Trolling prawns?? On a loch?

Mr Ferox

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Salmon can be caught on lures, sprats, rapalas etc trolling Scottish lochs. Can an application of trolling prawns be used? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

pellinore

Reaction score
Never heard of it and its difficult to trial because if you troll for a week and dont catch anything, you will be none the wiser!
Certainly a prawn can elicit a huge response from fish in a pool. Maybe a drifter float would be an idea because I dont fancy the prawn's chances of staying in one piece after 10 mins trolling.

Mr Ferox

Reaction score
Never heard of it and its difficult to trial because if you troll for a week and dont catch anything, you will be none the wiser!
Certainly a prawn can elicit a huge response from fish in a pool. Maybe a drifter float would be an idea because I dont fancy the prawn's chances of staying in one piece after 10 mins trolling.
I suspect nobody does it for a reason. I agree, not sure a prawn would last 10 minutes let alone a 10 mile trolling session.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I thought prawns were banned in Scotland? certainly are in the rivers! But if ok on the lochs i am sure they could be rigged to troll, maybe slowly, but should be fine, even if you have to change every so often, they are cheap, and a bit of pre-rigging allows instant changes.

Isisalar

Reaction score
I encountered a poacher on Loch Ness once who used a bubble float and a shrimp /prawn. Didn't see him catch but he did have a take.