Trolling sprats on Loch Ness

Mr Ferox

Reaction score
Hi fellow fishers. Im new to this forum. Ive been trolling on Loch Ness for the last 6 years. Ive caught lots of Salmon, Ferox Trout, Sea Trout, Brown Trout on the Loch.

The method that ive never tried is trolling cured dyed sprats for Salmon. There seems to be very little literature on this topic in Scotland, especially Loch Ness. Some traditional fishers on Loch Lomond still apply it i believe. Its a very successful method and would love to add it to my arsenal of tactics.

Is anybody out there willing to share their experiences and hard earned knowledge.

Regards Mr Ferox

Mr Ferox

Reaction score

salmo76

Reaction score
Written by Euan Mc Grandle I believe , he really knows his stuff and writes a great article . His family history on Lomond goes back generations and his knowledge and historical stories of angling on the loch are a must read for any aspiring lomond angler. The articles by Peter Lyons and Angus Mac Ritchie, detailing their methods are of equal quality , definitely work and are a must read also.

Lomond is very accessible for fishing , is loch Ness readily accessible for those with their own boats ?
What sort of techniques , lures do you find work well up there for the salmon and trout ?

Last edited:

Mr Ferox

Reaction score
The thesis linked below doesn’t talk tactics but does inform comprehensively on the UK Ferox which I found really interesting and relevant, like you I fish Loch Ness when I can. Thanks go to the author Martin Hughes.

http://theses.gla.ac.uk/8280/1/2017HughesPhD.pdf
Hi MKB. Glad to see someone else who fishes Loch Ness on here. Whats your preferences on the loch. You obviously have a fair interest in salmon, otherwise you would not be on this forum! Im assuming you have an intrest in Ferox Trout too? Im very enthusiastic about both Salmon and Ferox. I could be on this topics for ever.

Do you fish regularly on Loch Ness? Do you moor a boat on the Loch. Whats your best fish? Best methods for big Ferox?

salmo76

Reaction score
Hi MKB. Glad to see someone else who fishes Loch Ness on here. Whats your preferences on the loch. You obviously have a fair interest in salmon, otherwise you would not be on this forum! Im assuming you have an intrest in Ferox Trout too? Im very enthusiastic about both Salmon and Ferox. I could be on this topics for ever.

Do you fish regularly on Loch Ness? Do you moor a boat on the Loch. Whats your best fish? Best methods for big Ferox?
For someone who has caught "lots of salmon , ferox , seatrout and brown trout " on your long six years of trolling on loch Ness , you seem to have a lot more questions than answers.

Mr Ferox

Reaction score
Written by Euan Mc Grandle I believe , he really knows his stuff and writes a great article . His family history on Lomond goes back generations and his knowledge and historical stories of angling on the loch are a must read for any aspiring lomond angler. The articles by Peter Lyons and Angus Mac Ritchie, detailing their methods are of equal quality , definitely work and are a must read also.

Lomond is very accessible for fishing , is loch Ness readily accessible for those with their own boats ?
What sort of techniques , lures do you find work well up there for the salmon and trout ?
Hi Salmo 76. Thanks for your reply. Ive tried many different lures on Loch Ness for Salmon. Almost every Salmon ive caught have been on a 12g copper Toby on the side rods. The biggest of the tobies which im sure you will be very familiar with is the Salmo toby. Had only a single grilse to that fished short on the poker rod. It was a silver pattern. Ive tried Rapalas for Salmon in the Loch but to no avail. They certainly seem to work for some folk but not for me. I catch lots of Ferox on downriggers. I use J plugs, Tomic Lures, Shad Rap Rapalas. But more often than not a 'shoal of trolled deadbaits' , small trout, roach, sardines, but have quite often caught a Ferox on a trolled dead trout which was near a pound in weight (the bait was near a pound).

Access is really limited on the Loch. Most fishers obtain a license from a riparian owner.

A very good article by Euan Macgrandle. Ive read it lots of times. Ive just obtained a copy of a book called Angling on Lomond by Bill McEwan. Wow, what a good read that is.

salmo76

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I thought you had forgotten about my questions. Yes, I thought access would be problematic as Lomond is a very , very rare exception in Scotland where private salmon fishing rights are generally closely guarded.

Interesting that you use such small tobies for salmon as on Lomond 18gm is considered the optimum size. Just shows, yet again , that just because one method works well in one loch / river it doesn`t mean it is of universal application.

Last edited:

Mr Ferox

Reaction score
For someone who has caught "lots of salmon , ferox , seatrout and brown trout " on your long six years of trolling on loch Ness , you seem to have a lot more questions than answers.
Nothing wrong in asking questions and learning new things and tricks

salmo76

Reaction score
would the sprat work in brackish water fished in the current on flowing trace.
Apart from some places in the western isles I haven`t heard of anyone who has had much success fishing in brackish estuaries for salmon.

StuA15

Reaction score
The articles by Peter Lyons and Angus Mac Ritchie, detailing their methods are of equal quality , definitely work and are a must read also.
Amazing to see the name Peter Lyons, 30 years after he coached me on the capture of my first ever Salmon on a day on the Loch with him and my dad. Thats fair made me smile.