishermen do not turn up for weekly lets, which in my view is wrong.

Talked to the owner of horgøien/Gaula yesterday, the 2 Fish that were landed there the day before were both sealiced, so Fish are running. (And many are probablky cruising around the estuaries and in the vast fjord).

Cloudcovers, coler and tonight some Heavy Wind. makes it easier for Fish to run in low water. but they feel very exposed in these low, clear water conditions. No serious rainfalls in the long term weather forecast still, but it all Depends on when the Wind swings to the North/west - which is the direction that stuffs clouds into the Orkla and gaula Valleys and bring Heavy rain.

Anyway, it is Worth Fishing, but og for late evenings and eraly mornings in these conditions.

Ursus

Jack: I do not see the pic from Orkla, only a black frame ...

I've also been experiencing the same of late UN. I can't see any of the you tube or vid clips, and MacD's Jukebox thread is now an invisible wasteland.

I suspect that it's a problem with older web browsers (I use Explorer 10) being no longer as well supported - If I load the forum using Firefox, I can see the videos no problem!

ibm59

Reaction score
I've also been experiencing the same of late UN. I can't see any of the you tube or vid clips, and MacD's Jukebox thread is now an invisible wasteland.

I suspect that it's a problem with older web browsers (I use Explorer 10) being no longer as well supported - If I load the forum using Firefox, I can see the videos no problem!

Buy yersel a smert phone and all yer troubles will disappear. ;):D

app

Reaction score
Trondheim June 2018

Nothing special going on at the time, obviously. We have had a more steady Winter than we have seen the last decade, and the snow cover is roughly on average for this time of the year. It has been colder than average the last week, and will be so for some time still. No big deal though, but You appreciate working indoors when the gauge in the car shows temps below -20 C when driving to work.

Ursus

Hi Ursus

What are conditions like at the moment? Have you had much rain in the area?

Thanks

Allan