Travel Rods for Norway

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
I was unfortunate enough to miss John Norris's sale of NT8's recently. I am off to Norway next year and as such am looking for travel rods to take over there. The NT8's are top of my list but I see that the ELEVATIONS are cheap enough.
What are peoples thoughts on these? Cheers

chriswjx

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
I was unfortunate enough to miss John Norris's sale of NT8's recently. I am off to Norway next year and as such am looking for travel rods to take over there. The NT8's are top of my list but I see that the ELEVATIONS are cheap enough.

Out of curiosity is renting gear possible when you go out there? That could be a good alternative if you could find sound gear to get.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Try an RJC, they are all 6 piece and worth every penny 😄
Aye, I've looked at them. Sure the finish is amazing and if you salmon happy lot say they are good I am happy with that. Thing is, its justifying that amount of spend for 1 trip a year. I can justify it....... but the gaffer can easily find the chinks in that argument! :)

paddymc

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
If you are going to Norway, would that involve using heavy tips and/or sinking heads ?

If so, I would look no further than a Gaelforce Destination. Easy to use, will cast any style of line and has a good sturdy tip that makes lifting out sinking lines a doddle.

nickolas

Reaction score
i have been traveling to north Norway for 9 years, sometimes direct to Lakselv via Oslo or three flights via Thomson. I take three double handers 2 6 piece and 13ft zenith, I had a bag made buy sail makers in Montose to take the Zenith, I have never paid excess baggage, the bag cost £100 approx. so if you really like your four piece just get a bag made with water proof zip and material Colour of your choice.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
i have been traveling to north Norway for 9 years, sometimes direct to Lakselv via Oslo or three flights via Thomson. I take three double handers 2 6 piece and 13ft zenith, I had a bag made buy sail makers in Montose to take the Zenith, I have never paid excess baggage, the bag cost £100 approx. so if you really like your four piece just get a bag made with water proof zip and material Colour of your choice.
Actually, a really great idea that. I have just shelled out £150 for the Guideline bag. If I get a bag made, then I can place my rods into that.
Or, buy a golf bag and put it all in that as per MCXFisher.
Great ideas these.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Seriously cheaper than a set of travel rods. Golf club carrier, $100, not sure what they cost here. Takes a 4 piece 13,6” (Meiser)

E3D2D2DF-6573-4950-A505-3DA810BBC102.jpeg

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Seriously cheaper than a set of travel rods. Golf club carrier, $100, not sure what they cost here. Takes a 4 piece 13,6” (Meiser)

View attachment 66830
Hi Grassy Knollington,

you've hit the nail on the head. I am plumbing for a Golf Travel Bag for everything. I reckon that I can get not only my rods/reels/waders etc., in one of these....... but I can get all of my clothes in there as well! That means no hand baggage and everything goes in 1 bag. Its a bit more expensive here across the pond, but £180 for a well padded bag with internal straps and wheels means I can get everything in there and it will save me spending £thousands on new rods.
Great idea and definitely aligned with you on this one!

chriswjx

Reaction score
Hi Grassy Knollington,

you've hit the nail on the head. I am plumbing for a Golf Travel Bag for everything. I reckon that I can get not only my rods/reels/waders etc., in one of these....... but I can get all of my clothes in there as well! That means no hand baggage and everything goes in 1 bag. Its a bit more expensive here across the pond, but £180 for a well padded bag with internal straps and wheels means I can get everything in there and it will save me spending £thousands on new rods.
Great idea and definitely aligned with you on this one!

Gives you more money to spend on other rods ;) 🤣

sgellert

Reaction score
I have a couple of NT8s, but just bought the Elevation T-Pac 14' #9-10.
Just tried it from a bridge with a 650 grain Rio Skagit Max Long, perfect rod.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I have a couple of NT8s, but just bought the Elevation T-Pac 14' #9-10.
Just tried it from a bridge with a 650 grain Rio Skagit Max Long, perfect rod.
I cast the 13' 8wt. Effortlessly cast 30yds with it. I thought it was a lovely rod.

q4fario

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
John Norris have a couple of ex-demo NT8's for sale. They are more like "well used" than demo models but may be an option

Geordieboy

Reaction score
John Norris have a couple of ex-demo NT8's for sale. They are more like "well used" than demo models but may be an option
Hi q4fario, I was on the verge of a purchase, but they only have the 14'9" 10/11 rod. If they had the 12'9 and the 13'9 as well, I would have bought them.
As it happens, now I can buy a golf bag and fit everything in there, thats what I am going to do. It saves me the £1500 spend on rods or the £80 extra for luggage I will need to spend by taking my own rods over as extra baggage.
Thanks for the heads up all the same!!! :)

q4fario

Reaction score
Hi q4fario, I was on the verge of a purchase, but they only have the 14'9" 10/11 rod. If they had the 12'9 and the 13'9 as well, I would have bought them.
As it happens, now I can buy a golf bag and fit everything in there, thats what I am going to do. It saves me the £1500 spend on rods or the £80 extra for luggage I will need to spend by taking my own rods over as extra baggage.
Thanks for the heads up all the same!!! :)
Great idea, I bought the 13'9" and sent it back as it wasnt ex demo so only worth the used price, I may come available again!!

pfeul

Reaction score

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I've no problem with used rods. My Sage trout rids have taken a battering and are still going strong after 23 years

pfeul

Reaction score
if you fancy build your on rod, Mick Bell also provides a 14'6" 10/11 6 pieces double handed blank at a very resonable price