Tradesman’s Corner

lefthandup

Reaction score
Same old today, another wall built and copings on the first..I'm just finished...11 HR shift... blitzing it now though ..those slate copes were heavy ( 3 man job) .

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_181547.jpg
    IMG_20210902_181547.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20210902_181604.jpg
    IMG_20210902_181604.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20210902_181528.jpg
    IMG_20210902_181528.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 84

speers

Reaction score

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I Have a tap almost identical to this, the pressure is to high so water is wetting the room , and family members, the plumber who fitted it obviously thought it was o.k. How do i sort it out,
Bye the way nice job, i will use wet wall next time.
The plumber should of fitted ball valves on the hot and cold feeds to the tap. If you use a small flat head screwdriver and close each valve slightly this will reduce the pressure coming out of the tap.

budge

Reaction score
The plumber should of fitted ball valves on the hot and cold feeds to the tap. If you use a small flat head screwdriver and close each valve slightly this will reduce the pressure coming out of the tap.
Just fitted the same taps in my lads bathroom and they were almost firing water over the lip of the washbasin when we tried them. Luckily I always fit isolation valves so it was a simple job to regulate the pressure. I've often found systems without isolating valves fitted though

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Talking about taps, when i was a heating engineer i accidently crossed some pipes coming out of a duct and had 3 sets of toilets and 2 hospital wards with hot flushing toilets

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Talking about taps, when i was a heating engineer i accidently crossed some pipes coming out of a duct and had 3 sets of toilets and 2 hospital wards with hot flushing toilets

Brings a whole new meaning to having a hot flush !

Rrrr

Reaction score
Brings a whole new meaning to having a hot flush !
Aye, they took the piss with that one for a while.

Also managed to get the full dental hospital evacuated plus a section of the normal hospital, 5 fire engines and angry firemen. Id asked the hospital works department to isolate the fire alarms where i was soldering and had all the paperwork from them to say it was done. Turns out they hadnt botherd isolating them and 2 of us ended up setting the fire alarm system off. Not our fault technicaly but still got the piss taken for quite a while

speers

Reaction score
Just fitted the same taps in my lads bathroom and they were almost firing water over the lip of the washbasin when we tried them. Luckily I always fit isolation valves so it was a simple job to regulate the pressure. I've often found systems without isolating valves fitted though

Thats what I thought! However the idiot hasn't done, so im guessing I will have to isolate the water and put valves in myself, would this be the quickest solution or is there another simpler way of turning the pressure down at the tap head.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
If I was getting any new taps and piepwork, I would definitely have isolation valves fitted. Most of mine didn't (1960s house) and if you have a problem (I've had a few), your only option is to turn the water off at the main stopcock, not very convenient.

budge

Reaction score
Thats what I thought! However the idiot hasn't done, so im guessing I will have to isolate the water and put valves in myself, would this be the quickest solution or is there another simpler way of turning the pressure down at the tap head.
There's no way of restricting the taps that I know of so fitting ball valves is the only solution. It seems common practice for plumbers not to fit them as I found after having a new kitchen installed a few years ago. I can't understand why as they are dirt cheap to buy ? Maybe just a case of "not my problem" once the job is done ?

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
There's no way of restricting the taps that I know of so fitting ball valves is the only solution. It seems common practice for plumbers not to fit them as I found after having a new kitchen installed a few years ago. I can't understand why as they are dirt cheap to buy ? Maybe just a case of "not my problem" once the job is done ?

I suspect for many it is just getting the job done as quickly and cheaply as possible and moving onto the next job.

You would hope better ones would ask if you wanted ball valves and/or isolation valves as most people don't even think about that sort of detail until something happens or after the event.

ian74

Reaction score
Try turning the main stopcock back a bit... trial and error?

Rrrr

Reaction score

Usualy a case of less joints then less chance of leaks.

budge

Reaction score
Trouble with that one it restricts everything including combi boiler and shower.

budge

Reaction score
Usualy a case of less joints then less chance of leaks.

Yeah most aren't partial to compression joints but seem happy to use push-fit.

speers

Reaction score

Yeah most aren't partial to compression joints but seem happy to use push-fit.

Thankyou guys for all your suggestions, worth an ask to tradesman that get where I am at. Seems ill have to sort it out myself as decent plumbers are very thin on the ground up here!
This is not me being spiteful, it is just a fact. Best just to suck it up and do my research.(y);)

budge

Reaction score
Thankyou guys for all your suggestions, worth an ask to tradesman that get where I am at. Seems ill have to sort it out myself as decent plumbers are very thin on the ground up here!
This is not me being spiteful, it is just a fact. Best just to suck it up and do my research.(y);)
You might be able to fit valves without any pipe cutting. If the tap is connected with flexi tails with nuts joining to the copper you can possibly swap the compression fitting for a valve using the same nut and olive. Just make sure you align the arrow on the valve in direction of flow.

Linloskin

Reaction score
You might be able to fit valves without any pipe cutting. If the tap is connected with flexi tails with nuts joining to the copper you can possibly swap the compression fitting for a valve using the same nut and olive. Just make sure you align the arrow on the valve in direction of flow.

Fitting ballifix type isolation valves will not alter the pressure at the tap outlet. The pressure will be the same either side of the valve. However by turning back the valve you will reduce the flow. You can get inline flow restrictors which will limit the flow to a given rate ie 6 litres per minute. Its a simple process to fit a compression fitting provided you use a pipe slice.
Can never understand why plumbers don't fit iso valves at all outlets. My plumbers always fit them because it makes any future work so easy. We go through hundreds a year!
LL