Tradesman’s Corner

budge

Reaction score
Agree! Whatever happened to the old type of stain that soaked into the wood then a few years later just re coat! Like the old spirit based cuprinol! Not the new waterbased crap cuprinol?
Fencing is same. My back garden fence is over 40 years old and still going due to soaking in creosote. Front fence is 5 years old and looks knackered was only repainted last year with water based shite.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

marty31

Reaction score
Jet wash - sand / decking brushed then dried / swept

Cuprinol / Ronseal water based doesn’t last long, they all fail and you have to reapply every year or so

if the deckings been treated and not unsightly then I’d go for a low build stain - Arborcoat or Sadolin classic. If it’s unsightly, Benjamin Moore or Tikkurila products would do something.

DCH
I was on a site recently, and two older painters were treating a old wooden stable! They mentioned also about the water based stain crap! One remarked that the old way used to be, using a mix of old engine oil and petrol 🤣 they also commented that smokers had to keep well away for at least a month 🤣

Rrrr

Reaction score
I was on a site recently, and two older painters were treating a old wooden stable! They mentioned also about the water based stain crap! One remarked that the old way used to be, using a mix of old engine oil and petrol they also commented that smokers had to keep well away for at least a month
Old engine oil thinned with diesel used to be great for making fences last forever. Not sure if the modern fully synthetec stuff would work the same.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

RICKY21

Reaction score
I was on a site recently, and two older painters were treating a old wooden stable! They mentioned also about the water based stain crap! One remarked that the old way used to be, using a mix of old engine oil and petrol 🤣 they also commented that smokers had to keep well away for at least a month 🤣
I mix creosote and old engine oil approx. 50/50 for the fencing. Soaks in great and lasts, which is a blessing, leaving time for more important things in life than painting fencing :)

Tony Mac

Reaction score
I had a go at tiling my under stairs toilet last week. I had previously tiled a floor about 10 years ago and this was my first attempt at tiling a wall.
I think it turned out reasonably well, fitted a new PVC sill as well that I had to cut to size

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Greegs

Reaction score
I had a go at tiling my under stairs toilet last week. I had previously tiled a floor about 10 years ago and this was my first attempt at tiling a wall.
I think it turned out reasonably well, fitted a new PVC sill as well that I had to cut to size

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Not a bad effort there.

I’ve been tiling for 20yrs now & run my own business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Found a rattle on a customers car today, also found my ratchet that went missing about a year ago and was causing the rattle
Its been in there a year but only started rattling this week

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Found a rattle on a customers car today, also found my ratchet that went missing about a year ago and was causing the rattle

Brilliant!

budge

Reaction score

Nice work ! £100 to "fix" the rattle and a bit of WD 40 to sort your ratchet just hope the customer isn't on the forum.

budge

Reaction score
Tearing my hair out trying to finish my son's bathroom this week. Cheap Chinese crap ordered online that's caused problems at every turn Told him to order locally and pay a bit more but he knows best. I hope he's learned a valuable lesson.

budge

Reaction score
Hallelujah ! Finally got the bathroom sorted today. The usual fiddly finishing off bits that took the longest to do but it looks pretty good now. On with the kitchen, skirtings, doors and painting next hopefully I can get a decent few days on the river before the seasons over.

tadpole

Reaction score

Good job your not a surgeon😂

mc andy

Reaction score
I was a male stripper in a brothel boy, yesterday ….. today lining poor walls in prep for tomorrow’s full paper, one feature wall Cole & Son £170 a roll …..1 coat Dulux Supermatt BW emulsion on the reef 👍😀

View attachment 64746

DCH
Just out of curiosity? What width is your lining? It looks like 700mm on the table, but half the width of the room? ( more like 1.2m?) I'm old school still use 1000grade quad rolls.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity? What width is your lining? It looks like 700mm on the table, but half the width of the room? ( more like 1.2m?) I'm old school still use 1000grade quad rolls.
Anaglypta double lined 560mm x 20m

11.2m2 coverage

1400 grade

maybe looks wider on table as there’s a few strips cut and the top sheet is positioned on edge of table for pasting

edit - just looked at the picture, no just one strip 560mm width

DCH