Trondheim area 2018

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Nothing special going on at the time, obviously. We have had a more steady Winter than we have seen the last decade, and the snow cover is roughly on average for this time of the year. It has been colder than average the last week, and will be so for some time still. No big deal though, but You appreciate working indoors when the gauge in the car shows temps below -20 C when driving to work.

Ursus

PAC

Reaction score
Welcome back UN - looking forward to your reports again for this season.

Tight Lines and hope you have a great year.

PAC

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Has there been any substancial snow melt on The Gaula?

Hello DB,
I see that your question has not been answered. Here is the link of the water level for Gaulfossen, which will tell you what is going on. The text is in Norwegian, but you can read the graphs. There was a a flood, but still modest. There is still snow at the very top of the river, but nothing exceptional. The volume per second is around 280 cbm/sec as I write this, which is rather high, as you can see from the red percentile curve on the graph.
Vannf?ring for Gaulfoss Nr:122.9.0
I don’t think we will have a huge flood, as has often been the case in the past, but....?
The water temperature is around 4˚Celsius for the time beeing and that will stop the salmon from going over Gaulfossen. Any volume over 300 cbm/sec will also stop the fish.
Hope this helps!
Tight lines if/when you come to visit the river!
G.
PS: Just in case some might read a criticism to the fact that you did not get an answer earlier, let me just add that UN and I were chasing some Scottish salmon last week and yes, thank you, we did not do too badly! :lol:

Last edited:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Now it seems that the real spring flood is under way on the Gaula, thanks to rather high air temperatures for the last few days. Just to give you some more information regarding the graphs, and help you to read them correctly, an average flood will reach around 1000 cbm/s, a five years flood 1300 cbm/s and the big ones, occurring approximately every 10 years around 1500 cbm/s, with some huge ones, over 2000 cbm/s every half century! :thumb:

Jock

Reaction score
Looks like snowmelt on the Orkla as well.:thumb: Over for the first 9 days and hoping most of the snow will be gone and we get good river heights for our time there.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Looks like snowmelt on the Orkla as well.:thumb: Over for the first 9 days and hoping most of the snow will be gone and we get good river heights for our time there.

Yes Jock, it has also started on the Orkla as could be expected. Just in case you don’t have it, here is the Orkla graph, where one can follow what’s going on:
Vannf?ring for Syrstad Nr:121.22.0
As you know, the Orkla is regulated, so the flood impact should be less than on the Gaula, hopefully!! Tight lines!
G.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Hi, looking at fishing the Gaula at the beginning of August, what is the fishing like then?
Like everywhere else, conditions vary greatly every year, weatherwise, but also due to the presence or absence of grilses! The three years average catch for August 2015-2017 is 879 fish for an average weight of just under 10Ibs. Where you fish in the river will also have an impact, as expected! Tight lines!
G.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Summer and fish has arrived

We had low snow reserves this winter. Due to a combination of very warm weather and very little rain the flood is long gone and the rivers are heading for summer levels.

The first fishes have arrived in the research bagnets. Any fish in the rivers before opening should be able to reach its final destination in the rivers. The Gaulfoss is no temperature barrier this year. Low flow and rapidly increasing water temperature.

Ursus

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
2018 Season

What are your thoughts on the up coming season?
As you have pointed out ,lack of snow reserves,low water levels?
Would you expect most of this years salmon run to come early and run for the hills if conditions are right?
Could the fishing be over by mid July in the lower river or do you expect fish to keep coming into August ?

lax0341

Reaction score
Hi, looking at fishing the Gaula at the beginning of August, what is the fishing like then?

The fishing could be quite good at the beginning of August but also quite difficult. Mostly you can catch some nice Fish between 4 and 10 pound with light tackle, floating line and small to medium size flies.
In very hot and dry years its an extremely difficult time of year.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Update last week before opening

The snow reserves are long gone, as well as the spring flood. And the rivers are already heading for summer Levels. Orkla Down on compensation Levels today and 11,5 C water temp !!, and Gaulfoss around 100 m3/s for a week. And the Nid is Down to compensation flow, don't think I've seen that for many decades in late May. Stjørdal is already Down to summer Levels, roughly 30 m3/s at Hegra bridge this morning.

Any fish entering the rivers can go wherever they want, and they will probably move fast With this temperatures. Hence both Gaula above gaulfoss and Orkla in Rennebu can be good Choices.

The Research bagnets shows an increasing run, but not a big one yet. The stat is only maybe every 6 days now though, so for what I know they may have started flooding in this week. We'll see in a few days.

I might have a few casts on the Nid on Friday, and then I'm off to Fish the beautiful Eira for 3 days. Let's see what happens.

No significant rain in the current 10 day forecast, but the temp is said to og from tropical to below 20 C from Friday and on. We also have a high Level of wildfire risk - so no bonfires !

Ursus

Last edited:

Jock

Reaction score
Indeed unusual weather. Hoping there is enough flow in the Orkla to encourage the fish in. I remember is 2016 driving down to Orkanger to see the shoals of salmon waiting for higher water to run the river, think it was only around 25cubic in the lower river when we were there that year. Well I'll find out soon if they are in the river:) on the Orkla for the first 9 days.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Jock, as I Write is is 33 Cumecs below the Svorkmo outlet. Which translates to something like maybe 40 at the estuary.

The flow at various Points is in this live updated table, scroll Down to see it . The dark blue line is below Svorkmo powesr station. the red line is above the outlet at Brattfoss, near the top. The min flow there is 2 cumecs, so while it runs at around 10 like now it indicates some snowmelt still going on (which is not diverted by tunnels or penned back in dams). It is mainly the trib Byna that Carries unregulated water.

Orkla - Elveguiden

In general, Fish have no problem whatsoever to run the main stem between the outlet of the Svorkmo and the intake at Bjørset when it is running around 21-22 cumecs, which is minimum comp flow.

In general, Fish tend to run at night, especially if the river is low. And at low flow in the estuaries, around the top tide as well. I would not put too much weight on seeing a lot of Fish in the estuary of a given river at certain times. They might also hang around a bit for changing from salt to fresh water, which is very challenging.

In these weather conditions, we often also gets cloud cover after the sun has settled. It looks like that for the remaining days until opening :

Yr – Vaervarsel time for time for Orkanger, Orkdal (Trondelag)

There is also a high tide during night, which coincides With the cloud cover. So if the Fish run, my guess is that it will happen during nighttime.

Tide table :

Tidevannstabell - Trondheim Havn

We also know from the Bjørset Counter - and other Counters - that Fish mainly move upstream during the darkest hour, especially when the water is low and Clear. So I would not put too much emphasis on being Down to the estuary in daylight with a low river and seeing many Fish. I'd put my Fishing effort on evenings and especially (very) early mornings though.

Ursus

Jock

Reaction score
Thanks Bjorn,

i have been been following the river flows and weather forecasts as well as the research catches and yes it looks like early morning and late evening fishing. We are in the bypass so will probably experience around 21 cubic most days. Other friends are fishing mostly below the bypass, they had a bonanza in the first week last year which is unlikely to be repeated but they are hoping.

Always look forward to fishing the Orkla.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
For some years, a higher flow through the tunnel than the main stem combined With low temps made the Fish "hang around" in the lower river. The conditions around the outlet changed quite a lot a few years ago due to ice moving Things around. This year the temp is high and the flow is low.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Update just before the season opens

The weather is the warmest for a May ever recorded, the flow is as low as nearly ever seen at this time of year, and the water temp is unusually high given the time of the year. In general, what I'd expect to maybe see well into July. What is means for the Fishing is unclear, apart from possibly a full floater approach instead of sink 3 or more ...

A good amont of 2 sw Fish/ mellomlaks in the last 6 day Research bagnet Count, nearly 80. In total a bit more than 100 Fish. This translates to a guesstimate of last weeks run like (102 / 2%) x 7/6, which is something like a bit short of 6.000 Fish. So the Fish are running into the fjord in large numbers now, and some should be well up in the rivers already. No significant rain in the 10 day forecast by the way.

tight lines to everyone who is out the first few days !

Gauldalen

Reaction score
The weather is the warmest for a May ever recorded, the flow is as low as nearly ever seen at this time of year, and the water temp is unusually high given the time of the year. In general, what I'd expect to maybe see well into July. What is means for the Fishing is unclear, apart from possibly a full floater approach instead of sink 3 or more ...

A good amont of 2 sw Fish/ mellomlaks in the last 6 day Research bagnet Count, nearly 80. In total a bit more than 100 Fish. This translates to a guesstimate of last weeks run like (102 / 2%) x 7/6, which is something like a bit short of 6.000 Fish. So the Fish are running into the fjord in large numbers now, and some should be well up in the rivers already. No significant rain in the 10 day forecast by the way.

tight lines to everyone who is out the first few days !
While UN is chasing salmon on a lovely river, I am confined to my armchair, thanks to two broken ribs and a stupid accident which occurred two days prior to the opening day. I have therefore plenty of time to convey some info as to the fishing results for the first three days of the season:
The Gaula runs at 60 m3/s and the water temp is at 16.6˚C. The temporary reported catch for the three days is 56 fish, average weight around 17Ibs and a belter of 41Ibs. Fish have been caught from the top to the bottom of the river.
The Orkla runs at 27 m3/s at the Syrstad gauge and the water temp is similar to the Gaula. 31 fish reported sofar, with an average weight of 17 Ibs. Best fish 24Ibs. The river was disturbed by a very powerful flash flood, due to a thunderstorm on the first day. The water became very dirty for a while, but cleared up rather fast.
The Stjørdal water level is very low with a rather high temperature, and the reported catch number is 14 fish, with a best fish of 27Ibs.
As UN mentioned above, the weather conditions won’t bring much water in the next few weeks, but there seems to be a good head of fish in all the Trondheim area. We will just have to wait and see!
Tight lines for those of you who might visit the area in the near future!

Last edited:

Slaneybs

Reaction score
While UN is chasing salmon on a lovely river, I am confined to my armchair, thanks to two broken ribs and a stupid accident which occurred two days prior to the opening day.

Sorry to hear that you are out of action. a possible meeting with a 41lber with a couple of broken ribs doesnt sound like a good idea. Hopefully you will be able to have a cast before your season end there.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you are out of action. a possible meeting with a 41lber with a couple of broken ribs doesnt sound like a good idea. Hopefully you will be able to have a cast before your season end there.
Thanks for your wishes, Slaneybs! Yes I hope to be back on the track in a few weeks! Last year, I seriously damaged my back, beaching my second fish of the season, a good 23 Ibs and then I was off for the reminder of the season, so I am getting used to it! Old age you know! :doh: