Tradesman’s Corner

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I only remember as they changed the colour they sold half way through doing the job so he had me on for hours trying to locate tubs of the old colour online

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
I’ve actually had to take a couple tubs back as they were solid.
looks great dry. Just like solid sand

budge

Reaction score
I’m using this fancy new stuff. It’s called jointing compound. £25+ a tub but worth it. It’s goes down like damp sticky sand. You brush it in them compact it down with a pointing trowel then put more in. It goes solid like stone but is a bit flexible. I will take pics later today and post them
I will tell my neighbour about that stuff. Will give him something new to try next week

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

lefthandup

Reaction score
Quoins formed on some of the windows with the random stonework in-between.
IMG_20210813_162311.jpg
IMG_20210813_162313.jpg

marty31

Reaction score
No fancy expensive pointing compounds here! Nothing wrong with good old fashioned sand and cement pointing! If? The flags are laid proper on sand and cement beds and the pointing is mixed proper and deep! The main thing is the flag is a " rocker " if it is nothing will work😅 basically!! Take it out! Knock the bed out deep! And rebed it properly? Short cuts just wont work🤣🤣
20210320_122715.jpg
20210320_122408.jpg

Attachments

• 20210320_122406.jpg
    20210320_122406.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37

westie4566

Reaction score
Sika do loads of great stuff. My main use is, and has been in the past, their marine stuff. Sikaflex is almost an industry standard this side of the pond as a marine grade flexible adhesive.

My next use of it will be in fitting the new Utile rubbing strake to the boat. (That's also stainless through bolted before you ask, lol)

I also like the Fischer Epoxy mortars. Used them for yonks for fixing anchors whilst installing huge, heavy awnings. Never had one even twitch on my over the years. Hope I'm not tempting fate it still being Friday 13th! Tried the Diall stuff recently...what a load of s'hite. It was going off quicker than I could seat threaded rod!!

Back to this side of the pond. The stuff our 'merican cousins can lay their hands on is just amazing in comparison and usually half the price

marty31

Reaction score
Sika do loads of great stuff. My main use is, and has been in the past, their marine stuff. Sikaflex is almost an industry standard this side of the pond as a marine grade flexible adhesive.

My next use of it will be in fitting the new Utile rubbing strake to the boat. (That's also stainless through bolted before you ask, lol)

I also like the Fischer Epoxy mortars. Used them for yonks for fixing anchors whilst installing huge, heavy awnings. Never had one even twitch on my over the years. Hope I'm not tempting fate it still being Friday 13th! Tried the Diall stuff recently...what a load of s'hite. It was going off quicker than I could seat threaded rod!!

Back to this side of the pond. The stuff our 'merican cousins can lay their hands on is just amazing in comparison and usually half the price
Its certainly been about a while, we used
"Sika" as a aditive to cement for rapid setting when plugging leaks in concrete tanks, chambers, and manholes 35 years ago! Expensive! But nothing to out perfom it!! But i didnd realise the range of products was so vast!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Any tradesmen know the best stuff to paint decking with ? Used some stuff last year and looked good but its at my caravan and under the trees and gets coverd in sticky tree stuff.
Jetwashed it off and the decking paint came with it

marty31

Reaction score
Any tradesmen know the best stuff to paint decking with ? Used some stuff last year and looked good but its at my caravan and under the trees and gets coverd in sticky tree stuff.

Dont use the new water based crap Rrrr i used it ontop of my properly prepared dry deck and to be honest, it looked great! That was last summer, now its peeleng slowly off! It was a good make and put on carefully and properly.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Dont use the new water based crap Rrrr i used it ontop of my properly prepared dry deck and to be honest, it looked great! That was last summer, now its peeleng slowly off! It was a good make and put on carefully and properly.
Yea this stuff was the same, not cheap and applied properly to the decking which id taken back to bare wood. It did look abit thin when i applied it but coated well and looked good. It just washed off with a light jetwash and also where rain had dripped from a blocked gutter during the winter.
Might sand it and treat it with oil and see how that does.

westie4566

Reaction score
This stuff would be great for your decks chaps. A great finish and it lasts. Again developed for a marine environment that's way harsher than a back garden.

scoops

Reaction score

Not a tradesman but I had the same issue at my old house, ended up stripping it right back and using some coloured decking oil, far easier to keep
Went for the composite decking at new place even easier still to keep

Rrrr

Reaction score
Not a tradesman but I had the same issue at my old house, ended up stripping it right back and using some coloured decking oil, far easier to keep
Went for the composite decking at new place even easier still to keep
Got the odd board that will need changed in a year or 2 so im thinking about going with composite at that point.
Its in a terrible place really, under trees and no shelter from wind or rain coming down the valley.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
Jet wash - sand / decking brushed then dried / swept

Cuprinol / Ronseal water based doesn’t last long, they all fail and you have to reapply every year or so

if the deckings been treated and not unsightly then I’d go for a low build stain - Arborcoat or Sadolin classic. If it’s unsightly, Benjamin Moore or Tikkurila products would do something.

DCH

marty31

Reaction score
Jet wash - sand / decking brushed then dried / swept

Cuprinol / Ronseal water based doesn’t last long, they all fail and you have to reapply every year or so

if the deckings been treated and not unsightly then I’d go for a low build stain - Arborcoat or Sadolin classic. If it’s unsightly, Benjamin Moore or Tikkurila products would do something.

DCH
Agree! Whatever happened to the old type of stain that soaked into the wood then a few years later just re coat! Like the old spirit based cuprinol! Not the new waterbased crap cuprinol?